PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - first impressions (Pats - Saints preseason game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But didn't he also completely whiff on a punt returner on whom he had a clear shot?

I think that was a case where he actually got there too soon and caught himself in the middle. He wanted to hold up to not get an interference penalty, then just stuttered a bit. First game of the preseason I won't hold that against him because A) It still shows he has the wheels to get there that fast and B) He's proven in past seasons he's an ace gunner, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

If Hightower doesn't improve his wrap-up technique, then Tebow will break his tackle attempt
and continue running.

I'm of the opinion his "wrap up" technique is very good...the point is he has to USE it...he took body shots at runners last night expecting them to go down like they did in college...up here you use that type of technique on the sidelines, otherwise wrap and take to the ground...I also think we may be guilty of being a tad too critical after just one preseason game...for me,getting out of this game losing Fletcher was the worst downside to last night.

Some things do not change in the NFL...one constant is that any team you pick you have to evalaute after a fair sized sample..usually the first eight games...before you can honestly see what you've got...the first preseason game is nothing more than a scrimmage with refs AFAIC....

Last edited:
Niko and Tarp compete for the last ST/LB roster spot. Most have Niko ahead of Tarp.

I don't.

Niko sux on defense; Tarp is unknown, but at least has youth, speed & agility on his side.

We should be past the bad old days when we had to suffer watching ST "mavens"(snicker)
who were absolutely useless playing a position.

I think that was a case where he actually got there too soon and caught himself in the middle. He wanted to hold up to not get an interference penalty, then just stuttered a bit. First game of the preseason I won't hold that against him because A) It still shows he has the wheels to get there that fast and B) He's proven in past seasons he's an ace gunner, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

I could count the # of times on 1 hand - and still have fingers left over - when Slater is:
the first player to meet a returner + make initial contact + make the tackle alone or assisted.

If Hightower doesn't improve his wrap-up technique, then Tebow will break his tackle attempt
and continue running.

I firmly expect that to be a coaching point with Patricia and Belichick this week.

Nice post as always Ken!

Hard to put stock into a preseason game but if I had to offer an opinion about last night it'd be a positive one aside from Fletcher's injury. Pass rush and coverage was on point. The running game looked great too. Those are the 2 areas this team obviously needed to improve, the passing game while it struggled I have little doubt it's going to be a strength this season. Again, the only regrettable part of the night was Fletcher's injury for me, other than that I'm happy with what I saw.

c. The two TV announcers were just too horrible to listen to. Its hard to believe the Krafts still bring these two guys back every preseason. The make so many simple logistic mistakes that you wouldn't expect to hear from professionals. Misnaming players. Wrong down and distance, etc, etc.

The worst part about it was they were absolutely making stuff up at the end of the game. I would give them a break as it must be tough when player 80-90 start hitting the field but IMO that excuses bad analysis not making stuff up.

There were a few instances where I said to my brother how could that possibly be. I cant remember them all but one was in reference to Ebert as they said that he had been impressing in camp which is funny as he has only been cleared for full participation in one practice which was a shorts and shells practice too maybe 2 or 3 practices in total but I am pretty sure just the one.

I have to stop posting so late at night. By the time I got to the end, I'm kinda surprised that it all didn't come out as gibberish. But one thing I find interesting in that it hasn't been mentioned by the media or any fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC the Pats got the ball back from the Saints with just under 2 minutes left in the game, and they let the clock run out without the pats having to run a play.

Now I know WHY the 2 coaches were happy just to have the scrimmage end without any more plays, but I was surprised no one even mentioned it. So here's the question, "did I recall correctly?

did i ever say brady was a wild party animal in his younger days? you make a ton of excuses for the super bowl losses, which is frankly embarrasing. and i NEVER said football doesn't matter to TB anymore. all im saying is his family has taken over as his number ine priorty, which is understandable for any man. my point is however he seems to lost a bit of the fire he used to have - just a little it.

I'm sorry, but that post is pablum, partiularly that last sentence.

I just showed you 75 TDs/16INTs in the past two years, a unanimous NFL MVP in 2010 and 5,235 yards passing (second most in HISTORY) in 2011 and you write this graffitti????

