PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I watch Dallas Clark and think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This s the player Watson should be. Eventhough Watson is faster and bigger he just can not get open or make the catches Dallas Clark makes. Everytime I watch the Colts he makes plays down the field. I know he plays in a different systems with great Wideouts to keep coverages from collapsing on him, but he still has 100 times better hands than Watson, and is a much more precise route runner. He is a great weapon.

Next year is a big year for Watson, no more excuses, either you are a good TE or not. Right now I am eaning towards the latter.

If Watson stays healthy next year, and Chad Jackson comes around, that will be the case.

This s the player Watson should be. Eventhough Watson is faster and bigger he just can not get open or make the catches Dallas Clark makes. Everytime I watch the Colts he makes plays down the field. I know he plays in a different systems with great Wideouts to keep coverages from collapsing on him, but he still has 100 times better hands than Watson, and is a much more precise route runner. He is a great weapon.

Next year is a big year for Watson, no more excuses, either you are a good TE or not. Right now I am eaning towards the latter.

I think Clark moves better than Watson. Watson always seems like a big car driving too fast. No control over his body at that speed. Clark looks very under control at top speed. Very polished.

Watson has a long way to go before he's at that level, unfortunately.

That kid just seems to have a knack for getting the ball. And for some reason I'm still always surprised when he comes up with it.

This year we saw the first signs of what Watson can be I think. Remember he was a huge part of a passing game that he was the main focus of for a long while. Next year if the Pats can maintain some continuity at the WR position and teams are not able to focus on Watson as much he'll move up another level IMO.

Taking into account the we had a work in progress WR corps allowing teams to key on Watson, I think he had a good year. Obviously the fumbles are a concern but it is something that can be worked on. See Tiki Barbers early career.

Wzatson needs to improve his route runing and adjusting to the ball IMO. He never comes back to the ball. I would love to see a stat about how many of Brady's int's were intended for Watson.

Garrett Mills could be / will be our version of Dallas Clark in a year or two.

Mills will be that hybrid fb/TE pass catcher in a year or 2.

Comparinig Dallas Clark to anyone is unfair - he's a very special player.

I think with a true #1 WR behind him Watson can be all that and more. If Graham is willing to accept a long term reasonable deal to stay here I would be happier with the 3 TEs that we have rather than 1 Dallas Clark.

Clark is in a FAR superior passing offense than what Watson is in.

In NE Watson is THE only bonafide receiving option whereas in Indy Clark is the 3rd receiving option.

If Watson played for the Colts he'd be an all pro. If Clark played for the Pats he'd be like Watson, an overmatched TE trying to be the teams #1 WR.

Clark is in a FAR superior passing offense than what Watson is in.

In NE Watson is THE only bonafide receiving option whereas in Indy Clark is the 3rd receiving option.

If Watson played for the Colts he'd be an all pro. If Clark played for the Pats he'd be like Watson, an overmatched TE trying to be the teams #1 WR.

What he said.

2 words DAVE THOMAS

the New England Patriots need a serious upgrade in free safety and linebacker in the 2007 NFL draft.

Many 'experts' just look at a guy's rippling muscles and staight-ahead speed and annoint him the next in line of great tight ends from Dave Caspar to Ben Coates. Watson may yet develop into an All-Pro, but while he is speedy, he has an oddly rigid running motion, does not juke defenders, and often looks awkward while trying to bring down balls.

Also, his hands are average-- the ball often caroms off them like they were made of some space age metal.

Clark just killed us yesterday.

the New England Patriots need a serious upgrade in free safety and linebacker in the 2007 NFL draft.

From your lips to BB's ears. Couldn't agree more.

I couldn't disagree more. Peyton would yell at Watson all day long for sloppy route-running and bad technique.

I couldn't disagree more. Peyton would yell at Watson all day long for sloppy route-running and bad technique.
You're missing the point ...... if Watson played alongside Harrison and Wayne, he'd not have to run precise routes because he'd be so wide open I could even toss him completed pass after pass with nary a concern.

Personally, I think Watson was grossly mis-used this year. They used him as a posession receiver, and considering his hands, he certainly is not one. He might be the most physically dominating tight end in the league, but they use him the way the Jets used friggin Wayne Chrebet. He was hardly put into positions where he could use his physical skills to make plays, and it showed.

Personally, I think Watson was grossly mis-used this year. They used him as a posession receiver, and considering his hands, he certainly is not one. He might be the most physically dominating tight end in the league, but they use him the way the Jets used friggin Wayne Chrebet. He was hardly put into positions where he could use his physical skills to make plays, and it showed.

I'm torn on Watson. Part of me agrees with your sentiments, the other part says maybe he's not as good as we all thought or hoped. The book is still out.

Last edited:

It is what it is, Watson is improving and made a solid contribution, albeit not spectacular. He is a great athelete but not a natural football player, Clark is savy and understands defenses. Watson gets a lot of short passes underneath but only does an ok job of creating the natural separation his isze should provide.

All in all, there is a long list of problems to address before you get to Watson.

Dallas Clark is nothing special. Ben Utecht is better. The middle of the field was open because the Colts have two All-pro receivers on the outside and the Pats have a sub-par coverage LBing corps. Clark, for once in his career, took advantage. Don't forget his case of the dropsies against the Pats in years past. Lance Briggs will destroy him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye