Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
And as I watched the clock tick, I came to the realization that BB was not going to pick Lawson.
BBs board seems very different than everyone elses. We have now seen:
Graham
Wastson
Maroney
Wilfork (there is no way that it was needed to move Warren off NT)
Mankins

as guys that really were not need that BB saw value and pounced.

In the future in predicting BB drafts, I think the answer will always be the guy he has rated higher than the consensus, or the guy who plays a positin other teams did not grab up.

Maroney seems to fit both. I think BB sees Maroney as THE RB of the future here, and by pick #21 only 1 RB had been selected. (Wilfork and Warren were in DL deep drafts, but I think BB had each rated higher than 3-4 guys who were picked ahead of them)

Of course he also saw NO value when traded the pick that Bmore used for Boller, and ended up with extra picks that he used to find the value he saw.

Not that the bar is very high, but I am certain Maroney will end his career as the PAts all-time leading career rusher, and I'd bet he sets the single season record along the way.

DO NOT BE SHOCKED if Maroney, due to injury or effectiveness outrushes Dillon this year. But I'd say its less likely than likely.

Finally, does anyone think Faulk may be on the way out? I have a suspision that his fumble in the playoff game was his ticket out of town. Its no surprise to me that when we lost because a RB and KR fumbled within a minute of each other causing a very close game to turn into a not so close one, that BB picks a guy he calls a great KR and he also happens to be aRB who will need at least backup carries.

The fact that we got Maroney AND Jackson is an absolute mind blower to me.
And as the glowing opinions of Maroney keep rolling in, I feel even better.
As far as Faulk goes, I don't know. he's fumble prone, but he makes big plays too. We can't carry 100 guys, so we'll see.

I definitely DON'T see Faulk on his way out.

1) Troy Brown fumbled too in that game. Brady threw interceptions twice (and there were more in the season too - Kansas City anyone?). That doesn't mean they're automatically gone. I don't see Belichick as that kind of guy to just throw away a player's value because he was part of a collective team loss.

2) If Faulk was cut, Earl Charles would likely go as well, leaving just Patrick Pass and Heath Evans. Those aren't the type of guys you'd want as a starting running back. Dillon is still a question mark to stay healthy. Maroney is part of that unpredictable breed - rookies.

3) Faulk is an integral part of our offense, bringing something no other back on the Pats can bring in the passing game. BB has to love his versatility to return kicks and punts as well, considering the instability they've had there over the past few years.

AndyJohnson said:
Finally, does anyone think Faulk may be on the way out? I have a suspision that his fumble in the playoff game was his ticket out of town.
I don't think he's gone but I don't think there's any doubt his role will be diminished. It's a damn shame but he just can't be trusted to hold onto the ball. Now Pass - I think he is going, going, done.

Faulk stepped up so big time last season it wasn't even funny. The guy is a playmaker. Better yet, he's cheap. You don't let a guy like that go until he starts to slow down. No indication of that happening yet for Faulk.

Incidentally, Faulk is fine with ball control until he's asked to do too much (lots of caries, return the ball, etc.) in a single game. Then he hits fumblitis.

Last edited:
sieglo said:
Incidentally, Faulk is fine with ball control until he's asked to do too much (lots of caries, return the ball, etc.) in a single game. Then he hits fumblitis.
Faulk's fumble against Denver was on his 9th touch of the game. He's a playmaker but he's a gamekiller too. It kills me to say it because he can be so good, but . . . well you know.

Faulk's fumblitis was largely under control for the last couple of years. My take is that Pass will be the one to go of the two. Faulk remains one heckofa 3rd down back.

jczxohn1 said:
Faulk's fumblitis was largely under control for the last couple of years. My take is that Pass will be the one to go of the two. Faulk remains one heckofa 3rd down back.

No, I think Pass will stay as well.

They'll need some depth in the backfield with the injury history. This is certainly plausible:

Dillon
Faulk
Maroney
Pass
Mills

Heath Evans would be cut.

BelichickFan said:
I don't think he's gone but I don't think there's any doubt his role will be diminished. It's a damn shame but he just can't be trusted to hold onto the ball. Now Pass - I think he is going, going, done.

How so? He did a helluva job filling in for Dillon and Faulk before the injury. He was a helluva FB in 2004. The Pats NEED the depth at RB.

pats1 said:
How so? He did a helluva job filling in for Dillon and Faulk before the injury. He was a helluva FB in 2004. The Pats NEED the depth at RB.
Of all the ex NFL players I heard, not one could comprehend Pass' drop the ball so I can grab the back of my leg stunt in the Buffalo game. Weis always said he was soft and that did nothing to change it.

AndyJohnson said:
I would have been happy with Jackson at 21

Same here AJ - at 36 I kindof feel like we got a 1 and 1a pick this year with Maroney and Jackson.

I liked Jackson enough to even advocate trading up a few weeks ago but towards draft day felt that the WRs would slide back to us at #21 (or even allowing us to trade back to get them)

Not that Beoli didn't have a plan B but who among those two he picked at #21 depended on how the draft shook down...

With 1 RB off the board but knowing that Indy most certainly was going to grab the top rated RB they could I think Beoli knew he needed to grab an RB first, and that Maroney was the least likely of the two between he and Jackson to be there early in the 2nd

Masterful draft strategy by BB and the boys once again!

I actually thought we'd taken Jackson when ESPN's camera went to him because they usually seem to know ahead of time. And I was fine with it. This is definitely a "same as two #1s" scenario to me.

BelichickFan said:
Faulk's fumble against Denver was on his 9th touch of the game. He's a playmaker but he's a gamekiller too. It kills me to say it because he can be so good, but . . . well you know.

If I ever start a "Knee-Jerk Reaction Club of New England" and I'm looking for someone to be President, I now have at least 2 primo candidates.

The Denver loss smarted, but the blame for that loss does not lie at the feet of Kevin Faulk. Faulk has been a consistant playmaker for years and he has greatly reduced his fumbling problems.

Cutting him for one fumble is not logical, especially when looking at his relative value compared to Patrick Pass or Heath Evans... players that I assume you would be keeping in his roster spot if you did cut him.

In the mean time, stay away from those little rubber mallets

I wouldnt have had the draft any other way. I would have been incredibly excited to get Jackson at number 21, but Maroney was a great pic. It was totally unexpected when we traded up and got Jackson, that made my day for the draft.

I think Dillon is going to have a good season. He isnt getting any better, but if he trains hard for the season and avoids injury, I can see him a 1000 yard rusher or a tad under. Not hundreds of yards above 1000, but around that number. Faulk will stay, the fumble in Denver was a fumble, it was unfortunate but he didnt deserve half the blame for the loss, being Hobbs fumbled right after, which was problably the worst turnover next to the Champ Bailey interception. I would like him to stay for a few more years at least.

Faulk made huge plays in previous seasons, remembering that bobbled first down catch against Indy in the playoffs to keep the drive going.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Of all the ex NFL players I heard, not one could comprehend Pass' drop the ball so I can grab the back of my leg stunt in the Buffalo game. Weis always said he was soft and that did nothing to change it.

Yes, it was incomprehensible. None of us could understand it at the time, and i cannot imagine
that the coaches forgot it, either.
But we have to accept that ... the next time Patrick blows his hammy with ball in hand ...
he's going to drop it again.

That is not enough, though, to fire him.

Pats1 is right.
If you have to cut Evans or Pass ... Heath loses.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
If I ever start a "Knee-Jerk Reaction Club of New England" and I'm looking for someone to be President, I now have at least 2 primo candidates.
19 career fumbles in 840 touches. .023 fumbles per touch.

Dillon's fumble ratio is .01 fumbles per touch.
Martin's fumble ratio is .007 fumbles per touch.

Even the fumble prone Tiki Barber is lower than Faulk at .017 fumbles per touch. And he fixed his problem is one fumble in 411 touches last year. While Faulk had 4 in 93 touches.

flutie2phelan said:
But we have to accept that ... the next time Patrick blows his hammy with ball in hand he's going to drop it again.
Do you think Belichick is willing to accept that ? I don't.

Originally Posted by flutie2phelan
But we have to accept that ... the next time Patrick blows his hammy with ball in hand he's going to drop it again.

Do you think Belichick is willing to accept that ? I don't.

I am supremely confident BB will accept that ... because he is a highly rational man ...
and because blowing your hamstring while you're running the ball
is a once-in-a-career occurence!
(But Patrick had better hope that the incident didn't close HIS career! :) )

I really think that an emphasis this offseason will be turnovers. Creating them and not giving them up. We made more mistakes than ever last year and it bit us in the ass. It may have taken a freak injury to Pass or a bad luck fumble by Faulk but they both happened. I think Belichick realizes that turnovers won him the SB in 2001 and likely cost him the SB in 2005.

Lloyd_Christmas said:

The Denver loss smarted, but the blame for that loss does not lie at the feet of Kevin Faulk. Faulk has been a consistant playmaker for years and he has greatly reduced his fumbling problems.

Cutting him for one fumble is not logical, especially when looking at his relative value compared to Patrick Pass or Heath Evans... players that I assume you would be keeping in his roster spot if you did cut him.

In the mean time, stay away from those little rubber mallets

OK, not just the one fumble. But when you add a pattern of fumbling, a recent run of injuries, not quite fitting what we want as a #2, not being used to return kicks for a long time, plus age, and the fact that we just drafted a RB #1, it starts to add up.

My point was just that the fumble which was a a terrible time, which he has a history of, and which is unforgivable on such a play, may have made drafting RB more attractive to BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back