PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian Rapoport Twitter: No offer for Bodden yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Bodden would be crazy not to wait until FA to sign a contract. He wants to get paid.

I say we let him walk. We didn't win 3 SBs by overpaying for talent. He's good but not great, unfortunately in this market he'll be overpaid by someone.

Oh well, nice knowing him.

We have Butler, Wilhite (who is good although others don't like to admit it) and Wheatley. We'll manage just fine. And springs of course.:snob:

I say we let him walk. We didn't win 3 SBs by overpaying for talent. He's good but not great, unfortunately in this market he'll be overpaid by someone.

We have Butler, Wilhite (who is good although others don't like to admit it) and Wheatley. We'll manage just fine. And springs of course.:snob:

I'd expect us to make a fair market offer.

You may be comfortable relying on Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, and Springs, but I doubt many would agree with you on that score.

I'd expect us to make a fair market offer.

You may be comfortable relying on Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, and Springs, but I doubt many would agree with you on that score.

Certainly agree with you there.

In fairness, (and I'm trying to be generous) it's probably a bit early to jump all over Wilhite etc like some have done, but he surely isn't ready yet.

Considering Wheatley didn't even really see the field this year, I think that shows where he is. Hopefully, one of the two can step up a bit, as I still expect one or the other to be at least a viable nickel back. But, yes, I'd be quite leery of this line-up, as you correctly stated. While they may end up being alright, they're just too young and raw right now.

I hope that we somehow find a way to keep Bodden, I think it's a fairly high priority--mainly due to not needing one more area of need right now.

Certainly agree with you there.

In fairness, (and I'm trying to be generous) it's probably a bit early to jump all over Wilhite etc like some have done, but he surely isn't ready yet.

Considering Wheatley didn't even really see the field this year, I think that shows where he is. Hopefully, one of the two can step up a bit, as I still expect one or the other to be at least a viable nickel back. But, yes, I'd be quite leery of this line-up, as you correctly stated. While they may end up being alright, they're just too young and raw right now.

I hope that we somehow find a way to keep Bodden, I think it's a fairly high priority--mainly due to not needing one more area of need right now.

I actually like Wilhite a lot.

But still, you have to rely on a lot of things going right for the Patriots to assume that group would be a good one.

This is no surprise. While Bodden is on the "to do" list of FAs, two HUGE dominos have to fall before anyone else can be resigned: Brady and Wilfork. And because I haven't heard any word of the tag being placed on Vince, I would have to assume they're negotiating a deal as we speak. While having Bodden would be great, I'd rather lock up our 3-4 anchor (Both would be nice though...)

the thing with wilhite that frustrates me is that he seems to alway be RIGHT THERE on the receiver and makes a good attempt at a deflection but he always just a little bit too short, if his arms were one inch longer he would have been a much better CB last year lol

I REALLY want Bodden back. Butler and Bodden will be the most confidence I had in a CB duo since Law/Poole.

I sense you are posting this with a bit of sarcasm

No way does anyone in thier right mind think Wheately,Springs and Wilhite even come close to resembling a real NFL secondary

you must not have watched all of their games last season then dude, cause wilhite is not starter material. I wanted to believe he was all season long, but after about the 12th game i realized he just wasn't cause he gets beat in coverage wayyyyy too much. And Wheatley was hardly active this season, which means we should definitely not put too much trust in any production from him next season, let alone being a starter. Finally, i thought Springs did an ok job sometimes, but he was getting older last season, and he's only gonna get older IF he decides not to retire this season.

I don't want to overpay Bodden beyond a reasonable number, but if he leaves because someone else does, then we are definitely going to have to find some one else in free agency or high in the draft, cause the CBs we have now (excluding Bodden) wont cut it

No way does anyone in thier right mind think Wheately,Springs and Wilhite even come close to resembling a real NFL secondary

oh ya, sorry if you were being sarcastic SanAngeloState, i was just so enraged that anyone would think that our secondary would be fine the way it was if we didnt have bodden lol

I actually like Wilhite a lot.

But still, you have to rely on a lot of things going right for the Patriots to assume that group would be a good one.

What do you think about Wilhites play before his groin injury early season? I remember him looking good early on. He seemed close on a lot of plays post injury and I think he lost a step because of it while others were quick to write him off.

What do you think about Wilhites play before his groin injury early season? I remember him looking good early on. He seemed close on a lot of plays post injury and I think he lost a step because of it while others were quick to write him off.

There you go letting fact get in the way of what people think they see.

Is this really a suprise to anyone? The team has much bigger priorities (namely Brady and Wilfork). Those will come before Bodden even hears a peep about a new contract.

Bodden was good but not great. I don't think we will or should pay him what he could get on the open market. Butler looks like he has the potential to turn into a #1. I know a lot of people here are way down on Wilhite, but I am not at all.

I think Wilhite can develop into a very good #2 CB and at the very least a great nickelback. He moves very well and sticks with his man very well. He has to work on his ball skills, getting his head turned around and making plays on the ball. People on here have ridiculous expectations for this kid. He was a 4th round draft pick for a reason. He had some holes in his game and needs time to develop. I was impressed with his ability to stay with his man and if he puts in the time this offseason working on his ball skills I think he will be ready to elevate his game in 2010.

Sprngs, I don't know. Part of me says keep him, part of me says cut him. I would guess he's worth keeping around until we see how things with Bodden turn out. Probably could be a training camp cut.

Hopefully Wheatley does something this year. I have no problem seeing Bodden go as long as we have a plan to replace him. Whether that is targeting Patrick Peterson next year, Haden this year, signing a FA, or trading for a guy.

Someone like Cromartie could be a possible guy we could acquire via trade. I brought that up in another thread in the midst of the Cromartie for Choice rumors. SD's beat writer said he wouldn't be surprised if Cro is deal this offseason and I was just throwing it out there that maybe he'd be a target for the Pats. Maybe a Maroney for Cromartie deal. Two guys considered to be underachieving for their respective teams. With LT likely gone, Maroney comes in as a young RB who still has potential and ran all over them in the 07-08 pkayoffs. Cromartie is only due 1.225 Million in 2010 and both guys are in the last years of their rookie deals. I'd personally consider it. Cromartie was outstanding in 07 and maybe a change of scenery would do him good. I know a lot of people would like Maroney to be shown the door, and it's not a high risk move with only 1 year and not a lot of money left on the deal. If he's good you look into extending him, if not you let him walk.

i think the pats are in full rebuilding mode. brady, wilfork, and mankins, i think will get long term deals. and guys like bodden. TBC. and so on... that can be replaced. if they are looking for to much. the pats will let them walk. they have a lot of draft picks over the next two years. and i think they are going to build this team through the draft.

The horror

A high school QB with a broken arm could pass for 300 yds on them

If Bodden isn't re-signed, would Wheatley and Wilhite be good "value" in the secondary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey