Welcome to PatsFans.com

Idea for Fixing our Economy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I have a fix, or at least a GIANT band-aid.

Why not stop all NON-essentail military spending for 1 year? Instead of living on our children's credit line ... we do what the President is proposing that Wall Street CEOs do. Take a cut.

Total requested Security/DoD/WoT spending is $738 billion, or 63% of total Discretionary spending. (Source: OMB,Mid-Session Review , Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2009 Table S-2.)

Mexico and Canada are not poised at our borders for invasion....Our soldiers are the best in the world. Bring them home to defend OUR borders, halt production of Bombers and tanks...we have plenty. Use that $$ to stimulate the economy.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

First question: how many people will that put out of work?

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its only for a year...

I'd be willing to bet the rainy day fund at Lockeed is big.

well, its fukin pouring outside....

4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +288 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

China would invade both Taiwan and Japan within minutes of the US leaving (I'm sure that you do not know this, but Japan is forbidden by treaty to have a standing army).

North Korea would attack within hours.

Iran would take over both Iraq and Afghanistan.

And that would be the first week. You really can't be serious about this.

I say, send Congress home for a year, they are the problem, close down Congress, eliminate the Dept. of Education (it should be run on a local level), Commerce, Energy (excpet the NRC), that shoudl due for a start.

5. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You forgot to include Russia taking over 12 eastern blocking countries in an hour. Plus a couple countries in Europe like Germany and Poland The old USSR would be reformed in a matter of weeks.

HolyDiver, put down the bong pipe and step into reality for a couple of minutes.

6. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Who the *** CARES!!!!!????

I'm sick of us taking care of every other nation. we need to defend our own borders and get our home tight before we police the world. We are BROKE!

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Stupid idea. If we need something we need it, we can't just put it on hold. Now, if there's a bunch of stuff we really shouldn't be paying for - great - cancel it. Although you'll lose a lot of jobs too. But you can't take something we need, wait a year, then continue on and hope the employees and suppliers just waited around for you.

8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

how about the government actually cutting mortgage rates to 3%(I know some will be up in arms). i love how the fed cuts rates but it's really for our savings rates.

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Need?

how is it that EVERY NATION put together spends less on defense than we do? They somehow manage to survive, while a lot of them share borders with enemies.

The US military industrial complex is 63% of our budget.

I'm saying....do we really NEED another aircraft carrier?

do we really NEED another F-16 fighter, or bomber?

no.

we have at least twice as many as everyone else.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I'm not arguing what we do or don't need. Although I work in the DoD industry I don't know how many of this or that we need. I'm just saying that putting stuff "on hold" isn't a good idea. If you need it keep going. If you don't cancel it.

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think we agree...

cut the fat!

and the first place we need to start is the fattiest part....defense spending.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

-Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the Nation
    January 17, 1961

12. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Agreed. Lets round up and deport ALL illegal aliens in this country immediately.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

The fattiest part is not means testing social security. At least defense spending provides jobs - not that we should be considering it welfare but it does do that; how about people (like my parents) who get $1K a month or so in social security and just stick it in the bank because they don't need it. Means test social security and cut the payroll tax - now THAT is stimulative.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

social security is, by definition, a Ponzi scheme....

Defense companies also create DEATH and massive casualties. But Jobs as well.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I agree with that 100%....

we should employ americans first. If and when every american is employed, we can import labor. Until that day.....GO HOME ILLEGALS!!!!

16. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its funny how 'up in a bunch' peeps get if we even TALK about cutting military spending, but these same people seem to be the first to want to cut Education and Healthcare.

seems like our priorities are messed up.

17. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It would end our blood thirsty empire and return us back to being just another country... a ton of people here can't stand the thought of that.

18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The thing is, when you study how our economy works, it depends on exploiting a bottom labor class. Illegals are actually doing work for almost nothing, allowing American owners to improve their margins.

Deporting all illegals, and also adding more protectionism as well, is going to torpedo this economy even faster than it is already going

19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I still think corporate America has the biggest population of crooks with politicians a close second.

20. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes, they " improve their margins" by not paying taxes or medical insurance. They need to see a doctor they dial 911 and get an ambulance (they'd have to pay for a taxi) to take them to the ER. And we pay for it all. So Illegals can afford to work for less than law abiding Americans and American companies. And the "they're only doing the jobs Americans won't" line is a myth. When they started rounding up the illegals around here a few years ago there were lines of Americans wanting their jobs the next day. The thing is, when you study how our economy works we pay more to support illegal's medical bills and court costs than we get back in "cheap labor".