PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the opening edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OL seems to be shaking out a bit with Solder and Vollmer (when he comes back) at OT and Thuney and Mason at G with Andrews at C. Backup T remains an issue as Cannon just doesn't play well and Fleming isn't there yet either..
I don't mean to nitpick on an otherwise good post, but why is it that when players get a "reputation" they never shake it regardless of what they do.

By ALL accounts Marcus Cannon played very well last night, yet despite that fact, you continue to go with the reputation. Why not give a guy his due, when he plays well. God knows we all will be there to trash him the moment he makes a bad play, cause you know we have a reputation to uphold.

I don't mean to nitpick on an otherwise good post, but why is it that when players get a "reputation" they never shake it regardless of what they do.

By ALL accounts Marcus Cannon played very well last night, yet despite that fact, you continue to go with the reputation. Why not give a guy his due, when he plays well. God knows we all will be there to trash him the moment he makes a bad play, cause you know we have a reputation to uphold.

Cannon did play well last night, I agree with that assessment. I just have no faith that he can sustain a competent level of play as a starter, week in and week out, if Vollmer or Solder go down. Which becomes a pretty significant concern when you take Vollmer's extensive injury history into account. I like Vollmer and Solder, but I think they're a pair of tackles that, if they're your starters, you need a #3 who you're comfortable with the prospect of him starting 6+ games per year.

Yeah, Tommy's cut had me flashing to the 'real' story-

Unhappy with TB12 because he didn't get her ginseng and mint leaf bath water to exactly 103.7F, momma G snapped. Chasing the GOAT into the kitchen she flails a bit of $5000 Swedish carbon kitchen steel - just like Ms. Fryar! That's all I could think of - Tommy raked by the angry Argentine in a fit of multi-million dollar domestic pique!

Then Tom reportedly ran his car into a tree, but you didn't hear that here.

[Brazilian, by the way]

1. My biggest concern for this team at the start of TC was the OL. The group of Solder, Tuney, Andrews, Kline and Cannon gave JG all the protection he needed. Except for the PAP that got Jimmy sacked, they were superb. I'd be interested in looking at that play action pass again to see if someone got beat or if there was a mental error.

2. JG looked a LOT more comfortable behind the better protection and it really showed in his results. What I liked the most was that he wasn't locked into his first read. More times than not he was throwing to his 2nd and 3rd reads. When he did throw it was decisive and except for that first throw, accurate. IIRC except for that one play on the Bears' GL he made good decisions all night..

It does my heart good to think that the team that makes McDaniels their HC will be extorted for multiple picks to send Jimmy to join Josh. The opportunity that Goodell forced on the Pats will end up making them even better. How great it will be to see Roger give Brady a superbowl trophy in Feburary and then have the Pats get a top 10 pick in April. It will be the ultimate FU.
Jimmy snaps, link from reddit

Kline should not be starter.
Worried about C situation. Andrews and run game. Stork is probably concussion away...
Not worried about Cannon under Scar.
Solder better.
Thuney. Jackpot. Hope that he will sustain and improve this lvl of play
Develin is so underratted.
Jimmy will grow with every snap.
Aj Derby like.
Bennet. Football Gods i pray to You that Gronk and Marty play whole season without injury.
Bolden. One month ago i read that Gaffney took some reps at ST and after i didnt find anything about his ST value. With so many only ST players, and the fact that ST last year wasnt so good, Philly game last year was disaster they dont need Bolden. better to have Gaffney and Blount.
Donald Brown. Thought that he would be higher on chart than White. Guess i was wrong.

The real test and more valuable evaluation will be Panthers first half game.

Last edited:
Cannon did play well last night, I agree with that assessment. I just have no faith that he can sustain a competent level of play as a starter, week in and week out, if Vollmer or Solder go down. Which becomes a pretty significant concern when you take Vollmer's extensive injury history into account. I like Vollmer and Solder, but I think they're a pair of tackles that, if they're your starters, you need a #3 who you're comfortable with the prospect of him starting 6+ games per year.

Dante looks pretty comfortable with Cannon.

Of course the key is that JG&TB are. Especially 'cause it looks Cannon might be a starter week 1.
If I remember well he got very good reviews @Dallas when he came in for Solder at LT. He was injured the very next game vs Colts, came back after about a month and played through injury on different positions like all the battered remains of OL. Remember the picture?

British_wounded_Bernafay_Wood_19_July_1916.jpg

For the moment I am more worried about the inconsistency at C & RG. I hope Mason is OK and Dante can proceed glueing the rest of OL. That will help Cannon's consistency more than anything else.

Last edited:

A fair point to be sure. I'm basing that assessment on his play over the years as he seems to get beat quite a bit not on his reputation. I just don't feel confident when he's in there. Then again I don't feel confident with Fleming in there either, and I haven't concentrated on Waddle enough to make a judgement on him.

