PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'd like to say sorry to Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've been very hard on this guy and anytime a Patriots game is on I am always calling him "garbage" when the guy seems to always get a yard or two. The thing is, I don't think Blount is to blame (though he looked good against Miami), our O-Line has just not been helping him enough.

I'm sorry Blount.

What's you opinion on the guy? I've noticed people either love or hate the guy and am curious what you guys think?

Blount is the biggest "outside runner" in the NFL. He's usually inconsistent at best inside, and crap at short yardage. Put him in space with a chance to hit the second level and jump over/run over/make them miss and he'll have a fantastic YPC stat.

He's a 255lb dancer, and that doesn't work inside, tho he can dominate late game with any run style, really.

I guess I just think he's super situational and being used as a 25-30 carry per game RB here.

He can definitely be a big play back, but he needs all of the supporting cast, he's magic when the stars line up 5-7 times a season.

Blount is the biggest "outside runner" in the NFL. He's usually inconsistent at best inside, and crap at short yardage. Put him in space with a chance to hit the second level and jump over/run over/make them miss and he'll have a fantastic YPC stat.

He's a 255lb dancer, and that doesn't work inside, tho he can dominate late game with any run style, really.

I guess I just think he's super situational and being used as a 25-30 carry per game RB here.

He may be a situational guy, I agree. But the "inconsistency inside" thing is something that has taken on a life of it's own, and people make way more of it than they should. I've seen people claiming he should convert every time, in which case every running back in history is a failure.

First, people forget that when Blount is in the game, it's a different defense. He's not a pass catching threat, so he's usually against a run stopping defensive package. He also doesn't play many 3rd down snaps (29 in 3 years with the Patriots), so it's usually 3rd and short which usually means run stop/goal line defenses.

He did have some issues in short yardage with Tampa early on, but while with the Patriots, he's converted at least half of his 3rd/4th and short situations each season, 56% overall. That's below a HOFer like Peterson at 71%, but comparable to Lynch (58%).

And the outside runs, there aren't many. Here are the play direction splits from 2015:

RIGHT SIDE 53 rushes, 234 yards, 4.4 YPC
LEFT SIDE 50 rushes, 157 yards, 3.1 YPC
MIDDLE 50 rushes, 212 yards, 4.2 YPC
LEFT SIDELINE 8 rushes, 52 yards, 6.5 YPC
RIGHT SIDELINE 4 rushes, 48 yards, 48 YPC

Yes, he had good success in his 12 rushes along the sideline. But it wasn't all he did last season. In fact, he put up pretty good numbers in the middle and right side rushes. But you could see a definite difference in runs to the left. In 2013 and 2014, he averaged over 6 YPC running to the left side, so you have to figure the Solder injury last season factors into that a bit.

Last edited:

The vast majority of Blount's carries are designed as off-tackle hand-offs or straight dive plays. The instances where you see him being an "outside runner" are when he takes advantage of a good hole and cuts to the outside. You almost never see him take a wide pitch or hand-off designed to go outside -- he's not fast enough, it takes him a few yards to pick up a head of steam.

I think he looks thinner and more athletic this year.

BB can say all he wants that he has room to run now but there is no question he is quicker an faster. It seems that has lost some weight. Maybe he also did some agility training in the offseason as well?

The most frustrating pattern I'm seeing this season is once it's first down then it's jumbo formation time with Blount. Everyone on the planet then knows it's a run play up the middle so it gets stuffed for a 0-2 yard run. I'd kill to see a play action pass in that situation for once.

I agree with @TommyBrady12 and would add that Bennett has been a blocking beast. Can't wait to see what the addition of Gronk will do.

Glad to see Blount having a good year. I've always liked the guy but was unjustly frustrated with his running style.

So yeah an apology is warranted.

On a side note: Brady must feel like Charlie in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I'll bet he's anxiously roaming around the house singing "I've got a golden ticket". .

I somewhat disagree, I don't think our O line is any good at opening inside running lanes. They are great at stretch play blocking. But Blount when running inside often has no good holes to hit. The fact that he makes as many yards as he does on the inside shows that he's definitely an above average RB.

I love Blount. He is SO EXCITING when he breaks one out in space!

This year he appears to be a little faster and has been working on his receiving skills. Won't surprise me to see a few screens and/or wheel routes with him.

Great second half on Sunday!

I think he looks thinner and more athletic this year.

He's an interesting runner. His style is crazy, he runs with his feet close together with almost his whole body at an angle that make you think he's going to just fall over. I never understand how he has any cut leverage or is so hard to take down in the 2nd level.

I'd like to apologize to Danny Amendola too, I thought he was not going to play this season given his surgeries and not participating on training camp, so far the guy has been making plays that helped us to win. So clutch.

there is no reason to be negative

few truly believed we would be 2-0 at this time.......but we are 2-0 at this time.......sure it looks rough at times out there, but everyone is contributing and experience is being gained while stars heal or are stuffed under a rock.

Two-thumbs-up__44.jpg

I am going hold off on my sorry until after the Texans game.:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back