PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The Yawn from TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect a team as bad as the Rats, who are likely to have NO cut players claimed, to claim Dennard; he is a "name" and shiny in a way that a true Rat cannot resist dragging back to their nest.
Kyle Arrington will also be an unrestricted free agent next season. All it takes is one lunatic general manager to ruin the cornerback market in March 2013.

On the cut down day, the release Will Allen, with the understanding (wink wink) that they will re-sign him after the first week.
The Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts are desperate for cornerbacks.

There's no chance for Dennard being cut....at least in this round. Given his lack of playing time and the fact that Coles has looked better than expected, I'd like to find a way to get him to the practices squad. Its not like he's been the most enticing prospect to begin with, with the off field stuff and his inability to get on the field. That helps.

Also I wonder if there are some finagles they can run. Here's one. On the cut down day, the release Will Allen, with the understanding (wink wink) that they will re-sign him after the first week. They keep Dennard on the roster for that first week when most teams are getting the bottom of the roster together.

Then after the first week they release Dennard and re-sign Allen. Though I don't think its real likely that the Pats would lose him in the first place, this way would make it even less likely. This way the Pats get a solid veteran depth at BOTH S and CB, plus the kid stays with the team and gets a red shirt year on the PS at full rookie pay. Because Allen plays both S and CB the Pats can keep only 9 DB's opening up a roster spot elsewhere Its a win both ways.

BTW- That position versatility plus his experience in an otherwise very young secondary ,is one of the reason's Will Allen is going to be one of the more surprising guys to make this team

There will be one team claiming Dennard if he is cut. Bills, Jets, Jags and Fins are on top of my list. Heck, when we waived scrubs like Yettman and the other TE and Taylor Price, most of those teams placed claims on them.

Either they carry Dennard or they carry him till Sept 1 and then place him on IR w.o being restricted to waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes