PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - one down, 2 to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
10. Some quick thoughts on the Ravens

A. On the plus side, I don't think the Raven's OL is not as good as Texans have, (3 all pros) and with the injuries to Ngata, and Suggs, they don't have anyone who can rush the Pats like Smith and Watt. So I predict our 4 man pass rush is going to improve a bit, while the chances of Brady getting hit a lot is going to decrease.

B. No question that the Ravens, unlike Houston, is going to test our secondary DEEP. Torry Smith and Aquan Bolden are just too good not to. Both are big tough guys who excel at winning the ball even when well covered. IMHO its the #1 threat and should be the #1 topic of discussion this week in the strategy threads.

C. I am a lot less fearful of Ray Rice's running. He's not near the threat that Foster was, and we handled THAT reasonable well. Where I DO fear Rice is in the passing game. Screens and dump offs make me worried.

D. We need Daniel Fells to go from a healthy scratch to a viable 2nd TE receiver in the course of a week. He doesn't have to be Gronk. He just has to catch about 3 balls and take someone out of coverage.

11. Just peeking ahead to the superbowl - In a playoffs riddled with rematches, it would seem that should we win next week, we should be getting another shot at the Niners. Of course they present a myriad of problems, which, hopefully we'll have 2 weeks to get into, but on the plus side, a Niner win next week, will likely mean that the Gronkless Pats, would likely be a Superbowl UNDERDOG. :eek: Rodney and I would very much enjoy that.status again :D

If the Patriots had had Gronk and Woody, I'd have made them strong favourites against the Ravens. We know that their defense is getting old and Ray Lewis looked old, slow and out of condition. Can we say "hurry-up-offense"? They look to me to be made for it. (Of course, if the Patriots still can't defend the deep ball, things won't go so well.)

Absolutely steamed about the kick-off returns. Sure, the coverage was bad, but take it from a European (we have kicking sports -- you know, foot-ball with the foot) that there is absolutely NO reason for Manning to be able to return those kicks. Gost has plenty of leg to get it out of the endzone in those conditions -- every single darned time.

The reason that he didn't is this stupid, stupid, stupid insistence on "hang time"/"kick it high". Of course, if someone is going to return your kick, you want time to get your coverage team there. But look at the ones that went out of the endzone -- much, much lower. No hang time -- but who cares? It's just physics, baby ...

If Gost can't do that every time, then get a kick-off kicker who can (Mesko?)

Thanks for the thoughts, as always PFK.

My thought is that the Patriots basically told us how they were going to try and win in the post-season wayyy back in the spring and summer of 2012.

TE Party
They brought in TE's to the point where it seemed like a joke to have so many roster spots tied to those guys. It's paid off to have that depth with so many games lost to injury by Gronk and Hernandez this season.

While Fells has been perhaps a disappointment, you've got to credit the front office as well as Hoo-man himself for the player development from scrap-heap into a sturdy backup. He could be due for a breakout performance just when we (and the Ravens) least expect it.

Having that depth and flexibility allows the Patriots offensive plan to remain intact when guys go down. Granted, Hoo-man didn't get all of Gronk's assignments (Brady noted as much in his post-game presser), but Hoo-man did an ample job of allowing the very flexible, quite unpredictable 2 TE offense to function.

Run the d&mn ball
We learned in the pre-season that the Patriots were going to commit to running the ball early in camp, and carry that attitude through the season. They clocked in at 5.1 YPC (24 for 122) last night. Last year's Bronco's game was 4.9 YPC, the Ravens game was 3.1 YPC and the Superbowl was 4.4 YPC for a total of 83 yards.

I am sure there are many Pats fans out there who got a similar warm feeling from seeing Ridley rip through the Texans line for a few nice gains. I hope we've not yet even seen the apex of the Patriots playoff running attack.

5. I'm going to assume that Woody will also be IRed.

That seems a bit premature. Reports are that he was playing catch during the game.

I think we could potentially help by creating more members, which in turn would help to offset the costs involved.

Sorry, I've already had all of the kids I'm going to.

:eek:

Breer already started questioning the Gronk thing last night on Twitter.

--------
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Obviously terrible too. Have to question the timing of his return. RT @inatsel: @AlbertBreer no terrible feeling for Gronkowski?

Probably b/c Pats won their game, Skins didn't. And Griffin's a QB. RT @steelz022 @AlbertBreer Yet Shanny takes heat. While BB gets a pass?
-----------

Um, no, big difference from RGIII. You could see early on that he was struggling and compromised in a way that would be an issue every single play. Plus the nature of the injury and how it could affect his entire career. Gronk could have gone 100 plays without landing on his arm the way he did last night. And I don't think a broken fore arm threatens the career of a TE.

Breer's being a prick? Gee what a surprise that is. I can't wait until his weekly radio spot this week when he tells us how the Ravens are going to win going away.

--------
Obviously terrible too. Have to question the timing of his return. RT @inatsel: @AlbertBreer no terrible feeling for Gronkowski?

Probably b/c Pats won their game, Skins didn't. And Griffin's a QB. RT @steelz022 @AlbertBreer Yet Shanny takes heat. While BB gets a pass?
-----------

Um, no, big difference from RGIII. You could see early on that he was struggling and compromised in a way that would be an issue every single play. Plus the nature of the injury and how it could affect his entire career. Gronk could have gone 100 plays without landing on his arm the way he did last night. And I don't think a broken fore arm threatens the career of a TE.

That volume will only get turned up as the day goes on... I wish for intelligent speak on talk radio or a venue that cares more about the fan, instead of contrarian dribble that drives the ratings game..

--------

-----------

Belichick dressed Breer down during the press conference because he basically accused Belichick of playing Gronk before he was ready.

Flacco LOVES to throw to the right side of the field. He is far less comfortable to throwing to his left. Everybody in the NFL knows this. Bring a safety over the top when T Smith lines up to the right and take your chances if he's lined up on the right.

Play the run and if Flacco beats you throwing to the TEs and WRs over the middle then so be it. Let's see if he can do it all day.

Congrats. I hope you get to the game. I was in NO when the Pats met the Bears in 85 (actually 86 to be accurate, but that distinction always confuses). What a great time, even with the loss. IMHO the Superbowl should ALWAYS be in NO.

I was also at the 86 Bowl in the Dome, me and my Andre Tippett shirt, although it didn't go as planned, had a tremendous time down there. Eight of us drove over from Jacksonville. The party in the French Quarter that prior Saturday night was beyond belief.

Belichick dressed Breer down during the press conference because he basically accused Belichick of playing Gronk before he was ready.

See, here it goes. Here it goes. Open up the can of worms and this is what you get. A media sideshow should anyone be unfortunate enough to get hurt upon returning to play.

Breer's being a prick? Gee what a surprise that is. I can't wait until his weekly radio spot this week when he tells us how the Ravens are going to win going away.

I don't get why people get upset when media guys make predictions. Who cares if Shaughnessy or Breer say the Pats will win big or lose. That's their job. CHB is obviously a dbag at times when writing about the Pats but that's kind of his role...to be a contrarian. He not nearly as vindictive as Borges.

Yes, and I cheered him from my sofa! It's football. People come back from injuries too soon ALL THE TIME. And if it goes wrong, it goes wrong. Next man up.

I thought our defense looked the best of any of the 8 defenses this weekend, including Seattle minus Chris Clemons, and arguably San Fran with Justin Smith less than 100%. I don't see Baltimore puttiing up 31 points this time around.
I think the rent a reffs had a lot to do with the score of that game, they were putrid. And unless the crew from yesterdays game is officiating the next game i don't see them putting up 31 points either.

I don't get why people get upset when media guys make predictions. Who cares if Shaughnessy or Breer say the Pats will win big or lose. That's their job. CHB is obviously a dbag at times when writing about the Pats but that's kind of his role...to be a contrarian. He not nearly as vindictive as Borges.

I don't care per se, I just find him annoying. He goes on the Sports Hub once a week as this local guy who made it big in the NFL reporting realm and it's clear he has a strong bias against the Patriots. Zolak has even mentioned it a few times on the air.

