PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - pregame break down - Pats/Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too simplistic an approach, psycho. As a DC, my immediate response would be to make you think I'm coming and trap you into a quick throw, while I'm in a tight 5 under zone, or man. With you throwing quickly I have a good chance for a pick or at worst a tackle for a little or no gain.

This is what teams have started to do with us. Think about all the critical 3rd and shorts we haven't made in the recent past....many even after a completed pass.

No while your idea has some merit, but not as dominant philosophy. The thing we have to be consistent in......is being inconsistent (and thus another oxymoron is created :D ). Many formations. Alternating between quick snaps to get them off guard before they can get set, and long snaps which give our O more time to see what they are attempting. I would n't mind seeing spurts in the game when we go to the no huddle and a fast pace. Which would keep them from getting set and making personnel adjustments.

In other words.....EVERYTHING....but all in moderation. :D

I absolutely agree that "inconsistency" is the order of the day, however I would err on the side of caution and use more empty sets/quick release than pro set/max protect, just enough to force the defense to be honest. I don't want to be exposing Brady to rookie blocking more than I have to. Obviously we are going to throw in a couple of runs to lure the defense into playing on its heels.

Also I think our first drive will be a no-huddle.

The Jets are great at disguising their blitzes, and they obviously spent time this offseason self-scouting their own tendencies. This could make it more difficult for a Week 2 matchup, as opposed to a game later in the season when the Patriots will have more game film to study. Because the Patriots have to expect to get beat on some blitzes this weekend, they've got to make sure they've got some safety blankets who can bail out Brady on quick dump-offs.

Typically, a good screen game is a great way to offset blitz-heavy teams, but Jets head coach Rex Ryan is famous for killing that theory. When the Jets blitz, they almost always send one guy into the backfield to level the running back, taking him and the screen option completely out of play.

Nice find, Jmt, good stuff. This points out some of problems I pointed out above. All teams have started to defend our spread offense better since 2007, and now its up to the brain trust to make the next adjustment. That is why I think they invested so heavily in the TE market this off season.

We now have 3 TEs who are very natural in catching the ball. Watson and Graham were both very good all round TEs, but neither could be call "natural pass catcher" even though they both made their share of outstanding catches.

If you think back on the last 3 years, as teams adjusted to what the Pats showed in 2007, we adjusted in several ways. NONE of which featured the TE;. Maybe now is the time we unveil this option. We shall see

If you think back on the last 3 years, as teams adjusted to what the Pats showed in 2007, we adjusted in several ways. NONE of which featured the TE;. Maybe now is the time we unveil this option. We shall see

The TE was never featured because they weren't good enough. You don't need to read between the lines to see that they are a huge part of NE's current offensive plans. It is spraypainted on the wall.

I think that the offense we run is an excellent fit against the Jet.
Our normal offense is desgined to try to get our receivers one on one, and the Jets defense offers that up.
The key is the scouting and preparation because what makes the Jet defense different is their ability to scheme an unblocked blitzer to blow up a play and drive.
If we overcome that we have receivers open all over the field one on one like the Ravens do. Brady would have ripped that D to shreds if he was in Flaccos spot last Monday.
I think that spreading them out is the most effective way to hedge the bet that scouting and preparation has been sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back