PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'd like to see Mike Periera explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting pretty bad. That was just a botched call. Even the tv announcers remarked on how Moss did nothing. On the replay you could see that Moss did nothing to warrant a PI call. The refs need to use their EYES. This is why PI should be a challengeable call!!

This is why PI should be a challengeable call!!

I agree that refs should be given the opportunity to take a second look at certain plays to see whether a foul really occured or not. The interaction between defender and reciever occurs over a split second and both guys are essentially sprinting. It's fair to see how a ref can misinterpret the action when it happens so quickly. Yet, for these penalties which probably affect the score of games more directly than any other type of penalty, why is there no review to get the call right? Points off the board, 40-50 yard penalties, 1st and goal on the 1... all of these things are huge game changers and the guys in black and white shouldn't be able to make a bogus call that can cause a large swing on the scoreboard.

Yeah, I don't think ALL penalties should be reviewable, but PI can be such a huge play it's crazy that it's not reviewable.

Wasn't this the same weak ***ed officiating crew that screwed us in the Colt game too??

I don't think it is so much the "extension" than it is "creating an advantage". I think if the ref feels like the contact gave the player an unfair advantage, then he's gonna get flagged.
Once again you don't have a clue what you are talking about. There was no "extension" or "push off". Listen to the announcers for a change instead of posting your nonsense.

Wasn't this the same weak ***ed officiating crew that screwed us in the Colt game too??

This was Gene Steratore last night. Colts game was John Parry and his crew.

Once again you don't have a clue what you are talking about. There was no "extension" or "push off". Listen to the announcers for a change instead of posting your nonsense.
If you are gonna call him for PI for basically non-contact, then the DB could have been charged for impeding his path to the ball after 5 yards. The rule states you cannot step up and block a WR on his route after 5 yards. That bogus call let the Eagles stay in the game. Give them credit. They played well but did get help.
Hey Ban Me, bet that wouldn't have been offensive PI on Harrison or Wayne? Polian would have had Mike P. in his office this morning if it was.
Another one of "the great plays against Moss" that the Eagles DBs made was undressing him with a major hold on one route. Madden and his side kick said nada. He had a "wardrobe malfunction" I guess. His jersey was around his head. There was not one hold on Randy all night? Are you kidding me?
DW Toys

That was a nice hold on Welker down the sideline when Stall slipped through. How do you guys get away with so much?

EDIT:

Bunch of Friggin' whiners you all are. I bet if it weren't for that play, you'd a scored 60, eh??

Last edited:
That was a nice hold on Welker down the sideline when Stall slipped through. How do you guys get away with so much?

EDIT:

Bunch of Friggin' whiners you all are. I bet if it weren't for that play, you'd a scored 60, eh??

Get lost. Do you not have a Colt board that you can go *********** on? or, are you such a freaking idiot that they banned you from all of them?

Tight coverage, ball on it's way, RM uses hands to create separation. TD. Easy call. If he keeps his hands to himself, he won't get in twrouble.

Just like a guy dring into the lane, lowering his shoulder into the defenders torso, creates contact, then separation. He got caught, not big deal.

Except Moss didn't use his hands to create separation. You'd know that if you had actually watched the game.

BTW, Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison REGULARLY do the same thing that Moss did and don't get flagged for it.

Its a big deal when it didn't happen.

I think what was annoying about this call last night was the fact that all game the Eagles' secondary was allowed to be physical with our receivers - which is as it should be; Polian's whinging has made it much too easy for receivers in my humble opinion - yet the call on Moss, even if there was contact, which is arguable, was totally inconsistent with how they called the rest of the game. Also, there was one camera angle which suggested that the back judge was reaching for the flag before there was even any suggestion of contact.

I don't think it is so much the "extension" than it is "creating an advantage". I think if the ref feels like the contact gave the player an unfair advantage, then he's gonna get flagged.

Moss was back-pedaling. How do you get enough leverage to push someone while back-pedaling?

If you are going to call it that close, call it consistently. Why doesn't Moss get called for it all the time and not just on sideline TD routes? Why didn't the Eagles TE get called for it last night? Why doesn't TO get called for it?

The answer is that Moss has a reputation for pushing off on that specific route. The refs are making calls on what they are expecting to see...not on what they actually ARE seeing.

Speaking of gaining an advantage...did the Eagles' DB gain an advantage by holding Moss' jersey to the point where it was pulled off of his shoulder pads? I don't think anyone wants to see a penalty on every play. Just be consistent so that teams can adjust and compete on a level playing field.
I think the thing is, if you had a camera focused on every receiver on every play (regardless of teams) you are going to see all kinds of contact, and "questionable" situations. Who doesn't agree that holding could be called on many more plays per game than currently? Yet you all want to isolate it when it happens to your team. Look at the Rams SB, and the '03 AFCCG, contact galore, and no calls. Some have suggested that BB was smart, that he knows it won't be called every time, and he takes his chances. Maybe the same is happening now, just rolling the dice, and hoping that the refs will "let players play". Unfortunately, consistency is just not a very realistic term when speaking of NFL and officiating.

the Non-Review of the TD at the end of first half. That play SHOULD have been reviewed. That is a BLATANT miss. What you guys say for that? May be it won't be reversed, but not reviewing it is a huge error in favor of Pats.

The reason I bring that up is REFS are human. They are going to miss some calls. Mostly they do their job well. Don't go in to this & that.

There were many HOLDING calls they could have called on Matt Light too! They only called one. These things happen. Philly played out of their mind yesterday, still Pats ekked out a win. That is all that matters. Cherish that and don't look the gift horse in the mouth. :D

both players had their hands on each other...either thats called PI on both, or none...not just Randy...thats just stupid

no separtation at all btw...the defender didnt move

the Non-Review of the TD at the end of first half. That play SHOULD have been reviewed. That is a BLATANT miss. What you guys say for that? May be it won't be reversed, but not reviewing it is a huge error in favor of Pats.

The reason I bring that up is REFS are human. They are going to miss some calls. Mostly they do their job well. Don't go in to this & that.

There were many HOLDING calls they could have called on Matt Light too! They only called one. These things happen. Philly played out of their mind yesterday, still Pats ekked out a win. That is all that matters. Cherish that and don't look the gift horse in the mouth. :D

Sure it should have been reviewed, but the TD still would have counted since both of his feet were already in bounds. The knee became irrelevant at that point.

As for the PI on Moss, that call was bogus, and you know it.

Honestly, where is Moss supposed to put his arms? He's 6'4 with a huge wingspan. Those arms gotta go somewhere. Is he supposed to keep them in his pockets as he waits for the pass? As long as he doesn't extend, it's not PI, and he didn't, and he hasn't in any of the other calls on him this season.

Sure it should have been reviewed, but the TD still would have counted since both of his feet were already in bounds. The knee became irrelevant at that point.

As for the PI on Moss, that call was bogus, and you know it.

If you want to listen, I will tell you why it happened. Refs like teams go over the tapes of the teams to look for tendencies especially WR pushing off & Holdings like that. Moss has pushed off a half a dozen times in earlier games. So the refs were looking for that. In that play the DB stumbled and Moss had very little to do with that and the back judge was partially blocked. So with the history of the tapes and DB stumbling, he thought Moss had pushed off where as he didn't on that play. So a bad call. This happens all the times with the tendencies. That is why you can escape with a hold or pushoff in a game but the refs get back at you at later time :D

It is immaterial if the TD was good or not, they SHOULD have reviewed it. When coaches cann't challange it is upto the booth to do it. There is no excuse there. About both feet indown or not we would have only known how it would have been called only if they stopped and reviewed it. It could have gone either way. Pats are 11-0, so enjoy the win. All is part & parcel of the game.

What exactly was the gift? We outplayed Philly and won. There was no blown call that went in the Patriots favor unless your referring to the play that was not reviewed, which I do not believe would have been overturned. After watching all the replays, are you saying it would have been overturned? What gift horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes