PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts ....redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the Butler bashing I did earlier in the year, I thought he was great against the Jets. I didn't think I'd ever be able to type that, but there it is :p

That was the most complete game we've played all season. The team is learning to be more consistent throughout the game. Now they must learn to play consistent from game to game, which is a big lesson to learn while going on the road to play division-leading Chicago. This team has proven to be fast learners though.

For all the Butler bashing I did earlier in the year, I thought he was great against the Jets. I didn't think I'd ever be able to type that, but there it is :p

He was definitely solid. I didn't follow him enough to declare him great. He got beat on a couple plays where he got bailed out by Sanchez. Still, he looks much better than Chung in coverage in the slot. I think it is a role he will grow into. I'm looking forward to seeing him out there with McCourty and Bodden next year.

Jabba Wreck's is a good but not great Coach. He did the most he could with inferior talent, and few draft picks, to rectify the talent deficiencies. He used a few aging veteran FA patches, and pure coaching, to transform the talent-deficient Jets, into a winning Team.

He reminds me of the Pete Carrol teams with the Pats, who was also covering up for little Defensive line talent.

Ryan introduced a whole series of blitzes, and gambled that good CBs would cover up for a mediocre Defensive line, and fairly good, but not Hall of Fame LBs. The Patriots under Carroll would do the same, and their collection of blitzes would confuse the opposition for a while, until all the blitzes were on film for opposition Coaches to analyze, and counter. Carroll's first half records were awesome, and then they faded as the blitzes were analyzed counters developed, and then became totally ineffective.

Rex's father Buddy, did the same. The 1985 Bears however, had great talent to start with, and a defensive scheme, Buddy's "46" overload blitz from the RE, that confused and dominated the league for about a season and a half. The Bears were awesome in 1985; and half of 1986; and then "the 46" was countered; and then turned into an ineffective blitz scheme, fairly easily beaten.

Suddenly the mighty awesome Bears were no more.

Wrecks had much less talent to work with the Jets roster, then his Daddy, and he started with a whole bundle of all-out blitzes and confusing plays, when he was the new Head Coach. It worked too. But like the Bears, and the Patriots Defense under Carroll, it would only work for a while. We are almost 2 years into his regime; and it is not surprising that the Jets awesome Defense is getting porous. The mystery is gone.

Opposition Coaches know the Ryan blitzes and the counters to them, now. The Jets are struggling beating even mediocre opponents.:p

Did you see the few times that Wrecks trotted out his Daddy's "46", Monday night? It sort of worked the first time. The next time he tried to use it, Brady audibled into a play that destroyed the "46" as routinely as could be. Belichick or rather Brady, used a double TE and a pulling G to spring his RB around the "46" blitzers for a big gain. The obvious "46" weakness is the lack of contain to the weak side, by the all-out "46" blitzers. The Pats exploited the Blitz for an easy TD.:cool:

It is pretty much is a metaphor for the end of the Jets D, under Wrecks... :snob:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back