PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - quick post game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how many series Hoyer plated (1), the fourth quarter performance of the offense and defense was appalling. What makes it more unfortunate, in my opinion, is the performance prior to the 4th quarter was good (save a slow start). There isn't any doubt in my mind one of the reasons for the 4th quarter performance was mental. In December I would have liked to have seen a mental sharpness even against a struggling opponent. I would have liked to seen, no matter the score and no matter the game seemingly beyond reach, individual and collective performances that were far more deliberate. That makes this win disappointing.....

Win's a win. It's the NFL.

Playing down to the competition is common, they had crazy personnel on D, and they were playing "not to get hurt" once they got up 31-24. Plus, something for BB to complain about during the meetings this week.

Would any of us be THAT psyched about the D had it finshed the game only allowing 3 pts to Indy ? Probably not.

9-3 with a real chance at 13-3... VG.

The last couple of series the Pats D was Coyote Ugly :eek:

Brady and Belichick clearly prefer both Ochocinco and Underwood over Price. Isn't it that simple. We have 4 WR's plus 2 special teamers who play on defense (Edelman is also a backup slot receiver). Underwood is #4.

We really have no reason to carry more than 6 healthy wide receivers, given the injuries at OL and DB.

Doesn't explain why they cut Price over Underwood. If Price was any good, they could have kept him AND Sergio Brown AND bring in McDonald. The real problem was that he was not adequately progressing, not the numbers game you are suggesting.

The last couple of series the Pats D was Coyote Ugly :eek:

Yeah. 4th quarter the D was a Zero! 21pts in 15mins, to a team that is 0-11, and a QB that has not started a game for a long time.

Again, 3rd and longs, and Pats-D layed an egg. Too many plays that gain chunks of yardage..

This D will not win playoff games.. It's pretty sad.

Also, the pass pressure was not there as well, which really exposed the DBs..

The Pats played like crap for the last 8-9 minutes no doubt, but I don't think that says a heck of a lot other than they took their foot off the gas in a lopsided game against a bad team and slept on them. I don't think this is indicative to anything other than that.

It shows a basic flaw......

No Killer Instinct.....

You can't turn it on and off like a faucet....

I can't see a deep run in playoffs with a D this soft.....unless Spikes,Chung and Fletch are healthy and take the D up a notch.....McCourty also has to start playing better.....

its dissapointing, but I question this...what if the pats put the gas to the pedal and we lose more players to injury?? sure we end up beating the Colts 31-3 but whats the difference??

its disappointing that they played horrible the 4th quarter and gave up the big lead...but it doesnt change my opinion either way about the defense. we built a big lead and began to play soft soft Defense.

you know it wont sit well with Belichick and hell push them hard...Mayo is already saying hes dissapointed in how they played

It shows a basic flaw......

No Killer Instinct.....

You can't turn it on and off like a faucet....

I can't see a deep run in playoffs with a D this soft.....unless Spikes,Chung and Fletch are healthy and take the D up a notch.....McCourty also has to start playing better.....

Can you see the Packers making a deep run in the playoffs? Where does their D rank overall?

The Pats played like crap for the last 8-9 minutes no doubt, but I don't think that says a heck of a lot other than they took their foot off the gas in a lopsided game against a bad team and slept on them. I don't think this is indicative to anything other than that.

It's indicative of the fact that they didn't play 60 minutes of football, and that's what you have to do to win in the playoffs.

Hoyer was only on the field for one of them. The other two were Brady..
And, technically, the last 3 possessions included the Kneel down to end the game, but we know that PFK meant the 3 prior to that.

The problem that I saw was, again, a lack of commitment to the run. At this point in the season, they should be running BJGE more than Ridley, Faulk or Woodhead. The O-line should be LOVING the smashmouth stuff that puts a huge focus on them. And they should be running plays that expose the opposing defenses weakness. As was mentioned, the Colts are near last in the league in run defense, yet the Pats weren't focusing there when they should have been. It's very disappointing.

I agree....I have been saying all year, it's tough to get a running game going when no back gets more than a handful of carries. I would love to see BJGE get 20 carries a game. Also...can we please have some RB screens?

It's indicative of the fact that they didn't play 60 minutes of football, and that's what you have to do to win in the playoffs.

I agree with that, but that doesn't mean they won't against a good team that isn't 27 points behind with 9 minutes left in the game.

Whatever happened to the sixty minutes mantra?

That's what I thought last year until the ugly useless jetsies beat the patsies.

And no, I'm not a jets fan.

I hope they don't lose to the jets is what I'm saying. But who WOULD you like them to lose to? It's sickening. Why watch if you know they'll faceplant at the end.

So to answer your own question: Go away and don't watch.

Since you're so certain certain, why are you asking the question?

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the sixty minutes mantra?

Yeah. I think Pats got too overconfident in 4th quarter. I mean, they put in Hoyer, who promptly goes 3-and-out. Gives ball back to Colts and they put up 7pts..

That's was not the mentality with they went 16-0 in 2007. They pressed-on-the-gas-till-00:00-remaining.

Yeah. I think Pats got too overconfident in 4th quarter. I mean, they put in Hoyer, who promptly goes 3-and-out. Gives ball back to Colts and they put up 7pts..

That's was not the mentality with they went 16-0 in 2007. They pressed-on-the-gas-till-00:00-remaining.

With all due respect, Hoyer was in for exactly 3 snaps, and on those three snaps, BOB called three straight friggin' run plays, so Hoyer is not at fault here. Not at all.

I agree with that, but that doesn't mean they won't against a good team that isn't 27 points behind with 9 minutes left in the game.

As we have seen so many times, it's not as simple as an "on-off" switch. The best bet, then, is to play 60 minutes every game, to develop that mental toughness and consistency.

As BB says, you only play once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back