PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - the I can't sleep edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at things in a vacuum detracts from your evaluation.

You are the one composing the list in a vacuum. You made a list without explaining why those particular RBs are on there or why you prefer them over BJGE.

BJGE is outrushing most of the guys on your list right now. Just sayin.

Do you think any of the players from group 1 would have less production than BJGE if they played here? If u say no then u believe BJGE is an avg starting back.

Do you think any of the players from group 1 would have less production than BJGE if they played here? If u say no then u believe BJGE is an avg starting back.

They would absolutely have less, because of the decreased number of snaps they would get in this pass-heavy offense.

Of that list you threw out there, only McCoy is tied with BJGE for the lowest number of run attempts per game, at 15.4

Despite that, he is only 12th in yards gained, and 2nd in TDs.

You are the one composing the list in a vacuum. You made a list without explaining why those particular RBs are on there or why you prefer them over BJGE.

The list was not made in a vacuum. I will not attempt to make a general statement as to why all the backs in group 1 are better than BJGE. Each back has their own reasons.

They would absolutely have less, because of the decreased number of snaps they would get in this pass-heavy offense.

Of that list you threw out there, only McCoy is tied with BJGE for the lowest number of run attempts per game, at 15.4

Despite that, he is only 12th in yards gained, and 2nd in TDs.

BJGE has worked his ***** off to get to where he is and I don't think Ridley is a better rb. However he compiles those stats because of the enormous amount of talent at QB (HOF), TE (2 young studs), OL (consistently pats OL is one of the top units in the game), WR (Welker = top tier wr) and HC (HOF).

If we had an elite rb we would be rewriting record books. With Benny we still might break a couple.

BJGE has worked his ***** off to get to where he is and I don't think Ridley is a better rb. However he compiles those stats because of the enormous amount of talent at QB (HOF), TE (2 young studs), OL (consistently pats OL is one of the top units in the game), WR (Welker = top tier wr) and HC (HOF).

If we had an elite rb we would be rewriting record books. With Benny we still might break a couple.

We had an elite RB who we drafted in the first round and he had every chance to rewrite the record books and he simply didn't.

Our OL is far from being the best in the game, we have an okay NT, an aging RG, and a rookie RT.

I am just salivating to think about what happens once Cannon gets in there, and we have a healthy Vollmer. You put in Solder as the 3rd TE, and we have a monster run-blocking unit.

Why can't people see that the Law Firm's success as a running back is a compliment of his talent, hard work and offensive line performance. It's not that difficult to see.

It will be interesting to see how the defense performs against a rested Cowboys offense and new choke artist, gunslinger Romo. They played alright Sunday, but I'm not sure how much credit should be given to Dirty and his retirement home receivers.

Now here's the conflicting part. If it wasn't for that dropped pass by Hernandez, the Pats would have put up 37 points on a defense that drives Brady nuts. Now how f**ked up is THAT! ;)

Actually if Cro gets called for trying to tackle Welker in the endzone on the drive after Welkers punt return, we get first and goal at the 1. That drive should have been 7 instead of 3

41 points

I think ultimately the BJGE vs the rest of the league question is a simple one. Its a matter of effectiveness vs talent. Simply stated, there are many other RBs who are more talented (including Ridley), but few who are more effective when you look at their production on the field.

I know its not PC, but early in his career Moroney did some great things on the field until injuries started to pile up...after that....not so much. People forget that Moroney DID have his moments. He COULD have been the RB BB thought he was when he drafted him. It wasn't bad drafting. Ultimately Lawrence didn't have the extreme mental toughness it takes to recover from those injuries and be able to take the beating NFL RBs go through. That's something you can't foresee when you draft someone. I'll always believe that one of the reasons Ricky Williams took that year off was because he knew that Nick Saban was going to make him carry the ball 300 times again.

BTW- I can't help but think that If I had just written the words 'BJGE is an average RB', I could have had a 9 page thread, and saved myself 90 minutes of writing. ;)

Last edited:
I like Fred Jackson, but there is no way I take him over BJGE. Nor do I take Frank Gore or Michael Turner over BJGE.

I think I would take Jackson or Turner over BJGE, but not Gore.

I think I would take Jackson or Turner over BJGE, but not Gore.

That's the issue with you and the other posters saying you'd rather have such and such who is a superstar RB here (e.g., AP, the $100 million man). That's assuming they would be content playing in Brady's shadow, because there's no way they're going to be the star while Brady is the best weapon we have.

That is why I think BJGE is perfect for our system. He's not a superstar, not flashy and sexy. He's just durable, consistent, a grinding back, and someone who doesn't complain or make much noise.

Why can't people see that the Law Firm's success as a running back is a compliment of his talent, hard work and offensive line performance. It's not that difficult to see.

Because some people prefer flash to consistency and can't get past the idea that if a back isn't breaking 40 yarders every game that he isn't a quality back. Nevermind the fact that the backs who break 40 yarders have a bevy of carries where they are losing yards or only gaining a couple where Benny gains 5-7.

That's the remarkable thing about Benny, he doesn't lose yards and he turns 1 yard gains into 4 yards.

Complimentary RBs are where you find them. BJGE is a consistent, always falling forward, always a plus yardage RB. It reminds me of Antowain Smith who was discarded by Buffalo. All he did was get a few positive yards, all of the time, for the Patriots, and that was all Charlie Weiss needed or wanted.:snob:

We had an elite RB who we drafted in the first round and he had every chance to rewrite the record books and he simply didn't.

Our OL is far from being the best in the game, we have an okay NT, an aging RG, and a rookie RT.

I am just salivating to think about what happens once Cannon gets in there, and we have a healthy Vollmer. You put in Solder as the 3rd TE, and we have a monster run-blocking unit.

Unless told otherwise, I'm going to assume you typed "NT" where you meant "C". :)

I think ultimately the BJGE vs the rest of the league question is a simple one. Its a matter of effectiveness vs talent. Simply stated, there are many other RBs who are more talented (including Ridley), but few who are more effective when you look at their production on the field.

I know its not PC, but early in his career Moroney did some great things on the field until injuries started to pile up...after that....not so much. People forget that Moroney DID have his moments. He COULD have been the RB BB thought he was when he drafted him. It wasn't bad drafting. Ultimately Lawrence didn't have the extreme mental toughness it takes to recover from those injuries and be able to take the beating NFL RBs go through. That's something you can't foresee when you draft someone. I'll always believe that one of the reasons Ricky Williams took that year off was because he knew that Nick Saban was going to make him carry the ball 300 times again.

BTW- I can't help but think that If I had just written the words 'BJGE is an average RB', I could have had a 9 page thread, and saved myself 90 minutes of writing. ;)

That's why talent isn't everything. The bottom line is always going to be productivity. BJGE has 18 TDs in the last 21 games. I think that's productive, and I don't think you would disagree with that.

That truly is something to salivate about PP, but I think you are under rate the Waters effect. I had a lot of questions when he signed about how much he had in his tank, his off season conditioning, and if he still wanted to play he game. ALL of those questions have now been answered, and they are, a lot, great, and yes.

I'm looking forward as much as the next guy to see how Marcus Cannon turns out. That being said, I can only HOPE that Cannon can even approach the kind of career Waters has had.....and is continuing to have here in NE.

I take real pleasure in watching the Jets OL regress, knowing that in the future, the Pats OL is only going to get better. I've mentioned before that when you add Solder as the 2nd TE when Volmer gets back, that is an AWESOME run blocking OL, What will make it special is that BOTH Solder and Gronk have the foot quickness to stay with OLBs. I can't tell you how impressed with how good a run blocker Gronk is.

Add 2 wide outs and Hernandez in motion to either block or get out into a pattern, and it would present a real problem to DCs who would have to defend a very strong run formation, while having 4 receivers of that quality who could quickly get down field. It would take a new thread just to go over some of the possible permutations. one of the best would be that the D couldn't play man, because the run threat

And what's better is that the OL is ONLY going to get better next year. How good would it be to have an OL of Volmer, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, and Solder, and be able to have the likes of Light, Koppen, and Waters in reserve. And feel free to substitute any of the reserves for starters It would STILL be as strong.

Excuse me I need to get a tissue, I have to wipe my chin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back