One month ago i read that Gaffney took some reps at ST and after i didnt find anything about his ST value. With so many only ST players, and the fact that ST last year wasnt so good, Philly game last year was disaster they dont need Bolden. better to have Gaffney and Blount.

I think I saw Gaffney on ST in both PS games. Its hard to tell though since King wears #36 as well.

The Offensive line looked much stronger, which in turn let Jimmy have more time to go though his reads. If he think he is getting pancaked, he will be dancing like Fred Astaire
Fred WAS a very good dancer..... ;)

Anyone wanna take a stab at who gets WR5? Dobson, Washington, Harper, Lucien are all pretty meh and haven't done a whole lot during preseason, and Martin hasn't played at all. Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell are locks at this point.

It's too bad because I was kind of hyped by training. Reports saying that Dobson, Harper and Lucien were great during camp and now...meh.
I'm so over Dobson. His inconsistency drives me crazy.

Jimmy snaps, link from reddit

Kline should not be starter.
Worried about C situation. Andrews and run game. Stork is probably concussion away...
Not worried about Cannon under Scar.
Solder better.
Thuney. Jackpot. Hope that he will sustain and improve this lvl of play
Develin is so underratted.
Jimmy will grow with every snap.
Aj Derby like.
Bennet. Football Gods i pray to You that Gronk and Marty play whole season without injury.
Bolden. One month ago i read that Gaffney took some reps at ST and after i didnt find anything about his ST value. With so many only ST players, and the fact that ST last year wasnt so good, Philly game last year was disaster they dont need Bolden. better to have Gaffney and Blount.
Donald Brown. Thought that he would be higher on chart than White. Guess i was wrong.

The real test and more valuable evaluation will be Panthers first half game.

Donald Brown has been injured and was running with the 1s before. White looks great catching the ball though.

Yeah, Tommy's cut had me flashing to the 'real' story-

Unhappy with TB12 because he didn't get her ginseng and mint leaf bath water to exactly 103.7F, momma G snapped. Chasing the GOAT into the kitchen she flails a bit of $5000 Swedish carbon kitchen steel - just like Ms. Fryar! That's all I could think of - Tommy raked by the angry Argentine in a fit of multi-million dollar domestic pique!

Then the bummer - I found out that Jimmy G stabbed him because last week TB12 had scolded Jimmy for not making the team his own. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
She's Brazilian

While I am encouraged by what I saw, please remember that the Bears stink. The true test is next week on the road against a great defensive front.

She's Brazilian

Yeah, yeah, I know, I had a moment of poetic injustice looking for some alliteration. Forgive me G!! I loved your Olympic strut - really I did!!

Now, why did you pay JG10 to stab Tommy boy?:D

While I am encouraged by what I saw, please remember that the Bears stink. The true test is next week on the road against a great defensive front.

It's the preseason. Everyone stinks and teams don't play their best players. We won't know what this team is capable of until just before midnight on September 11th.

Anyone wanna take a stab at who gets WR5? Dobson, Washington, Harper, Lucien are all pretty meh and haven't done a whole lot during preseason, and Martin hasn't played at all. Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell are locks at this point.

It's too bad because I was kind of hyped by training. Reports saying that Dobson, Harper and Lucien were great during camp and now...meh.

Well, Amendola hasn't started practicing yet.. Until he does, he looks bound for the Resever/PUP list to start the season.

Another player you over-looked is Keyshawn Martin. The Pats gave him a decent extension last year. Granted, he's been injured and he's not eligible for the PUP, but he could also benefit from Amendola starting the year on the PUP. He also brings the added benefit that he was the Pats best kick returner last year..

The one guy who you didn't mention who seems to have garnered a ton of attention during camp is DeAndre Carter. Carter has speed and quickness to spare and seems to get open a lot.

Blount needs to go and soon. I've never really been impressed with the guy and was hoping we'd acquire somebody more reliable.

Did you even watch the game? Blount was excellent.. Next week will be the true test, but Blount has been consistently good when healthy. Not sure where you get that he isn't reliable..

Can't find the post where someone was concerned about our shorter CBs (maybe another thread) but..

Keenan Lewis was released by the Saints. He's a 6'1, tough, physical corner but has had injury issues.

I'd sign him and use him situationally, especially against taller WRs if some of the shorter ones struggle mid-game.

Lewis has a degenerative hip issue.. It's plagued him for awhile. It's the reason the Saints chose to move on. Because that sort of injury can flare up and put you in a bind at any time..

Lewis has a degenerative hip issue.. It's plagued him for awhile. It's the reason the Saints chose to move on. Because that sort of injury can flare up and put you in a bind at any time..

Yeah, it is definitely not worth cutting one of the young corners just to have Lewis hanging around for situational football. One of the youngsters will probably develop into a solid NFL corner and I'd prefer to enhance the odds through quantity, for this year. Lewis, by all accounts, is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes