PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they make the DBs play off? Ever since Romeo left this has become to way to do it, it simply never has nor ever will work. I hate it, it hasn't worked so why are we using it? I agree as well. The pass rushing has little to do with the players, more with the calls. He's just not calling any kind of blitzes, and he's not doing it enough. I'm praying to god now that "Patriot time" has come (You know how Bill preaches about football AFTER Thanksgiving) I really hope they adjust the defense.

I believe, in my homer opinion, we're a tweaked coaching philosophy away from a title.

just remember that Derek Anderson posted some awesome numbers, got the big contract, and currently he's a back up on a bad team.
And the Browns were offered a #1 and #3 for him this past offseason despite a passer rating well below what Cassel's is now and a bad second half of last season. Cassel looks way better than Anderson did.

Look at Anderson last year :

ESPN - Derek Anderson Stats, News, Photos - Cleveland Browns

First 7 games, 4 passer ratings over 100.
Last 9 games, 1 passer rating over 83.4

Then look at Cassel :

ESPN - Matt Cassel Stats, News, Photos - New England Patriots

In his 11 games, 4 passer ratings over 100 and two of them have been in the last two games - most importantly, these last two games are the ones when he's faced the team the second time, when the defense could prepare for him and when he's seen them before. Instead of the defense catching up to him, he has played his best the second time around.

Please don't forget that this league has a way of catching up to individual players VERY QUICKLY.
As I just posted, that statement is true but until further evidence is in can't be used against Cassel as his two best games were when facing a team the second time - the only two games he's faced a team twice.

Why do they make the DBs play off? Ever since Romeo left this has become to way to do it, it simply never has nor ever will work. I hate it, it hasn't worked so why are we using it? I agree as well. The pass rushing has little to do with the players, more with the calls. He's just not calling any kind of blitzes, and he's not doing it enough. I'm praying to god now that "Patriot time" has come (You know how Bill preaches about football AFTER Thanksgiving) I really hope they adjust the defense.

I believe, in my homer opinion, we're a tweaked coaching philosophy away from a title.

They changed the rules/made a point of emphasis after the 2004 season. It's no longer possible to play real bump and run coverage in the NFL. Receivers are allowed to push off without getting called for offensive pass interference as long as it's not too ridiculously blatant. Offenses are allowed to run pick plays that completely wipe out defenders and leave receivers wide open. These changes make playing off the receiver a better option than it used to be. From 2005-2007, the Patriots have made the playoffs each year, made the AFCCG twice and made the Super Bowl once, so it's not as if the current style hasn't been working.

Listen I'd love to see up get a #1 pick+ for him, but given that teams will ALL know the situation, I can't think of a way a team will give up a critical #1 pick, when they can simply wait and join the bidding when we have to EVENTUALLY let him go.

Ken, not you - say it ain't so. This is not complicated and it seems like people make this argument every time - Bledsoe, Deion, etc... I'll try to be very clear: ALL YOU NEED IS MORE THAN ONE TEAM. If you have more than one team, which in this day and age of awful QB play is a given, you create a market wherein someone will give up a Day One pick or two.

If you're a team that really wants an established(-ish) QB, instead of taking a chance on an unproven college prospect, why on EARTH would you chance NOT landing one by thinking, "I'll wait for the Pats to release him and then hope I'M the one who gets him!" Why would you do that? Why would anyone?

Can we please, PLEASE not have this aspect of the argument ever again. It's pretty obvious, and I have to say I'm surprised at those of you whose opinions I value who don't seem to get something that's pretty fundamental.

Last edited:
you dont pass the sniff test , hes spot on, your living in a fantasy land, if you rationally look at the facts and the rules, they cannot franchise him, and you will be proven wrong in march ill gauratee you

"they cannot franchise him."

WHY?

I really hope your right Bob. There will certainly be a huge market for him....IF he continues to put up successful numbers. Right now he looks like Brady with speed, but before everyone goes nuts, just remember that Derek Anderson posted some awesome numbers, got the big contract, and currently he's a back up on a bad team.

Please don't forget that this league has a way of catching up to individual players VERY QUICKLY. In that vein, just look at the QB that was being touted as being better than Brady in Denver. You know...the team that just lost BIG to that Oakland powerhouse.
Hi, Ken.

I'm not sure what level Cassel will perform at next week or next year but I'm pretty darn sure that, with the play of Cassel up until now (and hopefully from here on out), neither the league nor the players union are going to have a leg to stand on should they question the Pats in the event that they tag Cassel.

I'm mean what are they going to say? You guys don't know how to value late round QB's.

Please don't forget that this league has a way of catching up to individual players VERY QUICKLY. In that vein, just look at the QB that was being touted as being better than Brady in Denver. You know...the team that just lost BIG to that Oakland powerhouse.

Jay Cutler? There are twenty+ teams in the NFL that would cut off their right nut to have Jay Cutler as their QB.

Just a terrible example. Come on, Ken - you're better than that! ;)

He's wrong. Plain and simple. Seriously, just ignore him.
please do us a favor go back to england, ohio, or where ever your from and just stop posting and get alife, posting at the rate you do, means no life, means shallow person

please do us a favor go back to england, ohio, or where ever your from and just stop posting and get alife, posting at the rate you do, means no life, means shallow person
You do your homework on prior instances of Franchising with no intent to work on a long term deal and our salary cap information. When you know the correct data you will see that you are wrong.

You do your homework on prior instances of Franchising with no intent to work on a long term deal and our salary cap information. When you know the correct data you will see that you are wrong.

It happened more than once last season.

It happened more than once last season.
Yep. Some people are WAY over thinking the mechanics of this. Teams can do it, they do it, it works. Leave the mechanics of it up to Pioli, this crap is elementary to him.

:confused:

The most significant UFA we have (other than Cassel) is James Sanders. Wilfork, et al, still have a year to go - if we're lucky enough to get them to sign early it doesn't have to be in February, it can wait until late March after Cassel is traded and his Franchise number off the books and available again.

Some of you are WAY overthinking this. It's a temporary $14M hit, it frees up and it's free, substantial draft picks. All I can say it THANK GOD you guys aren't running this front office.

James i cannot Tackle Sanders is not a significant FA!

And the Browns were offered a #1 and #3 for him this past offseason despite a passer rating well below what Cassel's is now and a bad second half of last season. Cassel looks way better than Anderson did.

Look at Anderson last year :

ESPN - Derek Anderson Stats, News, Photos - Cleveland Browns

First 7 games, 4 passer ratings over 100.
Last 9 games, 1 passer rating over 83.4

Then look at Cassel :

ESPN - Matt Cassel Stats, News, Photos - New England Patriots

In his 11 games, 4 passer ratings over 100 and two of them have been in the last two games - most importantly, these last two games are the ones when he's faced the team the second time, when the defense could prepare for him and when he's seen them before. Instead of the defense catching up to him, he has played his best the second time around.

Sounds like a player on the up to me...i wonder what the Franchise Doubters will think if he has a Good Game against the Number 1 Defense next week.:rolleyes:

James i cannot Tackle Sanders is not a significant FA!
Agreed but he's the the most significant unless you value Mike Wright more . . . that was basically my point, our most significant UFA other than Cassel is the underwhelming Sanders.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents...

I'm totally on the bandwagon of franchising Cassel and then trading him for some picks.

I think the important considerations we should realize in franchising Cassel allow us to control two important aspects of our own football team:

1) Which team he plays for - or which teams we don't want him to play with,
and
2) Insurance if Tom Brady doesn’t make it back to at least 80% of pre-injury form.

I am certain, on my own account, that inter-division rivals will surely take a tab on Matt if we don't franchise him.

The Jets, and possibly the Dolphins, look like potential candidates. With Favre looking to call it a career (how many time have we heard that before???), I would think the Jets would be really interested in acquiring his services - especially with Mangini at the helm. To reiterate what has been preached by many here, we can control which team Cassel plays for. If it’s a matter of just franchising him so that the Jets aren't players in the "Cassel Sweepstakes", then I am all for it!!!

Wouldn't it be bittersweet to not only prohibit the Jets from getting Cassel, but to get some quality compensation in return for our budding QB?

Just a final word...

This whole scenario can play out one of two ways. Using Drew Brees as an example, here is how it may play out:
Scenario 1: After the 2004 season, which saw Brees throw for 3,159 yards, 27TDs, 7ints, and post a 104.8 Qb rating (also won the CBPA), the Chargers quickly franchised him, even with Rivers waiting in the wings.
Reasoning behind the franchising: ""Franchising him is a no-brainer because if we didn't, we wouldn't get any compensation and he wouldn't be here..."
link to reference: Chargers Put Franchise Tag on QB Brees | Article from AP Online | HighBeam Research

Scenario 2: After the 2005 season, which saw Brees slightly decline in many QB categories, the Chargers low-balled Brees due to concerns over a shoulder injury. They let him walk in FA.

Of thw two scenarios, Scenario 1 seems more ideal because our intensions are to keep Brady at the helm, and possibly control where Cassel ends up and get some compensation in return. HOWEVER, the point I want to make here is if Cassel totally bombs the rest of the season (which is possible), franchising him at seasons end may not be so "sexy". Obviously he will be given a few "get out of jail cards" along the way, but if he is completely sub par, this shouldn't even be a conversation worth having. Lets just hope that the latter doesn't become a reality!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes