PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the coming out of the abyss edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was too pissed last night to put together anything cogent or even worth reading. Between the officiating and the injuries, it was all I could do to take my insulin shot without jabbing the needle into my eye. BUT the sun did rise this morning despite the loss and it's time to man up and take a look at what happened and try to add something meaningful to the discussion.

1. It is certainly fair to say that the officials cost the Pats this game. IIRC the Pats didn't have an offensive drive in the fourth quarter that didn't have at least one 10 yard penalty, until the last one that tied the game.

What was so frustrating was that the officials did such a good job keeping their flags in their pockets for most of the game letting the ticky tack calls go by on both teams. Then almost on cue they sabotaged so many Pats drives late in the game throwing flags on the Pats that they let go previously, while at the same time ignoring calls those same calls on Denver.

I won't bother to go into detail as I am sure other have poured out their own frustrations already on the board ad nauseum. Leave to say, it was BAD, and I am as angry as the rest of you.

2. But it wasn't the only reason the Pats lost that game. Yes it was a factor, but had the Pats executed better they would have won the game anyway. Obviously Harper's fumble was a turning point. I was wondering during the game why KMartin wasn't back there. One of the comments back when we traded for him was that he had return skills.

Harper's fumble was unfortunate, but Julian Edelman had a season when he fumbled punts 4 times in a season (and IIRC, he got them all back). It happens, even to the best of them.

We also were a bit unlucky in that Denver coughed the ball up twice and we didn't get either of them. Had we recovered even one of them we win the game.

3. Brady was sacked 3 times, but overall I thought he had decent protection for most of the night. Obviously he had to hold the ball a lot longer without DA and Edelman, so at least 2 of those sacks were more of the coverage kind.

That being said, Kline didn't have one of his best nights. Most of his troubles came, IMHO, because he was slow getting off the ball. That could have been because of the crowd noise. Also, it is clear that OL isn't getting much of a push in the running game but more on that later.

4. I'd like a closer look at what was happening to our DE's on those sweep plays. Clearly Ninko was held on the first TD. I wonder what was happening on the rest. A lot of the Denver runs were successful because the LB's were over running the play, especially Freeney. But before we bury him as another Pats whipping boy, lets remember that he was in on 12 tackles and had a sack. He wasn't Hightower or Collins, but he WAS decent and seems to contribute more with every game.

5. The most disappointing aspect of this game for me was the fact we allowed 17 4th quarter points. Last season one of the keys to the Pats success was the fact that for the last 10 or 11 games (including the playoffs), the Pats D did NOT allow a single TD in the 4th quarter. I had thought that over the last 2 or 3 games the D was starting to show the same kind of results. Allowing 2 TDs (three if you count the OT) was, quite frankly, horrifying

6. The run game needs to be fixed. And it has nothing to do with the RB's. What has to change is the scheming for those runs. Right now we have the most predictable run game in the league. You know when and where we will run and what formations we will run from. It is incomprehensible to me that the most sophisticated and complex passing attack in the league, would have such an unimaginative running attack.

7. It's become evident to me that I might have right all along with James White. The fact is that since he's been thrust into the lineup as the 3rd down back, the Pats have conspicuously ignored him. Even in the game he had his 2 TD's, he was almost an after thought. Still unable to make people miss or not be knocked down by first contact on even a semi-regular basis.

8. On the Positive side -

a. Lost in the quagmire of the officiating, injuries and the loss, was what an amazing drive Brady put on to tie the game. Without most of his weapons, a crumbling OL, and on the road; he drove the Pats over 50 yards in about 6o seconds,. It was pure Brady......and later Gotskowsi.

b. The was Scott Chandler's most productive game of the season. I don't understand why people were riding him so badly in the game thread. I don't know why they get pissed when he doesn't get open running go routes on the outside. BTW- when he DID get open, Brady missed him. He came up big in that last drive.

c. The OL was better, and will continue to get better as the season goes on.....assumiing they stay healthy.

d. I didn't expect to win this game going in. However as the game progressed, I felt that even WITH all the injuries, we were the better team and will crush Denver in the playoffs should we meet.

e. Malcolm Brown is getting better with every game. But the best interior DLman this season has to be Alan Branch. The man is a beast and makes multiple impact plays every game. And to think he was on everyone's throw away list during this TC. It only goes to show you what WE know. :rolleyes:

f. It looks like BOTH Hightower and Gronk will be back before too long. I'd let them both take next week off, just to make sure. Collins should be back next week, and we can cobble enough offense to beat the hapless Eagles at home. Let's remember what the prize is, and it isn't wins in December,

9; On Denver's last drive to tie the game, I waited in fear for the inevitable 40 yd PI to be thrown. Instead I watched Brock Osweiler throw THREE perfect throws against very tight coverage to get that score. I don't know how Manning gets back his job, if that kid keeps playing as well as he has been. All three of those key completions aren't going to be made with Manning throwing the ball.

I think the kid is going to be a good QB in the NFL and another example of someone who BENEFITED from NOT having to be thrown into the mix right out of college. He sat for over 3 seasons learning how to be a pro.

10. I bet Josh is second guessing himself for his play calling at the end of the first half. It was very curious. I can understand it from a basic strategy stand point, HOWEVER when you have the GOAT bad weather QB in the league history, I don't understand taking the ball out of his hands in a situation he's done so well. Especially the way the D was playing at that time. What was even more surprising it continued well into the 3rd quarter of the game. Very strange.

OK, my weekly obligation is complete. Now I can just ignore the noise and patiently wait for next Sunday when I can wash this stink off me with another win.

Last edited:
Mcdaniels had a bad game. Can't deny that. I am hoping this loss just motivates this team going foward. We need to find a way and get a bye.

5. The most disappointing aspect of this game for me was the fact we allowed 17 4th quarter points. Last season one of the keys to the Pats success was the fact that for the last 10 or 11 games (including the playoffs), the Pats D did NOT allow a single TD in the 4th quarter. I had thought that over the last 2 or 3 games the D was starting to show the same kind of results. Allowing 2 TDs (three if you count the OT) was, quite frankly, horrifying

The defense was healthy last season. That's the difference.

Last night, we were missing our two best LBs (who are arguably our two best defensive players) and our CB3 who has been playing very well.

Plus, 7 of those were a result of that muffed punt.

Logan Ryan has really impressed me. If we can somehow get coleman healthy.

Whatever josh did, Iam sure it was conceived with and approved by BB. Especially in key situations Josh always checks with BB what to do. So we should put that on BB also and find out the explanation.

I was wondering during the game why KMartin wasn't back there. One of the comments back when we traded for him was that he had return skills.
I saw/heard a comment that they both were taking punts in warmups but Martin had muffed one or two.

My two takes
1) Can't believe NE took their foot off the throttle during the two minute drill in the 2nd quarter. The "we're paid to score points" no mercy offense devolved into "let's lick our wounds and regroup." Whyyyyyy?????
They had time and momentum.......and now they have regrets for squandering an opportunity.
2) The running game is awful....and White is useless. As a pass catcher, White collects the ball but doesn't make a move. I see no NFL in this guy
PS........the Pats need to buy whatever kind of cleats Anderson was running on. Incredible footing and the difference in the game. Quite a performance by their RB

My two takes
1) Can't believe NE took their foot off the throttle during the two minute drill in the 2nd quarter. The "we're paid to score points" no mercy offense devolved into "let's lick our wounds and regroup." Whyyyyyy?????
They had time and momentum.......and now they have regrets for squandering an opportunity.
2) The running game is awful....and White is useless. As a pass catcher, White collects the ball but doesn't make a move.
PS........the Pats need to buy whatever kind of cleats Anderson was running on. Incredible footing and the difference in the game. Quite a performance by their RB

They had 0 points with Hightower in the game. Him getting injured got everything going for their offense. Their offense is predicated on establishing the run, which opens up the play action pass and bootlegs. Lack of Hightower is what allowed them to establish the run, and that also allowed them to have some success in the passing game.

Getting HT and Collins back will help tremendously.

If I could become very sick for the next N weeks, and had to miss work, and it allowed bringing back everyone to 100% health, I'd do it.

What would your N be?

I guess mine would be between 1-2.

4. I'd like a closer look at what was happening to our DE's on those sweep plays. Clearly Ninko was held on the first TD. I wonder what was happening on the rest. A lot of the Denver runs were successful because the LB's were over running the play, especially Freeney. But before we bury him as another Pats whipping boy, lets remember that he was in on 12 tackles and had a sack. He wasn't Hightower or Collins, but he WAS decent and seems to contribute more with every game.

Freeney is a fine depth linebacker, who looks worse than he is because he's being compared to probably the second and third best linebackers in the entire league in Hightower and Collins.

e. Malcolm Brown is getting better with every game. But the best interior DLman this season has to be Alan Branch. The man is a beast and makes multiple impact plays every game. And to think he was on everyone's throw away list during this TC. It only goes to show you what WE know. :rolleyes:

The interior defensive line is very good. It's telling that the Broncos saw very little success going into the interior, and relied on taking advantage of slow linebackers to the outside. Branch, Siliga, Hicks, Brown, Easley... all five are starting-caliber players and form a very potent rotation.

they lost imho in a large part because they lost their focus on situational football. 2:31 left in the game, 1st down and they throw three passes...man I cant get past that...to me a huge coaching snafu...run three times (even a screen) and Denver either takes their timeout or doesn't but regardless you left Denver a long way to go and very little time.

they lost imho in a large part because they lost their focus on situational football. 2:31 left in the game, 1st down and they throw three passes...man I cant get past that...to me a huge coaching snafu...run three times (even a screen) and Denver either takes their timeout or doesn't but regardless you left Denver a long way to go and very little time.