Great post as always, Ken.

A few of my own random remarks regarding yesterday's game.

1. McCourty has some serious wheels
I say this mainly because I thought Slater was the fastest on the team but McCourty blew past him to get to Manning and I don't think it had much to do with the angle. I wonder who will play Torrey Smith this week in practice.
2. Woodhead injury
The fact he was on the sideline gives me some comfort that he won't be IR'd. Might be out this game which would be unfortunate. I would guess we will see Bolden with some reps.
3. Justin Francis
This kid is stepping up. I don't know if he has any stats to speak of but he was noticable. He plays with quickness and power and between him and Scott, there didn't appear to be any drop-off when Chandler went down (except they switch sides with Nink). I didn't even see Cunnignham out there except for a goal-line play
4. Patient Defense
Liked how they picked their spots. Shaub would complete a few on early downs but the receivers were tackled quickly and you could see that for the most part, getting Houston in 3rd and long took them (Houston) out of their comfort zone. Love seeing the selective spots when Mayo blitzes. He is very explosive.
5. Welker
This guy is as tough as they come. He takes some serious hits and maintains his performance. Everything we already know.
6. Change in game plan
I don't know the extent of the game plan changes after Gronk and Woodhead went down on the first series but how many teams could simply adjust like that and still operate at a high level throughout the game.
7. Brady
Does anything more need to be said. The guy is the best and we are so fortunate to have had him for so long.

6. Change in game plan
I don't know the extent of the game plan changes after Gronk and Woodhead went down on the first series but how many teams could simply adjust like that and still operate at a high level throughout the game.

Game ball: Josh McDaniels!

I'm sorry, but it's been conclusively proven that Wilson was a wasted 2nd round draft pick. Just like Vereen. :p Who knows? Maybe Ras-I Dowling will even surprise a few people next year, after we have a few "the invisible Ras-I Dowling" threads.

I thought our defense looked the best of any of the 8 defenses this weekend, including Seattle minus Chris Clemons, and arguably San Fran with Justin Smith less than 100%. I don't see Baltimore puttiing up 31 points this time around.

We suffer from a pinch of homerism here, but I'm going to agree. Flacco has typically done well against us minus one read per game because of our sit back defensive style. Flacco typically folds against pressure, and this is the first game we'll have played against them since our change in philosophy.

It'll be interesting to see who gets matched up with Smith. Though, our deep coverage has improved dramatically with McCourty playing center field. Do you think Dennard can go toe to toe with Boldin?

The difference in our defense from Game 3 is almost past considerable. The entire secondary has been revamped. Only Gregory remains and his role has changed somewhat. Wilson has 15 more games under his belt. Arrington has gone from being a liability on the outside to an asset on the inside. Hightower is no longer really a rookie and has become a bigger factor over the last few games. Scott, Deadrick, and Frances are 3 more players that have much bigger roles than they had in the 2nd game of the season.

The Bottom line is that anyone who uses Baltimore's success last season, and in early season game in Baltimore is just not seeing what has happened to the Pats defense. I doubt very much the Baltimore coaching staff is even using those films as examples. So let the mediots tout the Ravens' success in those games. They are irrelevant to this game. plain and simple.

We suffer from a pinch of homerism here, but I'm going to agree. Flacco has typically done well against us minus one read per game because of our sit back defensive style. Flacco typically folds against pressure, and this is the first game we'll have played against them since our change in philosophy.

I know the Pats are taking a different approach these days vis-a-vis blitzing, but I am not optimistic that they will be able to get much pressure on Flacco. Jones is limited, they didn't get much pressure on Schaub, and the Ravens' O-Line has been doing great in pass protection in the playoffs.

I know the Pats are taking a different approach these days vis-a-vis blitzing, but I am not optimistic that they will be able to get much pressure on Flacco. Jones is limited, they didn't get much pressure on Schaub, and the Ravens' O-Line has been doing great in pass protection in the playoffs.

What should the Pats do if their pass rush is poor on Sunday? Have to force Flacco into difficult situations to get him off his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes