Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ice bridge ruptures in Antarctic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Ice bridge ruptures in Antarctic

An ice bridge linking a shelf of ice the size of Jamaica to two islands in Antarctica has snapped.

Scientists say the collapse could mean the Wilkins Ice Shelf is on the brink of breaking away, and provides further evidence of rapid change in the region.

Sited on the western side of the Antarctic Peninsula, the Wilkins shelf has been retreating since the 1990s.

Researchers regarded the ice bridge as an important barrier, holding the remnant shelf structure in place.

since the 1990s! you conservatives can BLAME CLINTON!....all-aboard!

Global climate change dissers, please just keep watching the local weather and american idol.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not sure if we have the technology to prevent dramatic climate change; perhaps we should start dumping massive money into developing space shuttles and living in space or starting new colonies.

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Big deal. I never use that bridge, anyway.

Pffft.

//

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Whodathuk My house in Wistah would end up being oceanfront! 600 ft above sea level, baby!

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 2 / -9

Snow Is Melting In Maine

God Save Us

God Damn Haliburton

Put Windmills On Cape Cod The Hell With The Kerry's & Kennedy's

Deport Aunt Zucchini

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just read an article in the Globe about how many nations are agreeing to limit tourism to Antarctica. Believe it or not tourism to that desolate place is way up over the past 20 years or so. Ostensibly the limitations are to protect the pristine ecosystem. I have a feeling its more about the fact that nobody expects it to be there much longer.

7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Do you know anyone who doesn't think the climate changes? I think anyone who is not brain dead is aware that the climate is always changing.

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh...I know plenty of people. I get e-mails from them and calls when it snows in Maine the calls tend to starts with "Al Gore was wrong.....etc"

I, for one, believe in human assisted acceleration in this specific warming period. I am also fully aware that the Earth's precession cycle is a large factor in climate change. The Polar caps were not always the poles in the long history of ouor planet, but at this specific time, they serve as our 2nd greatest deflector of the sun's energy (The magnetic field being #1). When the ice turns to water....its bad.

9. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Of course the climate is changing, it always does. The myth is global warming(conveniently changed to "climate change" in the last few years) caused by man:

Analytical Chemist Michael J. Myers, who specializes in spectroscopy and
    atmospheric sensing,
    declared his skepticism in 2008. “I am troubled by the lack of
    common sense regarding carbon dioxide emissions. Our greatest greenhouse gas is water.
    Atmospheric spectroscopy reveals why water has a 95 percent and CO2 a 3.6 percent
    contribution to the ‘greenhouse effect.’ Carbon dioxide emissions worldwide each year
    total 3.2 billion tons. That equals about 0.0168 percent of the atmosphere's CO2
    concentration of about 19 trillion tons. This results in a 0.00064 percent increase in the
    absorption of the sun's radiation. This is an insignificantly small number. The yearly
    increase is many orders of magnitude smaller than the standard deviation errors for CO2
    concentration measurement,” Myers wrote in a September 25, 2008, essay titled “Numbers
    Don’t Add Up for Global Warming.” “‘Scientific’ computer simulations predict global
    warming based on increased greenhouse gas emissions over time. However, without
    water's contribution taken into account they omit the largest greenhouse gas from their
    equations. How can such egregious calculation errors be so blatantly ignored? This is why
    man-made global warming is ‘junk’ science,” Myers added.

Climatologist Dr. Richard Keen, who is a lecturer in the Department of Atmospheric
    and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Colorado, a member of the American
    Meteorological Society, and has worked with the National Center for Atmospheric
    Research
    , dissented in 2008. Keen specializes in volcanic aerosols and climate change
    studies and wrote the book Skywatch: The Western Weather Guide. Keen’s 2008 global
    warming PowerPoint asking “Inconvenient Questions” was featured on October 14, 2008,
    on former Colorado State climatologist Dr. Roger Pielke’s Sr. website. According
    to Keen, global warming ranges between a “minor inconvenience that’s overblown” or
    “nothing – it doesn’t exist” or “a good thing.” “Earth has cooled since 1998,” Keen noted,
    “in defiance of the predictions by the UN-IPCC.” According to Keen, “The global
    temperature for 2007 was the coldest in a decade and the coldest of the millennium.” After
    noting the recent cooling temps, Keen wrote “which is why ‘global warming’ is now called
    ‘climate change.’” Keen also pointed out that the most Antarctic sea ice on record was
    recorded in 2007 and then he rhetorically asked: “Did you see [that fact] reported in the
    news?” “U.S. carbon emission growth rate has slowed to 0.2 % per year since 2000,” Keen
    wrote. Keen concludes his PowerPoint by stating: “Enjoy the warm climate while it lasts,
    and please make enough CO2 to feed a tree.”

As always, please read http://epw.senate.gov/public/index....d-6e2d71db52d9&CFID=10177955&CFTOKEN=90482762 before you come to refute the above quotes.

10. lostjumper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I know....policticians will be politicians...

Also, we saw what happens when Oil men become President and Vice President....

The main thing, with me, in all of this Al Gore hoopla was...the fact that he was in College when his professor showed him the CO2 chart and its relation to global temperatures. Most people watch "An Inconvenient Truth" see that chart and say...

"Holy Crap! these charts seem to be suggesting climate change"

I saw this part of the film and said:

"Holy Crap! Al Gore was paying attention in College! Why did we elect a moronic cheeleader?"

seriously.

so.....

One man goes on to attempt a global dialog and national effort to curb the proposed damage to the planet. Wins a Nobel Prize along the way.

The other was elected president and squashed almost all science that backs up climatre change, broke tons of environmental laws and started two wars....

If Bush spends his spare time trying to fix a global problem, and wins a Nobel Prize...I will give it up to the man. I suspect he will remain a complete azzhole though.

Lets see.

12. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Don't understand how this could be pinned on Clinton. He always championed the Kyoto (?) Treaty; it was Bush who refused to continue when he became Prez.

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I was giving pre-emptive fodder for fools

14. godef

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This isn't a factor because the Earth is always tilted the same 23 degrees, just in different directions. SO in fact, the poles continue to get the same solar exposure through the entire precession cycle. The only things that change are a reversal of seasons.

15. godef

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Gotcha! ;)

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +721 / 11 / -7

It's amazing when you look at this youtube I saw yesterday about the Community Reinvestment Act and global warming...

17. lostjumper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

LOL that was funny :D

18. lostjumper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Kyoto treaty, which Bush abstained from adopting, was a colossal failure. There wasn't one country who signed it that actually met the guidelines/goals outlined in the treaty. So, why was it such a bad thing that Bush didn't sign an epic failure?
    Poznan Conference: America Should Take Notice as Europe Backs Away from Costly Global Warming Measures

19. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

You Lefties are so stupid. You have your thread laughing at what you wish the Right had said - only no-one said it. Kind of like when Obamababy said McCain would play the race card - only he never did.

Pussies.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,353 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Obama and his elite investor friends are already cornering the cap and trade market. To be fair there are politicians on both side of the aisle on this crap ... the new way to make millions now that derivatives have shot their wad.