They put the ball into the hands of their 2 best offensive players to try and ice the game.

They put the ball into the hands of their 2 best offensive players to try and ice the game.

Didnt work did it....BB should have known better the way that game was going.

Why New England lost the game. In no particular order:

1. Terrible, one-sided officiating. From the Yahoo article: "1) A running-into-the-kicker penalty at midfield that was ignored by the officials with 1:40 remaining in the third quarter, 2) The offensive pass interference call against Rob Gronkowski that negated a third-down conversion with 5:22 remaining in the fourth quarter, 3) Shaq Barrett launching his entire body at Tom Brady's head on the replay of third down, 4) A defensive holding call against Patrick Chung that turned Denver's third-and-15 into a first-and-goal with 1:09 left in regulation and 5) Aqib Talib's blatant hold of Brandon LaFell on the firs play from scrimmage in overtime." Time for the bucket to vomit in. I'd like to add the phantom holding penalty against Jackson on the 51-yard bomb to LaFell (I think it was to him) that would have netted NE another 3 points, and would have been enough to win the game in regulation. That's six calls - all pretty bad ones, and all going against New England late in the game.

2. Three fumbles. Two by Denver, one by New England. All three recovered by Denver. So. Frigging. Lucky. Combine these with the injuries and the refs' calls, and Denver got pretty much every break they could get.

3. Lack of a running game for New England. Just couldn't get anything going on the ground.

4. Injuries to Hightower and Gronk. Gronk less so because his happened so late. But Hightower's was huge, and had an enormous impact on the run defense.

5. The punt fumble. I know I mentioned fumbles already, but the Harper fumble was the turning point in the game, obviously. That doesn't happen, the Pats win this game going away. I like the kid and hope they give him another chance, but we have to be honest - it was a colossal error that turned the entire game around.

That's what it takes to beat New England. Injuries to key Pats' players, a bunch of lucky breaks, and a slew of key bad calls. Not saying it couldn't happen again, because it can, but man, it just goes to show that this Patriots' team is clearly the best in the NFL when healthy.

Great post as we have come to expect...

The Offensive Game plan was weak, too many three and outs.. aware of limitations, however if you cannot trust White find someone else on the street. When he is excluded, then they D can focus on whoever is left. The run game was terrible..

The long passes to Chandler, he did not even fight for the ball, try it once or twice.. but 6 times?? That was really "broke"...

Officiating was horrendous.. the 2nd OPI on Gronk was horrific, the hold on Jackson was idiotic as there was so much holding going on everywhere, pick on the rookie.. and the PI on Chung was the worse call of the year..

The Pats could have won, but being decimated by so many injuries in critical roster spots made them overall weak and not able to rebound.. think the injury to Hightower had a huge effect on not being able to stop the run toward the end of the game and OT...

I was surprised they played as well as they did..

The defense was healthy last season. That's the difference.

Last night, we were missing our two best LBs (who are arguably our two best defensive players) and our CB3 who has been playing very well.

Plus, 7 of those were a result of that muffed punt.
Onae of the positives that I failed to mention in my original post was the continued good play of Patrick Chung. HE's the guy who often gets the assignment to cover as the slot CB, and he'd doing remarkably well. THIS is the Patrick Chung we expected to see in 2012 when he flamed out and was no resigned. THIS is the Patrick Chung who looked like he was about to become a big time safety when he was our best DB in 2011 (BTW- it should be noted that in 2011 being the best DB on the Pats didn't take much. ;) )

There are a LOT of safeties in the league that are making a TON more money than Patrick Chung and not producing nearly as well. Just another good example of a guy who isn't a super star, but someone who is just "doing his job".

Because we were missing so many key players and starters, I actually wasn't expecting us to win and was pretty surprised we even tied it at end of regulation.

I can see how posters want to point to Harper's fumbling, or Jackson's holding, or whatever, as to why we "lost" the game- but our elite offense was just not there, and I don't mean just the players, but our ability to morph or adapt, or run pick plays. Neither Martin or Harper know the playbook to the depth that Edelman and Amendola does, and they read **** when it comes to coverages, and Denver knew this and left them in single "lazy" matchups and focused on rolling coverages to Gronk/Lafell.

But what really has surprised me is the venom on this board- I mean, for ****'s sake, this is pretty much the first time we've lost this year, and tomorrow is December first.

10-1 and defending NFL champions- I'll take that over the days of Sullivan, metal bleachers, and Macpherson running onto the field with a rolled up piece of paper in his hand, pretending he knew what he was doing.

They had 0 points with Hightower in the game. Him getting injured got everything going for their offense. Their offense is predicated on establishing the run, which opens up the play action pass and bootlegs. Lack of Hightower is what allowed them to establish the run, and that also allowed them to have some success in the passing game.

Getting HT and Collins back will help tremendously.

Hightower in the game: Broncos rush 43 yards on 15 carries.
Hightower out: Broncos rush 136 yards on 17 carries, 3 TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back