That crazy QB jump/somersault leap into the EZ right in front of a charging Ray Lewis to win the AFCCG wasn't "fire in the belly" enough for you?????

Please. Think before typing.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but that post is pablum, partiularly that last sentence.

I just showed you 75 TDs/16INTs in the past two years, a unanimous NFL MVP in 2010 and 5,235 yards passing (second most in HISTORY) in 2011 and you write this graffitti????

That crazy QB jump/somersault leap into the EZ right in front of a charging Ray Lewis to win the AFCCG wasn't "fire in the belly" enough for you?????

Please. Think before typing.

There was that one time when he didn't ____________ .... :bricks:

Last edited:
I have to stop posting so late at night. By the time I got to the end, I'm kinda surprised that it all didn't come out as gibberish. But one thing I find interesting in that it hasn't been mentioned by the media or any fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC the Pats got the ball back from the Saints with just under 2 minutes left in the game, and they let the clock run out without the pats having to run a play.

Now I know WHY the 2 coaches were happy just to have the scrimmage end without any more plays, but I was surprised no one even mentioned it. So here's the question, "did I recall correctly?

You recall correctly, but why would anyone mention it? The broadcast duo mentioned that each team had 2 TO remaining, but then BB had the Hammer take a knee and at that point it was Vitt's decision to be a jerk or not - and he opted for not.

You guys sure got a monster in Chandler Jones. Dude is going to be a pure beast!!!

Agreed. That kid can piss thunder. Short of demarcus ware Ive never seen Bushrod that busy. It almost looked like Chandler didn't really show Bushrod what he could do in practice or was in a lower gear. Granted Bushrod got a holding that was pretty suspect when he planted Jones.

But Bushrod is not a sissy boy or someone you can manhandle or fight easily.
Bushrod is not the best LT in the NFL but one of the best because he beats you threw Stamina. Jeremy can fight just as good in the 1st quarter as the 4th and it wears out most top rushers on that side, its why he got the spot. He did it to Freeman and even Ware once. Plus he gets beat but learns quick.
But if Chandler can conserve that motor he has and strike at the right times, or has the ability like Ware to floor it every down for 4 quarters, then he is going to have to be bumped or double teamed out of respect, and that will open up many opportunities for the patriots DL and pass rush.
Bushrod doesn't shake his head for just anyone, but saw him do it that night. Be interesting to see if it was still shaking in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Yo Pherein! It's good to see you around these parts again. I admit I've been away for awhile. Mostly health issues that I've had to deal with, and buying a new house with all the moving and such, but I've been lurking on and off.

I hope that you and yours have had a great off season, and that everything is well with you. I look forward to your comments.

Respects,

Agreed. That kid can piss thunder. Short of demarcus ware Ive never seen Bushrod that busy. It almost looked like Chandler didn't really show Bushrod what he could do in practice or was in a lower gear. Granted Bushrod got a holding that was pretty suspect when he planted Jones.

But Bushrod is not a sissy boy or someone you can manhandle or fight easily.
Bushrod is not the best LT in the NFL but one of the best because he beats you threw Stamina. Jeremy can fight just as good in the 1st quarter as the 4th and it wears out most top rushers on that side, its why he got the spot. He did it to Freeman and even Ware once. Plus he gets beat but learns quick.
But if Chandler can conserve that motor he has and strike at the right times, or has the ability like Ware to floor it every down for 4 quarters, then he is going to have to be bumped or double teamed out of respect, and that will open up many opportunities for the patriots DL and pass rush.
Bushrod doesn't shake his head for just anyone, but saw him do it that night. Be interesting to see if it was still shaking in the 4th quarter.

From Drew Boylhart's profile of Jones last February (well before the pre-draft hype on Jones took off):

Chandler is a freakishly strong and athletic Defensive End for a 4-3 defense. He has quickness combined with a natural strength that allows him to be what I call a power pass rusher. Because of his strength and long arms, he is terrific when standing up at the point of attack to shed a block and make tackles; in fact, he's as good as any defensive tackle in the NFL. Chandler is very smart and understands situational football. He will make plays all over the field -- running downs or passing downs. He will bait his opponent into making mistakes and understands what an offensive coordinator is trying to do to him. Chandler uses very mature pass rushing techniques and because his hand usage is so quick and his explosion off the line is so strong, there is no way at the college level he can be handled one-on-one. If you double team him, he will split the double team and still get pressure on the QB.

Chandler knows how to play his position and has the athletic talent to impact at that position. In every game I've watched of Chandler, he has had an impact on the play, either directly or indirectly. He either plays his position and makes the play himself or he is pressuring the QB or RB into making mistakes so others can make a play on his team. He is a bait and switch type of player. By that I mean he will bait his opponent and lull him into thinking he is going to do one thing and than switches and does just the opposite. By the time he gets through with playing a game he has his opponent confused and struggling to handle him in just about any situation. Chandler is very smart and knows how to change his way of attacking and getting into the back field from one play to another. He also understands his opponents' weaknesses and, like a boa constrictor, slowly squeezes the life out of his prey. Chandler squeezes the confidence out of the offensive linemen all during the game. He affects the plays called by an offensive coordinator during a game. In the Connecticut game, I saw him make three plays in a row just on one set of downs: two tackles in a row to hold the RB to a total of three yards, then on the third play, he broke in and pressured the QB into throwing an interception. I call him Chandler (Bait & Switch) Jones because all game long, he is pulling the old bait and switch on the offensive linemen like pick pocket teams on the streets of New York. This is one athletically, smart and powerful pass rusher who can stop the run as well as he can rush the passer.

2010 NFL DRAFT

Sounds pretty consistent with what Jones showed against the Saints.

Our RB's - Ridley ran hard and decisively for a 5ypc, Vareen completely took over the 3rd quarter and was the main reason we got the 7 points we managed, and averaged 6ypc, albeit against the NO scrubs. He still looked good. Bolden was less successful, but could be a very nice addition to the PS. I liked what Katani showed blocking and catching the ball. Granted he's the only FB left standing, but he is a binky of mine, and if the Pats DO keep a FB this season, he's my pick.

Andy Hart has picked up on the potential for the running game:

Andy Hart joins the Sports Tonight crew and says there are definitely some observations to be made in that small sample size. The Patriots will run more. Gone are the days when the Patriots will try to out-pass everyone and let their fate rest solely on the golden arm of Tom Brady. Instead, it appears the Patriots will try to embrace a more complementary brand of football this year. A solid running game will allow them to run out the clock late in the games, give their defense a rest and control the tempo - all good things.

Hart: Pats look for more balance

Music to my ears, even if it is based on only 1 preseason game.

My first impression:

The Saints suck except when they are good.:)

Yo Pherein! It's good to see you around these parts again. I admit I've been away for awhile. Mostly health issues that I've had to deal with, and buying a new house with all the moving and such, but I've been lurking on and off.

I hope that you and yours have had a great off season, and that everything is well with you. I look forward to your comments.

Respects,

Gwedd...I think I say it for all of us that we hope you start feeling better healthwise with each and every Patriots victory that comes about starting next month :rocker:

Gwedd...I think I say it for all of us that we hope you start feeling better healthwise with each and every Patriots victory that comes about starting next month :rocker:

Thank you, you are too kind. I'm looking at at least three rounds of back surgery over the next 6-10 months, and a knee replacement but nothing that will keep me away from the games, and my favorite fan site. :rocker:

It was good to see the first pre-season game, as it helped to muzzle some of the jonesing I've been doing since that last game that shall not be named.

Thank you, you are too kind. I'm looking at at least three rounds of back surgery over the next 6-10 months, and a knee replacement but nothing that will keep me away from the games, and my favorite fan site. :rocker:

It was good to see the first pre-season game, as it helped to muzzle some of the jonesing I've been doing since that last game that shall not be named.
OUCH! That does not sound like fun. Hopefully it will all work out in the end and you will look back at it as being short term pain, for a long term gain. I know that's easy to say, and 10 months doesn't sound like "short term" to you, but it is what it is. Maybe if you rehab as Spaulding you can work with Dane. ;) Good luck, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back