PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - first impressions (Pats - Saints preseason game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good thing is Tarpinian looked like glue towards the end of the game on TEs and RBs, I noticed it last year too. With such big linebackers on the team and Fletcher done for the year, a good young coverage LB is worth having.

Yes. Let's look at the bright side here. Dane Fletcher's injury has opened up a spot for everyone's binky last year, Tarpinian. Bobby Carpenter, from all accounts, was playing his way onto this team regardless. Tarpinian is going to get on this team the Dane Fletcher route; as a coverage and ST backer, due to their being nobody who can really challenge him for defensive depth (Niko, Riveria).

that "it"factor needs to resurface , especially in the playoffs. i personally think he's got a lot more to worry about with a wife and a couple of kids. he's no longer that single bachelor type without any cares in the world except for football.

You mean, a single bachelor like Gronk who is probably out drinking five or six nights a week and chasing girls until 2 AM?

No thanks, I'll take the family man who stays at home watching whatever's on his DVR, is in bed by 11 and up early to take care of the kids either way.

Give me a break, anyway. There's about 8 million little things that could've gone our way in the last two Super Bowls that would've gotten us rings (Asante, Harrison, Meriweather dropping INTs; the Tyree play; the last bomb to Moss...Brady-Welker play; two loose fumbles no one is near; Mayo missing an INT on the Cruz pass; the Giants punter having an amazing day) - and a million plays in the first three that could've prevented us from getting a ring (Tuck rule, Kasay kickoff, McNabb implosion - for instance). For you to somehow get to the conclusion that none of those things mattered and its Brady's family life that affected the outcome - that's a huge head scratcher.

I've said it for two years now, and I'll say it again: Something is bothering Brady. I don't know what it is, I haven't a clue, but it seems to be either mechanical, or something to do with his eyesight, or maybe both. Who knows? But I believe that there is a problem, probably a minor one, but it's contributing to those "errant" passes we have seen these past two years, and a couple again tonight.

Pretty amazing he can become the only unanimous MVP of all time and lead the team to the brink of a Super Bowl with this bothering him the last two years!

This is something i've noticed with solder. Even before we drafted him I noticed that he oversteps and then guys just break to the inside. But when he was playing right tackle when vollmer was hurt it wasn't really an issue. I honestly think Solder should be our right tackle and hopefully when vollmer comes back he can hold down the left side.

You mean, a single bachelor like Gronk who is probably out drinking five or six nights a week and chasing girls until 2 AM?

No thanks, I'll take the family man who stays at home watching whatever's on his DVR, is in bed by 11 and up early to take care of the kids either way.

Give me a break, anyway. There's about 8 million little things that could've gone our way in the last two Super Bowls that would've gotten us rings (Asante, Harrison, Meriweather dropping INTs; the Tyree play; the last bomb to Moss...Brady-Welker play; two loose fumbles no one is near; Mayo missing an INT on the Cruz pass; the Giants punter having an amazing day) - and a million plays in the first three that could've prevented us from getting a ring (Tuck rule, Kasay kickoff, McNabb implosion - for instance). For you to somehow get to the conclusion that none of those things mattered and its Brady's family life that affected the outcome - that's a huge head scratcher.

did i ever say brady was a wild party animal in his younger days? you make a ton of excuses for the super bowl losses, which is frankly embarrasing. and i NEVER said football doesn't matter to TB anymore. all im saying is his family has taken over as his number ine priorty, which is understandable for any man. my point is however he seems to lost a bit of the fire he used to have - just a little it.

did i ever say brady was a wild party animal in his younger days? you make a ton of excuses for the super bowl losses, which is frankly embarrasing. and i NEVER said football doesn't matter to TB anymore. all im saying is his family has taken over as his number ine priorty, which is understandable for any man. my point is however he seems to lost a bit of the fire he used to have - just a little it.

No, what's embarrassing is that our fanbase now expects to win every game so much that reasons another great team beat our great team are categorized as "excuses." Sometimes the bad guys win.

Brady was never a Gronkowski-esque party animal, far from it - but even being a responsible 20-something who hangs out in the bars in Boston keeps you up much later than living with the wife and kid. It wasn't like the guy was a shut-in.

If anything, Brady's life has probably become far more narrowed on football and family than being stretched thin by being a young, rich, mid-20s celebrity athlete living in the city.

His focus on nutrition & health is way sharper and more refined than when he was younger.

I honestly don't know someone who has followed this team in earnest the past decade can suggest Brady has become less focused on football. He's turned the game and the preparation for it into a science in his later years, and even if he weren't putting in the same hours (which he is), his efficiency and effort is much higher.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing he can become the only unanimous MVP of all time and lead the team to the brink of a Super Bowl with this bothering him the last two years!

But what I am talking about is noticeable if you look back over the past 3 seasons or so and compare them to the 2001-2007 years.

I'm NOT complaining, per se, about what he's accomplished. Far from it. He's got my vote for the GOAT at QB, and rightly so.

But I've seen some issues with his passes, with his judgement on certain plays, where balls seemingly had a mind of their own. Yeah, there's always timing issues. The Patriots run a complicated offense, and it's to be expected that every now and then a receiver will be out of position. The other team gets a vote on every play as well, and you have to respect that.

BUT, there were an awful lot of balls that went into the dirt these past 3 seasons or so. Balls that went short, or were behind the receiver. Throws that were just somehow out of character for our Golden Boy. Maybe it's something that happens with age. maybe he's plateued. Maybe we are all just so blessed with this great player that we've come to expect perfection of him, like he demands of himself.

All I was pointing out was that there is something, to my mind, that isn't quite right with him. Some little thing that's taken a bit of the edge off of him. I'm damned greatful we still have him, and anyone like me who cheered and cried through the previous 40 years of Patriots games know that we are in a true golden era.

He's still far and away my choice and I hope he can do this for another 3-5 years. I'm just pointing out my own observation, and would be interested in hearing from anyone else who might have noticed this, and what they feel might be behind it.

V/R

Last edited:
He's still far and away my choice and I hope he can do this for another 3-5 years. I'm just pointing out my own observation, and would be interested in hearing from anyone else who might have noticed this, and what they feel might be behind it.

Fair enough, I know you're not one to be arbitrarily negative, so I won't dismiss it - if I had to break it down, I would say two things are going on:

1) Brady's trend to throw the ball only where the receiver can get it. He has thrown the ball lower and lower to his receivers the past few years b/c they are capable of getting it there, and the defender is not. It's how 2010 and four INTs was possible. But as a result, his misses will look worse - but they are difficult to pick off.
2) We're looking at him under a microscope, especially since 2007 and the ACL injury in 2008. If we went back to 2004, I'm sure we'd see his accuracy remains as sharp as it did then.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I know you're not one to be arbitrarily negative, so I won't dismiss it - if I had to break it down, I would say two things are going on:

1) Brady's trend to throw the ball only where the receiver can get it. He has thrown the ball lower and lower to his receivers the past few years b/c they are capable of getting it there, and the defender is not. It's how 2010 and four INTs was possible. But as a result, his misses will look worse - but they are difficult to pick off.
2) We're looking at him under a microscope, especially since 2007 and the ACL injury in 2008. If we went back to 2004, I'm sure we'd see his accuracy remains as sharp as it did then.

Concur. I don't doubt that this could be the likely culprit, and it fits right in with his pursuit of perfection. I also do NOT want to be seen as a pessimist. I'm not. I'm just someone who sometimes sees things and starts to wonder, then starts to look possible reasons, etc. In other words, I'm a fan, and it's been a LONG off-season. :cool:

I hope I'm wrong with my observations. Like I said, I'm putting this out as a personal observation, and looking for feedback from others who might have noticed the same thing.

Respects,

Niko and Tarp compete for the last ST/LB roster spot. Most have Niko ahead of Tarp.

Yes. Let's look at the bright side here. Dane Fletcher's injury has opened up a spot for everyone's binky last year, Tarpinian. Bobby Carpenter, from all accounts, was playing his way onto this team regardless. Tarpinian is going to get on this team the Dane Fletcher route; as a coverage and ST backer, due to their being nobody who can really challenge him for defensive depth (Niko, Riveria).

Niko and Tarp compete for the last ST/LB roster spot. Most have Niko ahead of Tarp.

As much as I am also a fan of Tarpinian, it's also clear that he loses out to Niko if it comes down to that.

On the other hand, there are a lot of other teams who would be happy to have the problems we have with our depth chart. I saw a comment somewhere that there were a LOT of opponents scouts in the stands last night too.

Last edited:

So which one do you see as having the upper hand?

Last edited:
As much as I am also a fan of Tarpinian, it's also clear that he loses out to Nink if it comes down to that.

On the other hand, there are a lot of other teams who would be happy to have the problems we have with our depth chart. I saw a comment somewhere that there were a LOT of opponents scouts in the stands last night too.

I think he meant Niko Koutivides...not Ninkovich

The Greek, not the Russian...LOL

;)

You guys sure got a monster in Chandler Jones. Dude is going to be a pure beast!!!

Concur. I don't doubt that this could be the likely culprit, and it fits right in with his pursuit of perfection. I also do NOT want to be seen as a pessimist. I'm not. I'm just someone who sometimes sees things and starts to wonder, then starts to look possible reasons, etc. In other words, I'm a fan, and it's been a LONG off-season. :cool:

Agreed; and again, I wouldn't consider you a pessimist at all either, and that's why I took another look at your remarks & your observations and gave them further thought.

I think he meant Niko Koutivides...not Ninkovich

The Greek, not the Russian...LOL

;)

Yes..... spelling error on my part. Funny how one little letter can change something, eh? :eek:

I'll go back and edit it. Sigh.

You guys sure got a monster in Chandler Jones. Dude is going to be a pure beast!!!

You'll also find a lot of Patriots fans who are Saints fans too. It's nice to see you guys having a good run with a great QB too. Fans have to respect that, and how much effort you guys put into your team and fanbase.

My thinking is (a) Tarpinian beat out Koutouvides last year in camp, despite missing most of it, (b) Tarpinian was already calling the defense by his second preaseason game, (c) Koutouvides was out of football until he was re-signed in November, and (d) Koutouvides was only re-signed when Tarpinian was IRed.

Obviously last year the coaches really liked Tarp. I have so far read nothing in the camp reports that would suggest BB would guarantee a full year's salary to Koutouvides by having him on the roster Week 1 over Tarpinian.

I have one wish.

I want to see Tim Tebow in the wildcat for the Jets get through the line cleanly and meet up with Donta Hightower.

Lord, have mercy!

If Hightower doesn't improve his wrap-up technique, then Tebow will break his tackle attempt
and continue running.

How about the ST coverage teams as another plus? That's become a pretty consistent strength in the era of Scott O'Brien, Mesko, Gostkowski and Slater. Slater in particular seems to have a total jailbreak as a gunner at some point in each game.

But didn't he also completely whiff on a punt returner on whom he had a clear shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back