PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'd like to see the Pats sign a LB this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect the next signing will be Aiken's teamate, Jason Webster.

For a few years, Jason was a serviceable cornerback but has been

injured in recent years. Jason will come cheap so the Pats will

have very little risk. Randall Gay finally stayed healthy for one year.

Bingo! Did you predict that, or did you type that after reading the news? :)

Chaun Thompson's
Career Stats

Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2003 CLE 16 11 10 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
2004 CLE 16 65 44 21 3 2.5 0 0 0 0 0
2005 CLE 16 84 63 21 3 5.0 2 0 0 0 0
2006 CLE 16 32 24 8 0 2.0 0 0 0 0 0
2007 CLE 16 21 15 6 1 1.0 0 0 0 0 0
Career 80 213 156 57 7 10.5 2 0 0 0 0

Return Stats
YEAR TEAM G PR YDS TD FC LNG KR YDS TD FC LNG
2003 CLE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2005 CLE 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
Career 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Scoring Stats
YEAR TEAM G RushTD RecTD RetTD TotTD 2PT PAT FG TotPT
2006 CLE 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2007 CLE 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Career 32 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

The Browns were high on him a few years ago and since an injury 2 years back hasn't been consistent enough. His flaws in shedding blockers also would be magnified with no really good D-Lineman to take the pressure off and allow him to run. He is what I would call a Low Risk- High Reward signing that wouldn't cost the team much.

Here's the scouting report from scouts inc.

Full Name: Chaun Thompson
Born: May 22, 1980
Mount Pleasant, TX
Height: 6-2
Weight: 255 lbs. Age: 27
Pos: LB
Experience: 5 years
College: West Texas A&M
Drafted: Year:2003 Round:2 Pick:20, Browns FANTASY
Percent Owned: (Week +/-):
NFL: 0.0% (0.0%)
Avg. Draft Position:
NFL: Undrafted

TACK 21.0 | FF 0 | INT 0
Profile Stats Splits Game Log News Scouting

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 57 | Key
Alert: TM

Comment: Thompson has good size, speed and in-line explosiveness. He is somewhat versatile. He has played outside linebacker and now aligns inside. He is a playmaker who has untapped ability. He is a high-effort defender who can pursue and chase down plays from the back side in the run game. He can make quick reads and disrupt plays before they gain any momentum. He has enough functional strength to set the edge on the outside. He can bend the edge and close with a burst to the quarterback. He is a valuable kickoff cover guy who can blow up a ball carrier. But Thompson has a lot of holes in his game. He isn't a very good take-on player. He prefers to slip blocks and isn't very explosive or technically sound in stack-and-shed mode. He lacks fluidity and struggles to flip his hips in space. He makes occasional jaw-dropping plays, but not consistently. He doesn't pick things up quickly.

I like the part about him being a playmaker, but the part about "doesn't pick things up quickly" would likely spell doom for a BB LB.

Ughhh...I hope not, I think Woods has some potential but i've never been a fan of EA. He gets destroyed in coverage all the time...See the AFC Championship two seasons ago...I'm convinced he's nothing more than a special teamer.

I wouldn't base your analysis of Alexander based on his ability to cover Dallas Clark against the Colts in the AFCCG, I have seen alot of better LB's look silly trying to do the same.

The fact is we don't have much of a body of work to judge both Woods and Pierre on. I think they go into camp whith a chance to win the job along with a handful of others.

I wouldn't base your analysis of Alexander based on his ability to cover Dallas Clark against the Colts in the AFCCG, I have seen alot of better LB's look silly trying to do the same.

The fact is we don't have much of a body of work to judge both Woods and Pierre on. I think they go into camp whith a chance to win the job along with a handful of others.
Amen...there are always a FEW different solutions..from players with the team to FAs to draftees to UDFAs...

That might be true, but it's been proven that he can't do it. Much like it's been proven that Hobbs has no chance in hell of covering Buress 1 on 1.

The teams we'll have to beat next year include the Colts, and the Giants now imo. When building your team, you should target your weaknesses. Alexander may be fine as a spare linebacker/STer, but he should not be the guy we are putting out there in playoff games.

I like the part about him being a playmaker, but the part about "doesn't pick things up quickly" would likely spell doom for a BB LB.

I agree about that statement, that's why I said low risk- high reward. Also, think about this angle. He's been in the scheme for 3 season's and he will have some of the best field generals to learn under what he may not understand. Players like Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel and to a lesser extent Thomas. Where in Cleveland he had rookies and Andre Davis in the middle who were all trying to learn themselves. With the exception of Willie who was brought in for OLB and they moved Thompson to ILB at the time of drafting Wimbley. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back