PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - first impressions (Pats - Saints preseason game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airdales are a tough bunch. No sweat Gwedd ;)

It's also easier running the ball if you have some faith in your defense. You don't have to score everytime you have the ball.

But depending on the score & time remaining, running the ball to keep your lousy defense off the field
is also a good idea.

Thank you, you are too kind. I'm looking at at least three rounds of back surgery over the next 6-10 months, and a knee replacement but nothing that will keep me away from the games, and my favorite fan site. :rocker:

It was good to see the first pre-season game, as it helped to muzzle some of the jonesing I've been doing since that last game that shall not be named.

Are you Sebastian Vollmer? Your posts don't have a German accent.

Good luck with your medical issues. Be a compliant patient and let us know when you're on your pain medications, so we can factor that into our responses.

Last edited:
Yo Pherein! It's good to see you around these parts again. I admit I've been away for awhile. Mostly health issues that I've had to deal with, and buying a new house with all the moving and such, but I've been lurking on and off.

I hope that you and yours have had a great off season, and that everything is well with you. I look forward to your comments.

Respects,

Hi Gwedd!!!:rocker: Missed you. A new house is always fun :) You must be loving that. I said a couple prayers for your health and well being. It must be very difficult and will continue to prey with all my heart that you and your family will overcome. I know you will.
You know theres a superstition in N.O. over the number 67?
Go figure huh,lol, a superstition in N.O. ? No way:)

Anyway 67 has shown up threw out our history. The full list is way to long to add.
Saints founded in 67
2009 Threw the saints SB run 67 showed up at every game.
2010 loss to seahawks lynch ran 67 yards to seal the game.
2011 loss to 49ers vernon Davis caught his 67th pass for a TD

Just to get your mind off your troubles. I thought it would be interesting to point out that 2 off the highest scoring offenses ended with

Saints 6 Patriots 7 :eek::eek::eek:

Get better friend ok

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gwedd
Thank you, you are too kind. I'm looking at at least three rounds of back surgery over the next 6-10 months, and a knee replacement but nothing that will keep me away from the games, and my favorite fan site.

It was good to see the first pre-season game, as it helped to muzzle some of the jonesing I've been doing since that last game that shall not be named.

Good luck with your surgeries, Im going in for a hip replacement in Oct so I can lie around watching the Pats games for a few weeks (have to look on the brightside), getting old is a biatch. Those old injuries you had when you were young and bullet proof come back to haunt you.

Good luck with your surgeries, Im going in for a hip replacement in Oct so I can lie around watching the Pats games for a few weeks (have to look on the brightside), getting old is a biatch. Those old injuries you had when you were young and bullet proof come back to haunt you.

Ain't that the truth. I did all that adrenalin junkie stuff when I was young and immortal, and now the bill is coming due. Ah well, it is what it is.

Fortunately, I've got my youngest daughter living with me, so she can earn her keep taking care of the place while I'm mending and lounging about. :cool:

I don't have enough posts to start a new thread, but I thought this was worth mentioning as far as the season outlook goes. I found this over at profootballweekly.com.

• “New England, I think, is going to dry up. The quarterback (Tom Brady) is on his way down and I don’t think he’s surrounded by the same amount of talent he was earlier in his career. The other one to me that is on the downswing is New Orleans. We’ll see if (Drew) Brees is worth everything they put into him. There are a lot of good teams out there. It was a different game last year with the lockout *— and it favored teams like the Patriots and Saints.”

Sounds like a bitter gm or personnel guy perhaps.

Here's the link: ProFootballWeekly.com - Insider: Patriots, Saints on downswing

Last edited:
I don't have enough posts to start a new thread, but I thought this was worth mentioning as far as the season outlook goes. I found this over at profootballweekly.com.

Not surrounded by the same amount of talent than earlier in his career?

Let's see.

Welker-Gronk-Hernandez-Lloyd

vs

Caldwell-Troy Brown's corpse-Chad Jackson-Doug Gabriel

Not surrounded by the same amount of talent than earlier in his career?

Let's see.

Welker-Gronk-Hernandez-Lloyd

vs

Caldwell-Troy Brown's corpse-Chad Jackson-Doug Gabriel

I know, I was dumbfounded when I read that. Who would compare the receiving corps of today vs. that of years ago and conclude that the talent has deteriorated????

Last edited:
I know, I was dumbfounded when I read that. Who would compare the receiving core of today vs. that of years ago and conclude that the talent has deteriorated????

If it's opposing GM or scouts, it makes you wonder about their competency to evaluate talent.

