PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I was talking to a Steelers fan last night....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSal

Old fart and proud of it!
Reaction score
After finishing yet another rousing 9 holes in my golf league(the losers' bracket), I found myself at my usual spot at the bar getting my balls busted by a couple of Giants fans. As expected these guys were pushing the logic that the Pats are done without Brady, :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:. One of the other guys, a diehard Steelers fan, gets into the conversation and says that anyone who thinks the Pats are done is a fool - the team is too talented and they are coached by the best ever. He then went on to praise BB more by saying there is no one else that has better prepared his team for a momentlike this than Belichick and that the other teams/fans in the league are going to be in for a surprise. It was funny because he was speaking as if as if he were a Pats fan, not a Steelers fan. It was a nice change to talk football with someone who is a true fan of the game and appreciates the accomplishments of other players and coaches around the league.

He then went on to praise BB more by saying there is no one else that has better prepared his team for a momentlike this than Belichick and that the other teams/fans in the league are going to be in for a surprise.

My thoughts exactly. And after listening to Belichick and the players for years talk about "the Patriot way" - this is really what it is all about. In 2008 we will see the ultimate test of the Belichick system and I have a feeling we will do fine.

It's true, Brady is the worst loss imaginable for this team. But, it is also true that this team is deep and talented beyond # 12.

Now is the time for this team to see just how good Maroney is over a 16 game slate; just how good the rest of the run game is. Cassel can't help but be half decent with Moss and Welker around to make him comfortable.

I also look forward to seeing more of the atack style D that we saw last weekend. When the team blitzed late, though it was costly (only because of Sanders' poor angle), it showed me just how Capers' style may be used on this team. Personally, I am looking forward to Vrabel and Crable coming after Favre on the blitz. O'Neal has 2 picks this week, book it.

My thoughts exactly. And after listening to Belichick and the players for years talk about "the Patriot way" - this is really what it is all about. In 2008 we will see the ultimate test of the Belichick system and I have a feeling we will do fine.

I think your setting the bar too high. You can't expect to win without good players. It was BB who gave TB his start. He pushed him over the #1 pick Bledsoe.

Even if the Pats go 5-11 again he is still a great coach in my mind. The critical question is how bad is Cassell.

I think your setting the bar too high. You can't expect to win without good players. It was BB who gave TB his start. He pushed him over the #1 pick Bledsoe.

Even if the Pats go 5-11 again he is still a great coach in my mind. The critical question is how bad is Cassell.

How well Cassel plays is certainly a concern, but nobody should discount the quality of the players around him. I'm of the opinion that Cassel will turn out to be a serviceable qb. With players like Moss, Welker, Faulk and an offensive line that is capable of matching up with most teams a serviceable qb can be quite successful.

After finishing yet another rousing 9 holes in my golf league(the losers' bracket), I found myself at my usual spot at the bar getting my balls busted by a couple of Giants fans. As expected these guys were pushing the logic that the Pats are done without Brady, :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:. One of the other guys, a diehard Steelers fan, gets into the conversation and says that anyone who thinks the Pats are done is a fool - the team is too talented and they are coached by the best ever. He then went on to praise BB more by saying there is no one else that has better prepared his team for a momentlike this than Belichick and that the other teams/fans in the league are going to be in for a surprise. It was funny because he was speaking as if as if he were a Pats fan, not a Steelers fan. It was a nice change to talk football with someone who is a true fan of the game and appreciates the accomplishments of other players and coaches around the league.

Please get me that Steelers fan's phone number. I want to make out with him.

Great story to read, thanks dsal! Hopefully, your Steeler buddy shut up those Giant fans.

You think doing "fine" is setting the bar too high? This team is not only about Cassell, or even Cassel.

So what? The other 11 guys on offense are chopped liver?

Adapt, improvise, conquer.

"enough with the negative waves, Moriarty!"

If you are wondering how "bad" he is, then you will probably never be comfortable with Cassel as the starter. If he lasts the season he will have us in the hunt for the playoffs - this team is too good to go 5-11.

I am not sure that 12-4 or 11-5 is that big of an accomplishment. Who are we playing that was not good last year but is showing promise this year?

Maybe Denver but their recent history is fast starts. Buffalo? Maybe

Everyone says we have the best coach in the league - and I agree. However, he is human and can be outcoached from time to time - look no further than the last SB. Slow to make adjustments, deciding against going for the FG, etc. Anyway, if Cassel proves to be a chump one would have to question BB's decision to keep this guy on the team instead of going for a "reliable" back-up....and not just this year, but last. What made BB sign Flutie and Testeverde. What makes him comfortable with Cassel now? Why hasn't he gone after a vet the past two years? Has he gotten better or has BB just gotten comfortable? We'll see.

Everyone says we have the best coach in the league - and I agree. However, he is human and can be outcoached from time to time - look no further than the last SB. Slow to make adjustments, deciding against going for the FG, etc. Anyway, if Cassel proves to be a chump one would have to question BB's decision to keep this guy on the team instead of going for a "reliable" back-up....and not just this year, but last. What made BB sign Flutie and Testeverde. What makes him comfortable with Cassel now? Why hasn't he gone after a vet the past two years? Has he gotten better or has BB just gotten comfortable? We'll see.

There was no 'reliable' backup available. Fultie & Vinny were signed years ago because they were believed to be cerebral enough to grasp this offense and Cassel was green his 1st 2 years. This year's available veteran castoffs were not felt to be system capable.

Of course BB is human, can occasionally be outcoached and sometimes makes personell evaluation errors. He also corrects those errors and learns from his mistakes.

Last edited:
Please get me that Steelers fan's phone number. I want to make out with him.
Oh noez! That Chinese male/female ratio is really being felt worldwide! :eek:

first of all, the pats won't go 5-11. if they did then i'd be very worried because BB still wouldn't have even close to a winning record without TB. no one would be worried that that would take away from his legacy? i would...

After the Steelers fan was done, you should have turned to him and said,

"Nice try, but the reverse jinx ain't happening."

Regards,
Chris

I guess he wasn't wearing a Bernard Pollard Fan Club t shirt huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down