Welcome to PatsFans.com

ICE chiefs slammed with "no confidence" vote from agents

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

I heard this being discussed on the radio while I was driving today, so I googled it when I got back to the office. The discussion mentioned how ICE's hierarchy, isn't allowing ICE agents to arrest illegals in public places, or some crap, unless they've committed a crime. Something about the agents not being able to arrest, or apprehend in public, solely because the person in question is in the country illegally. I found that absolutely bizarre, if true. I say if true, because you can't always believe people verbatum, and I haven't researched the point at all to verify. This part is verifiable it seems, as the no confidence vote looks to have been unanimous.

August 5, 4:05 PM
    Law Enforcement Examiner
    Jim Kouri

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents overwhelmingly say that their department's leadership has become politicized to the point of affecting the effectiveness of ICE.

ICE agents through their union claim their leaders have little regard for the safety of American people. Their union has released a letter announcing its recent unanimous “vote of no confidence” in ICE agency heads, accusing them of “misleading the American public” regarding illegal immigration in order to further a pro-amnesty agenda.

The National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council and its affiliated local councils cast a unanimous 259-0 vote of no confidence in ICE Director John Morton and Assistant Director Phyllis Coven, according to Fox News Channel's Martha MacCallum.

2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Their first action in this country was a crime!!!!!!

This is one of those topics that I can’t quite wrap my head around, because for the life of me I can’t understand how there is a good portion of the population that defend them (them being illegal immigrants). Yes I realize that we are a country of immigrants, the great melting pot if you will. Most of our ancestors came through the legal entry points (be it Ellis Island in NY or even Angel Island in SF). And yes I realize there are business people who utilize the undocumented workforce to make more money, and they should be held accountable for that too, and in many cases I would say held “more accountable", in terms of extremely steep fines. However these people, and I don’t care if they are black, white, yellow, green, or polka dotted (so save me the racist rant), these people’s first action in this country was to break our laws, yet the agency tasked with enforcing immigration law and violations can’t do it?

I understand that it isn’t the easiest thing to walk down the street to Quincy Market and say “that guy/girl there is an illegal immigrant”, and arrest them. I’m not in law enforcement, so I don’t know how you would go about ID’ing someone as an illegal.

I recognize there are parts of this world that have crappy circumstances for their citizens, which dream of a better life here. I get that. My ancestors left Poland/Ireland/Germany probably for those very reasons too. But there is a way to do it, and then a way to not do it. I don’t care if you don’t want to wait 5-10 years for citizenship, those are the rules, so play by them or get the f out.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

The loony do-gooders don't want to hear that one.
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That's fine Harry. If that is something they disagree with me on cool, but I expect all people to back up an opinion with fact, not emotion. Sure poverty in country X is an extremely sad thing, poverty anywhere is a sad thing. I’ve seen kids on the streets of Jakarta whose own moms crippled them because a handicapped beggar makes more money than one that isn’t handicapped. The fact is, this article talked about a vote of no confidence in ICE leadership over illegal immigration. If a poster ("looney" or "right wingbat") can provided me one logical reason why illegal’s shouldn’t be rounded up and removed, then I will tip my hat and move along. To me this isn’t a "gray area" discussion, rather it is pretty cut and dry. You come to this country illegally, and use our resources, good bye. I have the same attitude towards people who do other illegal things, like stealing, killing, raping etc. etc.

I will note that there are some "crimes" in this country which are a little over the top, however the crime of illegal immigration isnt one of them.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

I always find it interesting that the right will rail incessantly about unions, until it fits their agenda.. then Poof the Magic Dragon appears and Unions become credible..

The second part of this is if you google National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council nothing comes up except an article in the Washington Examiner.. it does not link to a union..

Having been involved in a Unions for a long time, and having partaken in no confidence votes.. they tend to be a tad emotional, and a whole lot partisan..

Not doubting the veracity, as if you understand how unions work, can easily understand unanimous votes of no confidence happen.. they also tend to be very inneffective.