Wow. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I've been around for a lot longer than the Brady years, and I think THIS team (minus crushing injuries) could be one of the most athletically talented we ever have had. Unfortunately a lot of that talent on the defensive side is very young, so there will be growing pains. But beyond that, I think that "source" is just whistling past the wind. He's one of the "stopped watch brigade". For the last several years there will always be someone predicting the Pats demise, and one of these days they will get to be right......Just not this year....or in the near future.

If it's opposing GM or scouts, it makes you wonder about their competency to evaluate talent.

True, and I appreciate those willing to give "insider" information, but it makes you question the value of the opinion of the gm/personnel guy who isn't busy doing other things.

Wow. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I've been around for a lot longer than the Brady years, and I think THIS team (minus crushing injuries) could be one of the most athletically talented we ever have had. Unfortunately a lot of that talent on the defensive side is very young, so there will be growing pains. But beyond that, I think that "source" is just whistling past the wind. He's one of the "stopped watch brigade". For the last several years there will always be someone predicting the Pats demise, and one of these days they will get to be right......Just not this year....or in the near future.

Compare this offensive team to, say, 06's for instance. Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Gronk and Hernandez vs. Caldwell, Gaffney, Brown, Watson and Graham. I mean, really? There is simply no comparison. Not to mention 06 featured the old legs of Corey Dillon that had given out. I'll take Ridley over Dillon of that year. Of course 06 Faulk is still more valuable than 12 Woodhead.

Compare this offensive team to, say, 06's for instance. Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Gronk and Hernandez vs. Caldwell, Gaffney, Brown, Watson and Graham. I mean, really? There is simply no comparison. Not to mention 06 featured the old legs of Corey Dillon that had given out. I'll take Ridley over Dillon of that year. Of course 06 Faulk is still more valuable than 12 Woodhead.
Hey. how about going back to 2001 when the WRs where (IIRC) Troy Brown, David Patten, and Fred freakin Brown....and no one else. And I can't remember even one TE, let alone 2.

However 2 facts have stuck in my head from those days. One was the 3rd WR that season has something like 14 catches, and that all the TE's combined had less that 20. A lot has changed since then.

BTW- I just remembered one TE, sort of.....the kid from East Boston. who had more catches in the snow bowl game than he had the entire regular season (IIRC)

I didn't know RayRay from Jets Insider was an NFL scout. Seriously, I can see the loss of Sean Payton hurting the Saints, but if they can overcome that I expect both the Pats and Saints to be strong Super Bowl contenders this year.

Hey. how about going back to 2001 when the WRs where (IIRC) Troy Brown, David Patten, and Fred freakin Brown....and no one else. And I can't remember even one TE, let alone 2.

However 2 facts have stuck in my head from those days. One was the 3rd WR that season has something like 14 catches, and that all the TE's combined had less that 20. A lot has changed since then.

BTW- I just remembered one TE, sort of.....the kid from East Boston. who had more catches in the snow bowl game than he had the entire regular season (IIRC)

I'm trying to rack my brain here. One TE was Jermaine Wiggins wasn't it? I thought about Christian Fauria too, but I'm not sure if he was there yet.

I'm trying to rack my brain here. One TE was Jermaine Wiggins wasn't it? I thought about Christian Fauria too, but I'm not sure if he was there yet.

Rod Rutledge I think.

Excellent point. And remember what BB and staff can do about getting people in the best possible position to put their talents to use. Even if it was limited in years past. And, if we get back to putting our best football (defense) towards the end of the year, that could easily make the offense that much better.

One thing that probably gets overlooked at the Pats low scoring SB losses is that they still yielded a good number of points per possession (I believe). With a potential improved running game, it could be very scary if the O gets 1-2 more possessions in a game (assuming D makes more stops and continues to generate turnovers).

Rod Rutledge I think.
You got it. Rod Rutledge. If it was this hard to remember the top 2 TE's that year, you'd need the roster to find out who their back up was. I haven't even a clue, and unlike the first 2, I doubt I'd recognize the name if I heard it. Imagine 20 catches in an entire season. That's about a 2 game total for Gronk and Hernandez these days.

We've come a long way baby.

LOL, read the same thing last night. But I post to much as it is, and thought the phrase " The quarterback (Tom Brady) is on his way down" was not only hilarious, but most of his opinions were closer to what I would post if drinking at a bar on my iPad...

..and then doing some crack...changing my post to be even more delusional.
Pop some methamphetamines, to clear my head of all the spiders on the wall talking to me and telling me what to say.
Repost something that didn't include my either post with Jimmy Buffet secretly feeding BB messages in his music, the fact that all teams were actually killed in a bazaar plane clash in 2001 and the NFL replaced them with high school teams, and the proof that Foxboro was nothing more than an elaborate crop circle.
Mainline heroin to calm my nerves, and gain prospective on things and post what he did:cool:
So I decided not to give it any air time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes