PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts – a reflective edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOLDER
To me, this is our #1 problem. It is difficult to make up for a poorly performing LT, unless you have a top LG.

PASSING GAME
Why isn't Amendola open as a slot receiver? Why isn't anyone open over the middle is the 3 WR set (50% of the reps)? Throwing short over the middle used to be our bread and butter. Obviously, there is no one that Brady trust downfield, even when there is time. Throwing to the check down receiver or running screens seem to be gone from the playbook.

RUNNING GAME
I agree that the RB's should attack the LOS more. I believe that much of the problem is lack of constant blocking from the OL and TE's. And, there is the obvious lack of depth behind Ridley and Vereen.

STEPPING IT UP
You say that what is need is for Josh (and the players) to step it up. This is really difficult when much of the running game is removed without replacement (Blount), and the starting LG is waived with a week to go in the preseason. If Mankins was to be moved, the least that might have been done is to add a veteran lineman. There were lots of JAGs that might have been signed early. PLEASE, let's not ask for a list of those who might be better than one of Devey or Kline. Obviously, there were players out there.

Now, it will take time for the new OL to gel. That sounds like a cliche, but it is true. We haven't even found a starting line yet. It will take time, once the OL is in place.

Perhaps, the OL coach has done poorly in starting Cannon at LG instead of the next man up (Kline or Connolly). I guess that the injuries to Stork and Wendell reduced the options considerably. In both hindsight and foresight, we might have started Kline at LG and Cannon at RG. While I am not a fan of Cannon at OG, he was the next man up after Mankins was traded. Of course, Kline played some LG last year.

DEFENSE
I have the same concern as you do: durability. Ninkovich, Jones, Mayo and Hightower are expected to play ALL the defensive reps. We identified the need for depth at LB and DE throughout the off-season. Skinner is the only backup to get more than 1 rep. Perhaps we will have some help when, and if, Buchanan is healthy.

OK, I watched the game closely. I’ve read most of the game threads, and here’s where I come down on the current situation. Am I concerned about the OL, of course I am. Do I wish the offense was more productive, absolutely! However, am I ready to panic on any of these issues…..not even close.

I didn’t post right away because I assumed the self-entitled hand wringers deserved their moment in the sun, and I certainly didn’t want to rain on their parade. It’s not that they don’t have a leg to stand on. 2 sacks aren’t an issue to me, but the SIX QB hits are. So while there ARE things to be concerned about, the LEVEL of anxiety seems way overblown.

Let’s not forget that this is the post 2010 NFL. This is the league of more limited practices, almost non-existent pre-season contact, and team turnover rates of around 20% that coaches are trying to deal with. Is it any wonder why we are seeing such inconsistent football league-wide.

The timing of these complex offenses are such that, I don’t doubt that we will be well into October before we see the kind of consistency we’d all like to see from Brady and company. I am confident that this team is good enough overall to win enough games over the next month or so, that we will be in good position to claim another division crown

One of the keys to the Pats success over the past 13 seasons is the fact that there Pats do a better job coaching up their players than most teams. So while the problems DO exist, why would anyone think they will be issues that won’t improve over time. What in the past 13 seasons would make you feel otherwise.

All that being said, here is what I was thinking about while I was watching the game:

1. It seems to me that the Pats RB’s do better when they attack the LOS quickly. I think too many of their running plays take too long to develop.

2. Brady continues to ignore his check down receivers. I’d like the Pats to do this more. It was very effective for Cutler and the Bears tonight. There were more than a few time I thought I saw Devlin open in this game

3. I think we need to stretch the field more in the passing game. More 15-20 yds intermediate throws. I’m not looking for bombs here. But I get the feeling too many teams are sitting on the short routes. At TC it seemed the Pats were throwing the ball down field more, but for some reason, once the season started, those throws seemed to have disappeared from the play book.

4. My biggest concern about the D was the lack of substitution for Jones and Ninko. Once again they seem to be on the field more than 90% of the time.

5. My other concern is that 2 of my binkies, Collins and Easley, have yet to stand out and have big games and plays. I think they’ve played OK, but I’m expecting more.

6. Revis has been fantastic. It’s been the extremely rare completion where hasn’t been in very tight coverage. I don’t know what anyone else is seeing, but he’s playing up to my high expectations so far

7. Nate Solder is another story. I expect much more than I’m getting from him. No OT is going to win every battle. In the limited time I watched the Jets game, Fergeson was stoning Allen most of the night, but there were 3 or 4 times where they showed Allen beating him for a few hurries and hits. It’s the nature of the game.

8. I thought on one of the sacks, Brady held the ball too long.

9. I’m glad some people are starting to recognize the contributions of Patrick Chung. By the end of the season, he was our best DB in that 2011 superbowl run. There were high expectations for him the next years. Expectations he never reached. Hopefully in this incarnation, and playing with a lot better players, he can elevate his game back to what it was at the end of 2011.

10. I’m a bit surprised I haven’t seen more complaints about the PI call on Logan Ryan, that could have cost the Pats that game (or at least sent it into overtime). I didn’t question the call too much when it first happened. However when they showed the replay, my take was that Ryan had great inside position and it was the receiver who initiated the contact, knocking Ryan down, and not the reverse. Am I nuts, or was it a bad call. I can think of about 3 non-calls made (2 for the Pats and one for the Raiders) that I thought were more worthy of a PI call than THAT one.

11. Speaking of Ryan, he’s taken the next step and has done an excellent job, for the most part. He’s been a very adequate #2 CB thus far. I wish I could say the same for his Rutgers counterpart, Harmon.

12. Nice to see Brady start to spread the ball around in the second half.

13. Danny Amendola can’t catch a break. Open for a TD and Brady misses the throw, then makes a nice gain only to have it called back for the 3rd time this season.

14. Edelman continues to shine on the outside

15. I’m a big Josh McDaniels fan, but I can see how some fans aren’t happy with him and he needs to step it up, like most of the offensive personnel

Tough week coming up in KC. Its not easy to start the season with 3 road games in the first 4 weeks KC is a tough and noisy crowd With KC’s pass rush, it will be a big test for this OL.

The Ryan pass interference was a bad call, but one of those bad calls where you can see why it was called the way it was. As the play happened, I thought it was pretty obvious that Ryan had interfered... it was only on the slow-motion replay that it became obvious what had actually happened. The official got it wrong but I would have flagged Ryan too without the benefit of instant replay.

OK, I watched the game closely. I’ve read most of the game threads, and here’s where I come down on the current situation. Am I concerned about the OL, of course I am. Do I wish the offense was more productive, absolutely! However, am I ready to panic on any of these issues…..not even close.
You will be in a panic when Tom Brady is being carted off the field, I can promise you that. Above all things on this team the protection of Tom Brady should be #1 priority. If you are not even close to panic that on a weekly basis Brady gets the **** kicked out of him you are looking at the picture wrong, I personally do not give a **** if the offense scores 15 points a game for the next 6 weeks as long as we win. I do care that Brady is getting abused weekly. I am conscious of the fact that at 37-years-old he will end up out for the season or worse suffer a career ending injury.
I didn’t post right away because I assumed the self-entitled hand wringers deserved their moment in the sun, and I certainly didn’t want to rain on their parade. It’s not that they don’t have a leg to stand on. 2 sacks aren’t an issue to me, but the SIX QB hits are. So while there ARE things to be concerned about, the LEVEL of anxiety seems way overblown.
The bolded part was more detrimental to your post than beneficial; disparaging others, approach to posting does not add creditability to what you say. As far as the anxiety goes, you are being shortsighted, as I said in above the next hit could be Brady’s last so the team putting him behind that OL is just negligent and far and away the biggest mistake of Bill Belichick’s tenure in New England.
The timing of these complex offenses are such that, I don’t doubt that we will be well into October before we see the kind of consistency we’d all like to see from Brady and company. I am confident that this team is good enough overall to win enough games over the next month or so, that we will be in good position to claim another division crown
Once again, you are looking at it from a production perspective when the real issue is that Brady is getting hit too often and if it continues he will not last the season, and then any chances of winning anything are GONE, forget a division crown, that is a distant memory if Brady is injured.
One of the keys to the Pats success over the past 13 seasons is the fact that there Pats do a better job coaching up their players than most teams. So while the problems DO exist, why would anyone think they will be issues that won’t improve over time. What in the past 13 seasons would make you feel otherwise.
There are things we can take time and be patient as they improve, protecting Tom Brady is not one of them, end of story. Also according to Greg Bedard the Patriots new OL coach is not being well received by the players.

I agree with basically everything else you posted, but I think you should really consider the ramification of Brady being hit so often and not just the lack of production on offense.

5. My other concern is that 2 of my binkies, Collins and Easley, have yet to stand out and have big games and plays. I think they’ve played OK, but I’m expecting more.

13. Danny Amendola can’t catch a break. Open for a TD and Brady misses the throw, then makes a nice gain only to have it called back for the 3rd time this season.

Good write up ken. I only will really comment on these two.

Collins is injured. Give him some time. I think that also was a reason for Nink and Jones being on the field so much. If Collins is 100% healthy it allows hightower to get some time rushing and sub nink/jones out.

Easley is being eased in. I thin kwe all need to keep our expectations low for him the 1st half of the season. I am just amazed he is playing at all. Can't wait for his 1st big play in the backfield.

Amendola is an easy whipping boy. You are right tho if brady doesn't over throw and Lafell and Dobson don't get the PI's Amendola has 100 yards and a TD in the 1st 3 games in an offense that isn't throwing the ball much due to the poor OL play... But he is still no where near where i thought he would be this year coming in healthy.

At some point, consideration needs to be given to moving Vollmer back to LT. Solder has played a few snaps at LG previously flipping with Mankins on the occasional play. Cannon would go to his normal position at RT.

At some point, consideration needs to be given to moving Vollmer back to LT. Solder has played a few snaps at LG previously flipping with Mankins on the occasional play. Cannon would go to his normal position at RT.

Interesting alignment. Has Vollmer been playing that well?

To me, he appears to be playing well (not Pro-Bowl level but good enough). Hugely better than Solder.

That is an interesting proposal . It also makes some plausible sense.

Congratulations. You have suggested a potentially fruitful answer to LG and RT.
But what to do at Center? Just say "Damn the torpedoes, Full speed with Stork?"

Then we can address RG with either Connolly or Flemming.

In regard to 1-3+7:
The o line is ugly. They were stretching the field in camp because of the red jerseys. The quarterbacks don't get to wear those anymore (well Tom doesn't, tannehill apparently benefits from one though, just ask Hightower and Chandler about the checks they had to write to the league).

Chung has made a few plays, he has also missed a few.

As far as Brady spreading the ball in the second half, it seemed like the first couple passes were scripted. Brady quickly reverted to the Edelman show when tossing the rock.

My biggest takeaways were, a) devey is brutal and the oline was ugly, again. B) McDaniels is a damn fool and Bolden needs to stay the hell off the field for offensive snaps the exact same way Slater does. Both are useless (okay, a like warm body at best) outside of ST.

McDaniels is a Damn fool. I'm being nice here. Oline is having issues...let's make them get on their heels for the first three plays against a putrid run defense...vereen up the middle, Ridley outside...double play action screen on first and twenty...

If I show up to Gillette and fail a drug test for methamphetamines and lsd can I call the plays at Arrowhead Monday? Hell, I could bbq up team meal and call better plays for better personnel...

On that final note, is googs/gooch/grundle (oline coach) the issue, or is it McDaniel's utter lack of a clue how to utilize the talent he has given the oline shortcomings?

I think the bit about the running backs being more successful when they attack the line of scrimmage is a bit of a truism. Ridley has consistently attacked the line when there is the barest seam through which he can squeeze out a couple of yards and that has often resulted in him getting to the second level and getting a pile of 5-10 yard runs , when there is an adequate hole for a moment. Given that history, I think the only logical assumption is that when he doesn't attack the line, it is because there is a mass of humanity in his way and nowhere to run, thus resulting in unsuccessful plays.

Interesting notion, but I wonder whether Vollmer's injury to his left leg makes him less desirable out on that side. In the first game back, he certainly looked weaker blocking to his left, but that might have just been him working the rust/scar tissue out of the injured ankle, so maybe he would work there. Unfortunately, Solder's problem has reportedly been his pad level, which can be even more critical at guard. That does seem like something he can fix, so perhaps he'll get his act together wherever they play him.

But the whole point is that the mechanics shouldn't require conscious thought ...

I think you've provided the answer to your own false dichotomy. He doesn't think about his mechanics, and thus they are not likely to affect his decision-making. It's far more likely that his mind is distracted by the bodies flying about him and likelihood that one of them will crush him before he can make his next read and get rid of the ball.

1 - I agree that the quick hitters work better for the running game. The Pats seem to want to try and fool the other team more than they want to run over them.

2,3 & 12 - Brady isn't seeing the field as well as he used to. He is clearly declining. I blame Giselle. ;)

4 thru 9 - Ditto

10 - I could spend hours talking about the officiating in the NFL right now. It's atrocious. The inconsistency and game changing calls are affecting my enjoyment of all games, not just the Pats. I actually turned off the Ravens/Steelers game last week after a call and never went back.

If his OL protection continues to regress, his mechanics won't have to worry about being conscious thought. ;)

You continue to remind us how new a fan of the patriots you are.

So, starting Devey for three games is just negligent and the worst mistake ever made by Belichick?

It is not unusual that I do not understand your hyperbolic analysis.

The result of the worst mistake ever is that we are 2-1 and an odds on favorite to be in the playoffs.

The result of the worst mistake ever is that the OL is the major weakness of the team, and there are several solutions.

If Stork and Wendell weren't injured in the preseason, the worst ever mistake may not even have happened. We might have started the season with Solder-Connolly-Stork-Cannon-Vollmer.

So, no, this is not the worst mistake that belichick has ever made.

as I said in above the next hit could be Brady’s last so the team putting him behind that OL is just negligent and far and away the biggest mistake of Bill Belichick’s tenure in New England.

You will be in a panic when Tom Brady is being carted off the field, I can promise you that. Above all things on this team the protection of Tom Brady should be #1 priority. If you are not even close to panic that on a weekly basis Brady gets the **** kicked out of him you are looking at the picture wrong, I personally do not give a **** if the offense scores 15 points a game for the next 6 weeks as long as we win. I do care that Brady is getting abused weekly. I am conscious of the fact that at 37-years-old he will end up out for the season or worse suffer a career ending injury.

Please. You can have an excellent OL and the greatest LG in his PRIME and STILL lose Brady to injury:

Please. You can have an excellent OL and the greatest LG in his PRIME and STILL lose Brady to injury:

You can also die in a car accident any time you drive a car, but the chances of it happening a lot higher when you are going 100mph.

So... you want the offense to feature longer developing routes by WR's to keep the defense honest. Who, pray tell, is going to hold their blocks long enough to allow Brady enough time to let these routes develop? And Revis has not been fantastic to this point. He's been solid, but you don't pay what you're paying him for "solid". I don't put the onus all on him, though. For whatever reason, the team features him in a lot of off man looks. Seems like a waste for a guy as strong and as fast as Revis.

You continue to remind us how new a fan of the patriots you are.

I am a new fan of the Patriots? Do we know each other personally, because I do not even think you know my real first name, that is just a dumb thing to even suggest, especially considering I would say with confidence that I know more about football than you and most people on this board.

So, starting Devey for three games is just negligent and the worst mistake ever made by Belichick?

Trading Mankins 2 weeks before the start of the season, moving a career RT to LG, and inserting a 26 year old UDFA into the starting lineup at RG, yes that is negligent and a major mistake. If you do not agree, I suggest you watch the first 3 games of the season again and this time pay attention to the OL play.

It is not unusual that I do not understand your hyperbolic analysis.

And yet you continue to quote my posts with some passive aggressive insult to start them off.

The result of the worst mistake ever is that we are 2-1 and an odds on favorite to be in the playoffs.

Wow, the Patriots have a 2-1 record against 3 teams that combined for a 17-30 record last season. Well in that case every decision was the right one. The biggest fail on this board is when people throw around the Patriots record as if it is an excuse for everything. The Patriots have had arguably the best QB in history for over decade; look at the records of other HOF QBs how often did they have losing seasons?

The result of the worst mistake ever is that the OL is the major weakness of the team, and there are several solutions.

Are there? What are they MG, inserting Bryan Stork is going to fix everything, yeah, OK.

If Stork and Wendell weren't injured in the preseason, the worst ever mistake may not even have happened. We might have started the season with Solder-Connolly-Stork-Cannon-Vollmer.

Wendell was not injured in the preseason #1. Stork showed well against the Raiders on the final 12 snaps of the game and you have him as a starter if not for an injury, sure thing. Connolly struggles at RG but you are moving him to LG that makes a lot of sense.

So, no, this is not the worst mistake that belichick has ever made.

Yeah I disagree, and nothing you said here did much to change my view.

It's interesting that this is the worst OL ever when previous lines have featured a slew of undrafted free agents (Hochstein, Gorin, Ashworth, Neal, Yates, Connolly, Wendell), later round picks (Koppen), and so on. I tend to think that the loss of Mankins matters (but not a lot), and that the vast majority of the issues are with Solder and stabilizing the right guard spot, which could happen if Stork is a good enough center. I just don't know how you fix Solder though. It may be that Vollmer will have to play LT and Cannon will move out to RT with Connolly, Stork, and Wendell as your interior linemen. I'm not sure that's any better though.

While I don't think he would have made a huge difference, trading away Mankins so late in the game was clearly a mistake. They could have moved him at the draft or prior to training camp, probably received a similar return, and have been able to look for external replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes