Welcome to PatsFans.com

I watch Dallas Clark and think.....

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Peter Pat, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Peter Pat

Peter Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This s the player Watson should be. Eventhough Watson is faster and bigger he just can not get open or make the catches Dallas Clark makes. Everytime I watch the Colts he makes plays down the field. I know he plays in a different systems with great Wideouts to keep coverages from collapsing on him, but he still has 100 times better hands than Watson, and is a much more precise route runner. He is a great weapon.

Next year is a big year for Watson, no more excuses, either you are a good TE or not. Right now I am eaning towards the latter.
  2. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

If Watson stays healthy next year, and Chad Jackson comes around, that will be the case.
  3. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think Clark moves better than Watson. Watson always seems like a big car driving too fast. No control over his body at that speed. Clark looks very under control at top speed. Very polished.

Watson has a long way to go before he's at that level, unfortunately.
  4. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That kid just seems to have a knack for getting the ball. And for some reason I'm still always surprised when he comes up with it.
  5. The_Dragon

The_Dragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This year we saw the first signs of what Watson can be I think. Remember he was a huge part of a passing game that he was the main focus of for a long while. Next year if the Pats can maintain some continuity at the WR position and teams are not able to focus on Watson as much he'll move up another level IMO.

Taking into account the we had a work in progress WR corps allowing teams to key on Watson, I think he had a good year. Obviously the fumbles are a concern but it is something that can be worked on. See Tiki Barbers early career.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

Wzatson needs to improve his route runing and adjusting to the ball IMO. He never comes back to the ball. I would love to see a stat about how many of Brady's int's were intended for Watson.
  7. LloydBraun

LloydBraun Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Garrett Mills could be / will be our version of Dallas Clark in a year or two.

Mills will be that hybrid fb/TE pass catcher in a year or 2.
  8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 2 / -3

Comparinig Dallas Clark to anyone is unfair - he's a very special player.

I think with a true #1 WR behind him Watson can be all that and more. If Graham is willing to accept a long term reasonable deal to stay here I would be happier with the 3 TEs that we have rather than 1 Dallas Clark.
  9. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 9 / -2

#12 Jersey

Clark is in a FAR superior passing offense than what Watson is in.

In NE Watson is THE only bonafide receiving option whereas in Indy Clark is the 3rd receiving option.

If Watson played for the Colts he'd be an all pro. If Clark played for the Pats he'd be like Watson, an overmatched TE trying to be the teams #1 WR.
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +645 / 6 / -18

What he said.
  11. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2 words DAVE THOMAS
  12. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +291 / 5 / -10

I watch Dallas Clark and think.....

the New England Patriots need a serious upgrade in free safety and linebacker in the 2007 NFL draft.
  13. tedy hagler

tedy hagler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Many 'experts' just look at a guy's rippling muscles and staight-ahead speed and annoint him the next in line of great tight ends from Dave Caspar to Ben Coates. Watson may yet develop into an All-Pro, but while he is speedy, he has an oddly rigid running motion, does not juke defenders, and often looks awkward while trying to bring down balls.

Also, his hands are average-- the ball often caroms off them like they were made of some space age metal.

Clark just killed us yesterday.
  14. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From your lips to BB's ears. Couldn't agree more.
  15. Ichiro

Ichiro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I couldn't disagree more. Peyton would yell at Watson all day long for sloppy route-running and bad technique.
  16. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 9 / -2

#12 Jersey

You're missing the point ...... if Watson played alongside Harrison and Wayne, he'd not have to run precise routes because he'd be so wide open I could even toss him completed pass after pass with nary a concern.
  17. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Personally, I think Watson was grossly mis-used this year. They used him as a posession receiver, and considering his hands, he certainly is not one. He might be the most physically dominating tight end in the league, but they use him the way the Jets used friggin Wayne Chrebet. He was hardly put into positions where he could use his physical skills to make plays, and it showed.
  18. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm torn on Watson. Part of me agrees with your sentiments, the other part says maybe he's not as good as we all thought or hoped. The book is still out.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  19. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

It is what it is, Watson is improving and made a solid contribution, albeit not spectacular. He is a great athelete but not a natural football player, Clark is savy and understands defenses. Watson gets a lot of short passes underneath but only does an ok job of creating the natural separation his isze should provide.

All in all, there is a long list of problems to address before you get to Watson.
  20. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Dallas Clark is nothing special. Ben Utecht is better. The middle of the field was open because the Colts have two All-pro receivers on the outside and the Pats have a sub-par coverage LBing corps. Clark, for once in his career, took advantage. Don't forget his case of the dropsies against the Pats in years past. Lance Briggs will destroy him.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007