PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts....pre-game observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why you would think that, but that is a very interesting viewpoint. 6 months ago we the majority of the media were having debates as to whether Manning or Brady was a better QB...now he had an injury that kept him out for the entire season, and he's only worth a 3rd or 4th rounder???

I would be willing to wager a lot of money that there are a handful of teams out there that would be more than willing to risk one of their 1st round picks on having a sure-fire, proven HOF QB...

Let's remember than Manning just re-upped his deal right before news of his injury. The only possible way he returns to football is if his surgery etc has allowed him to compete again, I don't think there's too much grey area for teams to ponder regarding his health. If he returns and can throw the football, he is instantly one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL.

Considering that there are a ton of 1st round busts every year, I am quite certain that there would be some interested parties willing to make their team a hell of a lot better by giving up a 1st round pick for a guy like Peyton Manning. Not only does he instantly make you a competitor, but he also draws a ton of attention, instant respect for your team, and increased ticket sales. The position of QB is by far the most important one in the NFL. When teams consistantly take QB's such as Blaine Gabbart with a 1st round pick, I am sure that they'd certainly consider taking Peyton Manning :confused:

With a super quick release + being a pure pocket passer, I wouldn't see any reason to believe that he couldn't easily play another 3-4 years, possibly even 4-5 years at a pretty high level.
To justify my position I brought up the example of the only QB who is ever mentioned as being BETTER than Manning/Brady.....Joe Montana.....and HE didn't bring what amounts to a first round pick straight up. Not even close. And he wasn't coming off a season when he didn't play, nor was his medical condition even close to being as iffy as Manning's is, nor did he carry the cap hit that Manning does.

Now it may end up with the Colts releasing Manning to avoid the $28MM cap hit, and use that money to help build up the team around Oliver Luck, and re-sign all the FAs the Colts have, While I very much doubt that this scenario happens, it would make more sense than some team giving up a #1 pick to go along with all the baggage and questions that Manning brings to the table.

I'm just as confused as you are with YOUR reasoning. Sure 1st round picks bust, but still the league holds them in great value, and if Joe Montana didn't bring close to a first round pick straight up, why would Manning.

Oh well, Supe, maybe they end up keeping him....given how little they would get for him. they might have to. ;)

I'll be at the game tomorrow, so I won't be able to ban Simkin, RT 726 and Ric Flair from the gameday thread when they inevitably wet their pants before the last note of the national anthem.

I do not know about the national anthem, but I wet my pants when I saw that the Redskins are 2nd in the league in turnovers with 28 (19 Interceptions and 9 fumbles) and they've thrown for a grand total of 12 TDs in 12 games this season.

And they lost their best blocker and best receiver for the Pats game.

My undies are soaked.

If I read it correctly, the only course for the Colts is to cut him before the new NFL year and avoid a $26 million bonus or pay the bonus and be hamstrung because his dead cap number would be $38 million if they traded him since they can't trade him before then......If he retired, it would save the Colts a lot of agita. IMNSHO, Archie's better move would have been to say, "of course Peyton and Andrew Luck can coexist" knowing it would never happen from a financial (cap) point of view....

I heard a commentator say that they don't necessarily have to pay that money if he wants to stay the contract can be rewritten.

That's true of every fan base. Feel free to access sport radio stations across the country via the internet and note the comparisons.

Sorry, but if you're a fan who thinks it's noteworthy that a Brady led team that's coming off of a 14-2 season was able to beat the K.C. Palkos you're a fan who needs a lot of therapy.

As for the GDT, the Chicken Littles may go over the top, but so do a lot of those on the other side of the pessimism/optimism scale.

The win against the Palkos was not noteworthy but it was a good win nonetheless. The Palkos went on to give the Steelers fits and then beat the Chicago Hanies. I'll be rooting hard for the Palkos today against the green swamp turds from New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots