PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding #4:

jenkins has been huge.......the play of pace has tailed off in the last month.........he's a solid player, but the jets front 7 is slow as a group which is why guys like edwards and thigpen had career days against the jets........like I said in a separate thread, if the pats move the pocket around and go with quick counts and some no-huddle, they will move the ball at will on the jets......

and throw the kitchen sink at favre...........if you hit him a couple of times, he plays lousy.........

How have we owned Favre since the '96 Superbowl?

Pats are 3-3 vs Brett Favre since 1994

1994 - 17-16 win over Packers
1996 - 35-21 loss in SB 31
1997 - 28-10 loss to Packers
2002 - 28-10 loss to Packers
2006 - 35-0 win over Packers
2008 - 19-10 win over Jets

Owned since 2006 maybe....but not the previous 10 years.

....Just few brief pregame thoughts.

1. When you think of draft pick you usually think about how successful the team is with their first day picks, but I find it quite telling that the Pats will we STARTING 4 guys who were UDFAs. 3 of their own, in BJGE, Pierre Woods, and Steven Neal, while adding Wes Welker, who was an UDFA of the Dolphins. I don't think you'll find another team, especially a team with a winning record STARTING 4 fomer UDFA's

2. Has the by play between the 2 HC's this week make you feel ever STRONGER that the Pats will have a DISTINCT advantage in coaching?

3. The adding of Calvin Pace and Kris Jenkins has VASTLY improved the Jets defense. That are among the leaders in defense against the run AND sacks. That's a great combination. Jenkins has been a game changer as far as what little I've seen and heard, while Pace is their version of AThomas. Rather expensive, but seemingly worth it.

4. I need to see Randy Moss ELEVATE his game this Thursday. Revis is one of the best CBs in the conference and I think just making the catches that he SHOULD make isn't going to be enough. Moss hasn't make one of those stand up and shake your head highlight catches he so routinely made last year. In fact, when I think about it, he's been pretty ordinary. Not bad, just not elite. Randy HAS TO make some of those real TOUGH catches if the Pats want to win this week

5. Like the Colts game I'm not real confident. As I mentioned the Jets front seven has shut down most of the running attacks they've faced and they they IIRC lead the league in sacks, so It doesn't bode well for our injury depleted offense.

6. OTOH, since the 96 superbowl, the Pats have pretty much OWNED Bret Farve. Hopefully he can't help himself and gilves us the 2 turnovers we will need to win this game.

7. I really hope that the fans at the game REALLY become part of it. Having a loud homefield advantage will be critical in constricting the Jets offense. I just hope that a little rain doesn't EMPTY the red seats.

8. If the Pats do lose, we will all go on to the next game fully expecting our team to make the Playoffs. HOWEVER if the Jets lose, I think their fans will have to go on suicide watch. :D

PFK -
Enjoyable as always.
I'd like to hit upon a few things.

1) The Jets defense looks so good against the run because they've not faced anyone of consequence other than the tandem of Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown and that was in week 1. So, I'm not terribly impressed with them

2) Sacks are over-rated. BB has said it numerous times. The Jets are tied with 4 others teams at 9 interceptions on the year. Where they are impressive is that they have forced 14 fumbles.

The Jets, however, are missing their best ILB in David Harris. That will be a big blow to them.

======================================================
I hesitate to mention this, but here goes.

The Pats are 7th in the league in total rushing yards, not the 7th ranked rushing team.

The Ravens are listed at #3 on NFL.com with 1352 yards, but they only have a avg. of 3.9 yards per rush, but they have rushed more times 343 then any other team

The Pats have 290 rush attempts for 1197 yards and an avg. of 4.1 yards per rush.

This tells me the Pats are better at running the ball then the #3 Ravens.

Giants are best with an avg 5.0 per carry and 3 other teams avg 4.6 for the 2nd highest yards per carry.

Care to guess what the Jets per carry avg. is

we should just have cassel run three times per game for 30 yards. that would be a nice 10 yard average and we'd be #1;)

....Just few brief pregame thoughts.

1. ...but I find it quite telling that the Pats will we STARTING 4 guys who were UDFAs. 3 of their own, in BJGE, Pierre Woods, and Steven Neal, while adding Wes Welker, who was an UDFA of the Dolphins. Not to mention starting that 7th round pick at QB after he took over for that high priced 6th rounder...slight correction - Welker was a UDFA for the Chargers, waived, then signed by Miami who didn't know what to do with him and traded him for a 2nd and 7th to those foolish Patriots while snickering up their sleeves. I love it when a plan comes together.

4. I need to see Randy Moss ELEVATE his game this Thursday. I'll settle for those nice 8-15 yard plays he's been making to help eat the clock up.

5. Like the Colts game I'm not real confident. Hug your teddy bear, rub your rabbit's foot, kiss your 4-leaf clover, and wear your game-day-never-been-washed under shorts to bed and tomorrow will turn out just fine.

6. ...the Pats have pretty much OWNED Bret Farve. Recent years have been good, not so much before that.
homer-simpson.jpg

All dem Jester's Green belong to we! Go Pats!!!!

1. When you think of draft pick you usually think about how successful the team is with their first day picks, but I find it quite telling that the Pats will we STARTING 4 guys who were UDFAs. 3 of their own, in BJGE, Pierre Woods, and Steven Neal, while adding Wes Welker, who was an UDFA of the Dolphins. I don't think you'll find another team, especially a team with a winning record STARTING 4 fomer UDFA's

FWIW - The Steelers have 5 starting UDFAs.
James Harrison
Ryan Clark
Carey Davis
Willie Parker
Darnell Stapleton

Since Jeff Saturday was an UDFA, I would think that the Colts also start 4 UDFAs.

When I read this
Curtain call in Pittsburgh | Rick Gosselin Columns | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

I thought of this post

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey