PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been around for a while so this post will include some thoughts that go beyond today's game. As always I apologize in advance for any redundancies.

1. Watching Brady play today made me appreciate all that he's accomplished in the past even more. Today he was merely mortal. A decent NFL QB, playing in an offense that is clearly struggling to find itself.

He is clearly hurting and its affecting his accuracy on the short balls and his ability to deliver on the long ones. If this team has hopes of going beyond winning one home playoff game, Brady will have to somehow get healthy enough to regain his touch.

2. I can't tell you how happy I am that reports from Jaws and Hodge have laid the LIE to all the hand wringing media mongers who were ready to dismiss Randy Moss. The fact is that MOST NFL players could be savaged by isolating 3-5 plays from any game. What they did to Moss was patently UNFAIR, and only showed how ignorant of the game some of these guys are...even the ones who should know better.

3. That being said, the sad fact is that IMHO Randy Moss is no longer among the elite WRs in the league. I think that NOW a few of the top CBs CAN cover him one on one. That doesn't mean that he's done. NO! Not by any means. Instead of being one of the top 3 WRs in the league, he's now one of the top 12. I know I don't have a problem with that. The fact remains that when a guy gets to his age, with all that mileage, you just have to lower your expectations a tad.

IMHO he is now "just" a VERY good WR, who is still capable of making the occassional spectacular play. Im glad he's on our team and Michael Felger can go F**k himself. ;).

4. Back to the offense. I'm having a real problem with the offense. I don't know who to blame. Is it the coordinator, or is it Brady. Either way some how IMHO, we aren't utilizing all the talent that is there.

First for some reason the TE has ceased to be an integral part of our passing attack. Its not only never sending Watson up the seam, but what happened to the TE screens, the delays, and short dump offs that SHOULD be open given the attention given to Moss and Welker.'

Secondly, we also have forgotten our RBs as wide receivers. Early in the 4th quarter on a third down pass, Brady forced a ball into a well covered Welker, when Kevin Faulk was totally UNCOVERED in the flat....no one within 10 yds of him. (I point out this play because it is not often that you get a camera angle that allows you to see this). I would think that delays and dump offs to our RBs would be VERY successful, especially as more an more teams send pressure on Brady.

5. Moroney is pretty much shutting up the haters. Good for him...though I'd like to see more of him in the passing game

6. On the defensive side. - Well it was nice to see some Ron Brace footage. It wasn't always pretty, but I saw enough positives, IMHO, to feel better about him. After that first drive, I was thinking its all his fault, but then I took a closer look.

The good thing was that he wasn't being blown OFF the LOS. Where he got into trouble was that the double team was able to TURN him and move him DOWN the LOS, widening the hole. That is just a matter of recognition and technique, and that's just a matter of time and experience. If I were the DC, when I had Brace in there, I'd be slanting or gapping him as often as I could. Keeping him aggressive and not having to read and react.

7. That being said, I thought the DC did a very good job, given the injuries he had to deal with. The blitzes were effective, and the disguises were good enough that even when we only rushed 4 or 5, we got good pressure.

8. Is it just me, or is anyone else "underwhelmed" with the play of Jerard Mayo this season. Can you think of a single play in recent games that he made that made you go "wow". I can't.

9. You know how you felt after the Colt and Miami games. You know, that sickening feeling that drove you to think about anything EXCEPT football for about half a week. Well, think about this. How would you like to be a poor Jet fan, and have had that sick feeling FIVE TIMES this season, because that's how many Colt type loses they have had this season including today. Man it has GOT to be painful.

As a regular contributor over at Jetsinsider, its so bad after today, that I don't have the heart to post. I mean, its so bad, that I'm feeling sorry for them. All that pain, with NONE of the upside to fall back on. You just have to admire the tenacity :D

10. Bad day for the punter, I hope he's renting. Speaking of special teams, anyone one else notice that the Ghost is no longer booming his KOs into the endzone. Today ALL his KOs barely got to the 10. What's up with that?

11. Tough game this week. I'm bitterly disappoint at how well Jacksonville is playing this season. At the start of their season, it looked like their second round pick would bring us a guy in the 30's, and now we will be lucky to get on in the 50's. Damned them. ;)

Here's to your knowledgeable observations, and a return to good health for our players.

Last edited:
anyone one else notice that the Ghost is no longer boom his KOs into the endzone. Today ALL his KOs barely got to the 10. What's up with that?

I think it had a lot to do with COLD and WIND. I also think he may be a bit banged up. Not so much that he can't nail 47+ yard FGs, though!

Theres not eleven receivers Id take over Moss, I still think hes in the top 5-7 range.

Very concerned about Meriweather's tackling...

3. That being said, the sad fact is that IMHO Randy Moss is no longer among the elite WRs in the league. I think that NOW a few of the top CBs CAN cover him one on one. That doesn't mean that he's done. NO! Not by any means. Instead of being one of the top 3 WRs in the league, he's now one of the top 12. I know I don't have a problem with that. The fact remains that when a guy gets to his age, with all that mileage, you just have to lower your expectations a tad.

Perhaps being the consumate apologist have to wonder if his back problems come and go, last week he played "stiff"... this week he seemed more fluid.I think he is still an elite receiver.

Aiken is not a solid 3 receiver, he seems to be more of a decoy

4. Back to the offense. I'm having a real problem with the offense. I don't know who to blame. Is it the coordinator, or is it Brady. Either way some how IMHO, we aren't utilizing all the talent that is there.

First for some reason the TE has ceased to be an integral part of our passing attack. Its not only never sending Watson up the seam, but what happened to the TE screens, the delays, and short dump offs that SHOULD be open given the attention given to Moss and Welker.'

Secondly, we also have forgotten our RBs as wide receivers. Early in the 4th quarter on a third down pass, Brady forced a ball into a well covered Welker, when Kevin Faulk was totally UNCOVERED in the flat....no one within 10 yds of him. (I point out this play because it is not often that you get a camera angle that allows you to see this). I would think that delays and dump offs to our RBs would be VERY successful, especially as more an more teams send pressure on Brady.

Could not agree more, Watson is more than capable and should be involved... did not see many screens today.. the play calling sucks pure and simple, needs to be done differently...

5. Moroney is pretty much shutting up the haters. Good for him...though I'd like to see more of him in the passing game

I agree, the Maroney is made of glass threads are missing and he seems as good as he ever has been..

7. That being said, I thought the DC did a very good job, given the injuries he had to deal with. The blitzes were effective, and the disguises were good enough that even when we only rushed 4 or 5, we got good pressure.

I like what he did, not sure how it would work on a really good team.. but effective today, liked the 6 sacks..

8. Is it just me, or is anyone else "underwhelmed" with the play of Jerard Mayo this season. Can you think of a single play in recent games that he made that made you go "wow". I can't.

I believe he is playing hurt, bad knee... he is about 60-70%...

10. Bad day for the punter, I hope he's renting. Speaking of special teams, anyone one else notice that the Ghost is no longer boom his KOs into the endzone. Today ALL his KOs barely got to the 10. What's up with that?

Thought he was having a good season up to today, in the past BB has praised him highly this year... could have been the weather... lots of runback yardage.

He looks for the big hit too often, instead of knocking the ball down he seems to rather want to nail the guy and create an incomplete pass that way.

He looks for the big hit too often, instead of knocking the ball down he seems to rather want to nail the guy and create an incomplete pass that way.

It's a technique thing with him. He doesn't wrap up ballcarriers or "drive" into them with his legs.

Meriweather didn't try and tackle. He went for the big hit.. Which is bad.. And I am sure he'll get reamed about it..

10. Bad day for the punter, I hope he's renting. Speaking of special teams, anyone one else notice that the Ghost is no longer booming his KOs into the endzone. Today ALL his KOs barely got to the 10. What's up with that?

This happens every year. The easiest way to explain it is this: the colder it gets, the more the football acts like a brick.

Last edited:
Theres not eleven receivers Id take over Moss, I still think hes in the top 5-7 range.

Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, definitely. No one else is obvious, even now. No one else is obviously better ove the course of a season.

Ken, re: #8, I have three letters: M-C-L.

The guy is a warior and came back after 4 weeks. He's the next Andre Tippet.

I'm really concerned about the offense as well. I understand Brady could be playing hurt and all but, why do we not use the TEs? Does he not see them or what? Every play, or like 90% of our offense every single flippin' game is Moss-Welker non stop with a hint of Watson or Aiken. Where are the screens, short passes, etc ? If the bomb isn't there and the lanes aren't open for the RBs, this offense goes nowhere.

Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, definitely. No one else is obvious, even now. No one else is obviously better ove the course of a season.

Are you kidding, the best receiver in the league right now, is Desean Jackson. He is crazy good. At this point, I would also take Reggie Wayne over moss.

Meriweather didn't try and tackle. He went for the big hit.. Which is bad.. And I am sure he'll get reamed about it..

Started off the season seriously improved. Has regressed. Coaches need to address.

Ken, re: #8, I have three letters: M-C-L.

The guy is a warior and came back after 4 weeks. He's the next Andre Tippet.

Bingo.

They rushed Mayo back way too soon. I don't expect him to regain top form until next year, after he's had adequate rest.

Are you kidding, the best receiver in the league right now, is Desean Jackson. He is crazy good. At this point, I would also take Reggie Wayne over moss.

I've been a DeSean Jackson fan for a long time, and I agree he is crazy good, but I think it's debatable. I think of him as more of an all-purpose weapon than a WR, which may be why I left him out (didn't really even think of him, to be honest). In the long term I'd agree with you.

Wayne over Moss is very arguable right now, and I debated listing him as well, but I'd still take Randy. And I certainly didn't think it was clear cut. Whereas I think that Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson have established themselves as the elite #1 WRs right now in the league.

I understand the congratulations to the DC. However, I suspect that the congrats is somewhat misplaced. I did not see the samse defense today as in past weeks. I saw a defense from 2003 and 2004, with the front seven all standing up until the last second and with lots of variation and disguise of who was going to attack the quarterback. We may never get confirmation, but I suspect that Belichick had more to do with this game plan than those in previous weeks.

If the fact is that Pees has seen the light, then congrats to Pees.

I love the way he's running now. Very decisive and he is pushing people backwards. This is what I wanted to see out of him and now he seems like he's making smaller defenders think twice a bit before they tackle him because they know it's gonna hurt!

I loved the pressure on the QB today. I'm sure that in large part it had to do with the Bills OL being pretty poor considering all of their injuries, but the aggressive scheme especially on third and long was awesome. Let's see if they can keep that type of pass rush on a QB who they actually feel is a deep threat though.

I have to agree with you here to an extent. I've seen lots of times when he's had trouble shedding blockers.

Oh, on Ghost's kickoffs: Do any of you think it has something to do with the new wedge rules? Unless he's hurt, I was wondering if the shorter kickoffs allowed our special teams guys to cover a kickoff the returner without him being at full speed yet? NOt sure about this but has anyone noticed any difference in the trajectory of the kickoffs and whether or not they are a touch higher then before?

Last edited:
Oh, on Ghost's kickoffs: Do any of you think it has something to do with the new wedge rules? Unless he's hurt, I was wondering if the shorter kickoffs allowed our special teams guys to cover a kickoff the returner without him being at full speed yet? NOt sure about this but has anyone noticed any difference in the trajectory of the kickoffs and whether or not they are a touch higher then before?

A simple calculation involving the kicking distance, hangtime, and gravitational effect (9.8 meters/sec^2) reveals that this is indeed the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes