Welcome to PatsFans.com

I won't vote for John McCain or Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I felt the same way when I was young. I didn't hate America, but I was more interested in chasing tail and making money. I even joined the service without a strong sense of patriotism. I was doing it because I had few options and no desire to settle down. Many of not most of the guys I worked with were in it for the same reasons. Nost of us joined for the job, training, and free room and board. Few of us felt any sense of danger or risk of combat. The concept of America never meant too much to me until I traveled and felt that sense of vulnerability or being "out of the nest". I missed Fenway, fireworks, and the Green Mountains so much I ached. Fourth of July was a big party.

It's different now. We're so freaking lucky here. We take our lives and security for granted. I don't know why so much of our society claims to love our lifestyle here and fail to see the value of other lives...like Iranians, Burmese, Hatians and Iraqis. It's like we live in this bubble that no one else is entitled to...not even the "staying alive" part.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

WOW, straws anyone???

YOu guys are running a radical marxist against a RINO, and it is starting to become clear that, once again, you're gonna lose.
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Mature answer to an asinine thread.
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

One of the best posts you've written.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

Is it asinine in light of the many attacks on Michelle Obama's comments and the constant barrage of news about her remarks?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...in my life" michelle obama&btnG=Google Search

Since she's still be hammered for her comments, it makes sense to point out that McCain said essentially the same thing.

It was even discussed here:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ead.php?t=78073&highlight=michelle obama time
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

McCain was being tortured in the Hanoi Hilton, and realized how lucky he was to have an America to live in. That's the same as some Princeton elitist making $365k a year, living in a million dollar mansion, not being proud of her country till her husband became popular. McCain's talking about how you realy don't know what you got till it's gone, whereas Michelle is talking about her own selfishness being satisfied. One and the same for sure.

We do agree 100% on one thing. I won't vote for John McLame, or any Obama either. ;)
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

Sounds an awful lot like you're being an apologist here by putting McCain's comment in a flattering context. The irony is that in the earlier thread on the subject, you sort of defended Michelle Obama.

But, to go further, both Michelle Obama and John McCain made their comments well after they experienced any suffering. McCain made his comments while married to a zillionaire and living far richer than either of the Obama's ever lived. Michelle made her comment when her life was good, too.

But to go further, Michelle said, "‘For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I Am Really Proud of My Country," which even ignoring context means, given that she was born in 1964, she was proud of her country up until Reagan was president.

McCain said, "I really didn't love America until I was deprived of her company," which even ignoring context means, given that he was born in 1936, he was not proud of his country until he turned 31.

But the point is to respond to unfair right-wing attacks on Michelle Obama for her statement. If her statement is bad, then I think it follows that McCain's statement is bad, too.
  9. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not paying attention to much of anything Michelle Obama is saying, Patters. I know you're trying, but I just can't get worked up about it.

She makes me laugh--when I do see something she's said. She's so anti-Barack...because she's not being a politician, she's being a human being. She thinks it, she believes it, she says it.

I've said here and other places that I think she's more qualified than he is--and with each new "typical politician" move he makes she proves it more.

Now--about your BS on McCain. Please don't make me defend that man...but you can't equate "didn't really love America..." with not being proud of the country.

And answer your PM, dammit!

Please.
    ;)
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I've been proud of my country regardless of who has been the President or controlled congress. To think that you can only be proud of your country if your guy got in or your party is in control is extemely selfish and totally undemocratic.

Wistah's post was a great one. Bush hasn't been the greatest but then like John Kennedy said ... "ask what you can do for your country"... way too many Americans have either forgotten that or ignored it. So I guess they'll be Americans again if B"che"O gets in otherwise they'll live in the United States in disgust ... losers to anyone that feels like that.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

Of course you can. I've always loved the Untied States, but have not always been proud of her, so in fact McCain's comment is worse. But, again, these are silly little fluff issues and my only point in posting it is because Michelle Obama's comment has been for sometime a talking point for the right.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Umm...I don't know if you've stopped to consider this, Patters...but you've gotten perhaps more mileage out of Mrs. Obama's comment than anyone (I don't spend much time listening to idiots like Hannity and O'Lielly so I don't know what they're saying unless someone mentions it here), but you're the one who I think has mentioned it most--by comparing it to other people's sayings of course.

Now--who gave you the right to parse McCain's speech? LOL...when he says "love" he could mean a lot of things. Just look at wistah's post for instance.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

McLame is talking about not knowing what you got till it's taken from you. It's not that hard to figure out.
  14. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yes. You're right though, I think it's stupid for media to be pushing Michelle's statements as well. But beyond that, McCain's statement was simply that he didn't appreciate (love) his country until he served. A lot of people empathize with that statement. We all eventually reach a point of self-awareness about where we live, whether good or bad. That's probably what Michelle meant as well.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

Apologist again. And Michelle Obama was talking about her general excitement, after so many conservative years (her adult life started when she was 18 and Reagan was elected) that the American people have embraced someone like her husband. It's not that hard to figure out.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +263 / 10 / -11

If you've read the news in the last few days, you would know that Cindy McCain has been talking about Michelle's comment quite a bit.
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Good post. Thanks.....
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +515 / 6 / -2

Whatever. If you want to play word police like the MSM does, then sure. Everytime someone says something, it'll mean exactly the same thing as someone else, except for when you don't need it to. I'm not voting for either candidate, so I really don't care about silly stuff like this. Context is always key, and when people dumb down the conversation to word police one ups manship, intelligence suffers. I just like to point out when people are being stupid. ;)
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I barely care what JOHN McCain is saying, why would I care what Cindy says?

Sorry--I look at sports news, financial news and don't really pay much attention to the National Enquirer stuff that the election has become.
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In her lifetime she's seen Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush. So...I guess that's a slam at Bill Clinton, the first black president?