Welcome to PatsFans.com

Iacocca Trashes Bush and Congress

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Apr 14, 2007.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/POLITICS/704120383

Love that last point...

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

3. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He acknowledges thats just for starters. Point taken though...his figures are highly conservative.

4. mr3putt

mr3putt 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I always liked that old guy.

Why won't he run for President?

Too much class I guess.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +799 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm no defender of Bush but anyone who blames him for social security problems clearly doesn't have a clue. Bush is the one who tried to move it into higher growth, the only other options (means testing, raising the retirement age, raising taxes, lowering benefits) suck.

6. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, he tried so hard. :rolleyes:For about two whole weeks after his reelection, he pitched his plan to let those accounts roll into a government directed choice investment plan. The people told him to shove his half cooked scheme up his effing rear end, and he gave up like all bright, deliberative, and diplomatic leaders do.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Well his "scheme" was actually quite good. The "government directed choice investment plan" is fine, all my retirement is in it and it's doing just fine. The problem was that he couldn't articulate it very well and there's just too much momentum against it.

8. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, why on earth should people trust that bozo with their finances?

You cant be invested in it as the Bush plan went nowhere. So I dont know what you are talking about.:confused:

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm a Federal Employee who works for that nasty DoD so my equivalent to a 401K is in the same "plan" as he was proposing putting privatized social security into. The options are, indeed, "not generous" but they are still really good compared to the current SS system. Just being able to invest in the S&P 500 is good enough for 75% of people IMO.

10. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Excuuuse me...but.....

I find it hard to believe that the average schmoe was going to get the same benefit package offering as you government employees.:rolleyes:

The rest of us in the working world are typically left with our arses swinging in the breeze while the government takes good care of itself. That is a historical fact. How about your health care versus the latest medicare plan?

Care to compare the options/benefits?

But nice thought anyhow, in theory anyway, it would probably work well for a bunch of government insiders and affiliated Bush craporations.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Well to answer this part, the social security proposal was to have the privatized part be available to the exact same 6 or so investment options that we have.

Actually, our benefits blow. For real.

Salaries are competitive but not anything above what I could get in the private sector. My leave is probably above average but it took 15 years to get there. Health insurance is what I meant when I said "blow". I basically get no coverage except for the big stuff. Hospital visits are OK but anything else, eyes, teeth, whatever, I pay for that myself while still paying lots $450 a month or so for my health insurance.

It's a job, it's fine. I don't complain. But it's no walk in the park - not where I work anyway.

12. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +844 / 27 / -33

Just like he was able to get into the Air National Guard, when it was nearly impossible to get into it.. just like he was allowed to miss a year of drills.. just like many other things he has done.. he is a fortunate son, from big money. There are different rules for different people...

14. mikey

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It is so amazing how this guy got so many opportunities that are not available to ordinary Americans and yet has caused so much deaths and destruction for this country.

He got into Yale because legacy.

He got into Harvard MBA with a 2.0 GPA becuase legacy.

He was able to purchase the Texas Rangers team because of his family.

He got elected as Texas governor because his family.

He got elected as the President because of his family.

Inspite of his education, this guy is still a buffoon who cannot express a simple English sentence.

It is just amazing to me how this moron could have graduated from Yale and Harvard.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 5 / -10

And this Moron beat the democrats, Twice :singing: :singing:

16. mikey

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Just a little review of history, Harry.

George Bush did not really beat the Democrats.

Over 500,000 more Americans voted against him in the first election.

Without the 2000 election, George Bush would not have won the 2004 election.

17. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't realize that the plan was the exact same as the govts. I can live with that.

My cynical side gets the better of me again BF....my apologies. But to reiterate my original point on the privatization plan, why on earth did he just "cut and run" from the issue.

He could have shown leadership after it was soundly rejected originally, by at least using the bully pulpit to hammer home the importance of younger generations investing and not relying on SS which will not be there for them. Thats the message I was hoping he would deliver. Instead, his focus groups told him this was a losing political issue and with everything Bush, the politics are what guides him.

Again, he renegged on a campaign platform. Instead of needed reform, he chose to stay the course. Let some more ambitious future prez deal with such "hard work".

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I think it was because he had a lot of work to do to gain support and he couldn't articulate the reasons his plan was good. I love his plan but his attempted explanation of why it was good was awful. Any schmuck like me could have gone out and given an evening to work on the speech articulated why it was a good idea . . . unfortunately Bush couldn't :bricks:

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

This is what's funny about politics and parties. In the 90's SS was a problem and going bankrupt, but the Repubs laughed at Clinton for suggesting so. So fast forward 6 years and GW says SS is in trouble and going bankrupt and the Dems laugh at him for suggesting so.

Coke or Pepsi anyone?