PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - 2 weeks worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as optimistic as the next fan, but I think the defense earlier in the decade had a lot more going for it than just experience.

Look at it this way. Assume the defense continues, or starts, to improve, and the team makes the playoffs. Now, with that added experience of 13 more games, match them up against the offenses that the Patriots went through to get to the super bowls....2001 Rams, 2003 Colts, 2004 Colts/ 2004 Steelers etc. Few, if any, 6'4 receivers, except for maybe plaxico. Assume pre-polian rules.

Do you think this defense would fair as well as the 'old' defense?

I'm not sure how to answer that question. But as usual I DO have some observations. ;)

Just like you build a team toward a certain style base on the personnel you have, the weather, or football philosophy, you also build based on the rules of the game. Early in the decade the Colts and Rams built teams that thrived in the turf/dome environment. When he got the chance, he added rules that benefited his team as well.

Face it the game is just plain different now. How do you justify the fact that prior to 2004 having a QB throw 4000 yds was a once in a decade event. Last season no fewer than TEN QBs managed to reach that number....and number 11 was Kyle freakin Ortin :eek:
Its no coincidence.

Again I'm not saying that the superbowl D's were bad, just different....for a different time....a different offensive game.

Oh, I would only trade Mankins to a bad team.

He's worth a late third rounder regardless in compensation if/when we let him go.

It's getting late now, and it might ruffle feathers to bring him into the fold unless it's done in the next two weeks.

Regardless, it seems it's time to move on.

And I agree that paying a guard $8 million does not seem all that smart.

But on the other hand, we have Stephen Neal who is ready to retire after this year.

I'm 50/50 on this one. OK with whatever the brass decides. I'd rather that $8 million be used to snag a bigtime pass rusher, but we know what the price is for that these days--it would take almost twice that to bring someone in.

Remember that Richard Seymour never signed with the Raiders and is a franchised player and a FA next year. What is more he fits the Defense, adds pass rush from the DL, and veteran leadership to this young Defense. .

Remember that Richard Seymour never signed with the Raiders and is a franchised player and a FA next year. What is more he fits the Defense, adds pass rush from the DL, and veteran leadership to this young Defense. .

Bit of bad blood there though, no?

It would be funny to have the Raiders' pick AND Seymour, I have to say. Their fans might commit mass suicide, if they haven't already.

Bit of bad blood there though, no?

It would be funny to have the Raiders' pick AND Seymour, I have to say. Their fans might commit mass suicide, if they haven't already.

That's not going to happen even if the the so called "bad blood" isn't an issue. Next year the Pats will have a healthy Ty Warren, and a ready for prime time (if he continues to develop) Ron Brace, as well as Gerard Warren in his 2nd year in the system. That's going to be a pretty good DE rotation. Paying another year older Richard Seymour top dollar seems a bit redundant, doesn't it?

That's not going to happen even if the the so called "bad blood" isn't an issue. Next year the Pats will have a healthy Ty Warren, and a ready for prime time (if he continues to develop) Ron Brace, as well as Gerard Warren in his 2nd year in the system. That's going to be a pretty good DE rotation. Paying another year older Richard Seymour top dollar seems a bit redundant, doesn't it?

No. Because this early season has taught us a couple of things:

1) you can never have enough savvy vets
2) gee, a pass rush is awfully nice
3) talent and brains are a good thing

Last edited:

Yeah, I'd tend to agree w/this. I assume the price tag wouldn't be worth it, but I'd still love to have the player.

Although some of you may think so, Seymour isn't coming back. That bridge has been burned. As for the D-line next year, I definitely think that we'll draft a DE within the first two rounds. The only question is, where does that leave G. Warren? I think he was originally brought in as a stop-gap DE given the uncertainties with Brace. If he can perform the way he has the past three weeks, he might come back. Here's how I see it looking next year:

Wilfork
T Warren
Brace
Pryor
Wright
(Rookie)
Love/Weston
Deaderick

Pardon me, but we must be thinking about a different Richard Seymour, Garb. You make him sound like the 2nd coming of Jared Allen. Richard WAS one of the top interior DLmen, but he was NEVER a focus point of pass rush, even in his prime

Don't get me wrong, Seymour is going to be an asset to any team he's on (though probably an over valued one), but he's not going to solve any team's pass rush problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes