PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I want teams to fear our defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdown93

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm watching the AFC Championship and how physical these teams are playing. The blitzes and pressure these defenses create is amazing.

I hope as our younger players mature our defense becomes as physical as ever.

Last edited:
Re: I want teams to fear our defense.

we need a solid lb corp so we can blitz from anywhere and right behind it we need a good corner and even an additional safety.

sometime i think we're too pick with players. look at the steelers when they drafted lamar woodley and found james harrison.

I'm watching the AFC Championship and how physical these teams are playing. The blitzes and pressure these defenses create is amazing.

I hope as our younger players mature our defense becomes as physical as ever.

Jim Leonard was an available FA last offseason. He is playing for the Ravens and we picked up 'other guys.'

There is a level of nastiness in B'More and the Steelers have always been tough and proud. Our team has been built around a world class offense and a 'solid' defense. I think we can win with that...it takes years to generate 'fear.'

Its not all about being physical, no other defenses in the nfl have the amount of emotion pitt and balt d's have.

Its not all about being physical, no other defenses in the nfl have the amount of emotion pitt and balt d's have.

you don't think the giants defense ranks up there?

The Giants D ranks up there, but slash is right. The Ravens and Steelers play D with more emotion than anyone else.

Lewis and that Ravens D generates enough fire and emotion for three teams. That D is just pure desire.

I've been saying that for a while. Our D is soft in comparison with these top defenses, and even in comparison to our own D's of 2003, 2004, and 2006. We don't intimidate or disrupt the way these defenses do. We don't cause turnovers the same way.

We need to get scarier, nastier, more emotional and more aggressive on D. I think part of it is our players, but I personally think a lot of it is due to Dean Pees' approach, which is way to permissive ("bend but don't break") for my taste. I'd rather break the other guy.

If we had a defense even close to these, with our offenses, we would be unstoppable. I hoping that we will address this in FA and the draft, especially with some young LB talent. Then we need to take off the brakes and let them wreak havoc.

Anyway I think our defense is fine. This year we were just crushed by injuries and it still held up fine down the stretch.

Last year it did give up the big TD but overall 17 ppg in the playoffs against the top teams out there is what our SB defenses gave up. It was just a matter of timing that did us in without Brady getting a fair last shot. The Ravens and Steelers do have admirable defenses but how are the Ravens performing tonight? How did the #1 Steelers D do in 2004 AFCC? The key is an effective balance and I believe we still have the best balance in the league.

The key is an effective balance and I believe we still have the best balance in the league.

This is the key point, balance but more importantly is the offense or defense being able to pick the other side up. Look at 2003, the defense was the main strength of the team but in the superbowl they laid an egg but the offense was able to carry them.

you don't think the giants defense ranks up there?

with baltimores and pitts nope, the giants dline is nasty but the backend is average to good at best. Pit and blt are nasty from front to back.

Last edited:

My one problem with our defense is that I'd like it to get more takeaways, but that won't happen until we have a stronger pass rush. A better pass rush makes our defense pretty great...

Pitts secondary plays alot of soft coverage also there not always up jammin the wr, they no the qb isnt going to be able to sit back there with the amount of pressure there able to genarate. The dbs are just waitin to pick off a hurried thrrow.

You guys sound like a bunch of yahoos. How was that "emotion" working for Baltimore the last 5 years or so? Ray Lewis can do his song and dance with all the emotion of a cabaret singer, but that doesn't necessarily make a good defense.

Except for tonight :mad::(

Now they're on the board it might just change. I hope :)

Don't want to direspect the guys on the Giants D, theres passion there no doubt and alot of talent but I think alot of their success just moved to St. Louis.

You guys sound like a bunch of yahoos. How was that "emotion" working for Baltimore the last 5 years or so? Ray Lewis can do his song and dance with all the emotion of a cabaret singer, but that doesn't necessarily make a good defense.

I dont care how talented you are if you dont have the fire and emotion inside you arent go to scare nobody. What the hell you talkin about anyways Baltimores offense has always sucked the D has been awesome for years and years now you dont no what the hell your saying.

I dont care how talented you are if you dont have the fire and emotion inside you arent go to scare nobody. What the hell you talkin about anyways Baltimores offense has always sucked the D has been awesome for years and years now you dont no what the hell your saying.

What I am saying is that this thread is implying that the Patriots players do not play with "emotion"..give me a friggin break. Show me where you can point to anything that provides any sort evidence. Additionally show me where there is a direct correlation to the amount of emotion and defensive success.

I don't care if teams fear our defense. I want defense disciplined enough to close out a game when the honus is on them to make a stop.

Discipline is what I am hopeful of.

So if you play with fire and emotion you will scare nobody?

Eh, whatever. The Patriots' soft, emotionless defense has more Super Bowls to its credit this decade than the Ravens' and Steelers' combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes