PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I want someone to explain to me IN DETAIL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. This thread is loaded with information which is what I was hoping for. I started the thread for myself because I'm much, MUCH more defensively minded (when it comes to football anyway) than I am offensively. Thanks to a few posters in this thread, I've gained a greater understanding about our offense. If anyone else would like to weigh in with information that isn't already covered in this thread (such as our blocking schemes), it would be greatly appreciated.

...our offensive system and why it is so hard for, not only rookies, but veterans to pick up as well. I know as much that our blocking schemes are pretty exotic due to our screen and quick pass game, but I want someone to fully break it down for me. There seems to be quite a few experts around here who seem to know our offensive system inside and out and I would greatly like for you guys to weigh. Tell me, in detail please, how New England's routes and blocking schemes are so totally different from every other team in the NFL and also how the schemes generate to the running scheme and quarterback position. I have a feeling that this is going to be a very informative thread...

From what I understand the Receiver and QB must read the defense and the receiver's route changes based on what the defense does.

If the receiever is a dolt he'll never get it.

There are alot of other little intracies about the routes as well, while the sight adjustment might call for a hitch the WR has to know based on the def the hitch is at say 7yds and inside the hash vs 5 and outside. So even within the trees the same route can be interpreted many different ways dependant on many different factors.

Threads like these always make me happy I visit this site :)

In all fairness, what I know is second-hand information, aside from playing a little football a long time ago, I know little else than what I have read or hear, and in terms of my reference being second-hand, that unfortunately makes for plenty of opportunities for me to be wrong or to have my foot in my mouth on occasions.

That being said, one reason I enjoy coming here is my strong desire to learn more about this great game.

So I don't think this thread would be complete without more input, perspectives, and information from some of the most knowledgeable posters here (Dabruinz, BOR, pats1, Andyjohnson and a few others).

Last edited:
In all fairness, what I know is second-hand information, aside from playing a little football a long time ago, I know little else than what I have read or hear, and in terms of my reference being second-hand, that unfortunately makes for plenty of opportunities for me to be wrong or to have my foot in my mouth on occasions.

That being said, one reason I enjoy coming here is my strong desire to learn more about this great game.

So I don't think this thread would be complete without more input, perspectives, and information from some of the most knowledgeable posters here (Dabruinz, BOR, pats1, Andyjohnson and a few others).

Hats off to you and DaBruinz for an impressive yet easy to understand light into what all goes on in the O. Much appreciated! :)

Can you offer your thoughts on Peyton's animations before the snap? Does he do it to misdirect the D (whereas the Colts O clearly knows what play he is planning to execute) or is he genuinely making frantic adjustments until the last second?

btw - I don't mean to deride Peyton. I think he is among the best to take advantage of the miscues of the opposing D prior to the snap.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Simple minded QB's on the other hand, like Favre do simple XYZ assignation and RB/TE option with no modification and love to improvise if the play breaks down or there is nothing left to checkdown. This works in the regular season but almost never in the playoffs. In 20 years he has reached the superbowl once, and I would argue that anyone who stick around for 20 years will eventually get somewhere. I would fall down if I heard that Favre has actually audibled once in his NFL career.

Favre's TD throw to Andre Rison in the SB was an audible. That was in 1996.

I think the Xs and Os are a part of it, but according to Darren Woodson (apparently Galloway's friend), JG was simply not comfortable going over the middle of the field (he never was, but especially at this point in his career), and he was being asked to run all kinds of routes in the middle of the field in the Pats offense. So, at least with regard to Galloway, his head wasn't in it, but equally if not more importantly, his heart wasn't in it. Although I can't blame him for not wanting to take shots from lb's and safeties at his age.

I think the Xs and Os are a part of it, but according to Darren Woodson (apparently Galloway's friend), JG was simply not comfortable going over the middle of the field (he never was, but especially at this point in his career), and he was being asked to run all kinds of routes in the middle of the field in the Pats offense. So, at least with regard to Galloway, his head wasn't in it, but equally if not more importantly, his heart wasn't in it. Although I can't blame him for not wanting to take shots from lb's and safeties at his age.

Wish he had told that before he signed the contract. :rolleyes:

Favre's TD throw to Andre Rison in the SB was an audible. That was in 1996.

Again, I was exaggerating. The point I was trying to make was to show what I thought of Favre and his ability to really understand football.

In hindsight I probably should have said it in a better way.

Hats off to you and DaBruinz for an impressive yet easy to understand light into what all goes on in the O. Much appreciated! :)

Can you offer your thoughts on Peyton's animations before the snap? Does he do it to misdirect the D (whereas the Colts O clearly knows what play he is planning to execute) or is he genuinely making frantic adjustments until the last second?

btw - I don't mean to deride Peyton. I think he is among the best to take advantage of the miscues of the opposing D prior to the snap.

Thanks,

Key to understanding this is Manning doesn't really do the huddle, at least, that is- technically discuss a play in there. He gets the base formation and play, then when he goes to the LOS, he alters the base based on the defense he sees. That includes communicating pass routes, direction of play, etc. Sometimes when you think you see him checking off, he is just changing options (e.g. taking the play from the right to the left side). You could say he is given a concept (pass/run) and has the freedom to tweak it based on the defense formations or alignments he sees.

He gets the play from Moore, gives it out in the semi-huddle, then with around 20 or so left on the play clock, you see all that famous funky chicken, wing-flapping hysterics- I have no idea how much of it is fake or misleading, but I'd guess about half of it is. Manning, unlike Brady, is a good actor as we've seen on TV, and I'd have to guess that carries over onto the field, where he can indulge in his inner drama queen. His baby brother, Eli, used to have a key word that would denote that a forthcoming audible was fake, and that word was "omaha" so if his OL heard "Pass 52 cut J hook 22 Omaha" they knew to disregard it.

One of the reasons BB has had great success against Manning for so long is that he has his defense wait until the last possible moment before going into alignment. So you saw a lot of walking or motioning around until there was 5 or so seconds left, which is too late for Manning to audible any more changes.

But Manning and the Colts have gone to the quick counts to try and sabotage this. You never know when Manning is going to flap around or just suddenly pull a quick count, so sometimes he gets defenses to reveal themselves prematurely.

Manning has his ways with defenses that don't have a high IQ or have the same discipline as a BB defense does. He is usually able to goad the other defense in revealing itself(i.e., safety betrays blitz or dropback/LB betrays gap blitz), because they get taken in by what I like to call the Manning Drunken Monkey (Drunken Monkey Form is an actual martial arts form off the Kung Fu branch). But this is not to mistake Manning as someone who just spouts gibberish and flaps his arms- he, along with Brady, are the most prepared QB's in the NFL. They are film room nuts and are almost never caught off guard.

But he does have his problems with a defense that can remain highly disciplined during a game, and stick to its game plan no matter how Manning seems to switch things around. You will know he is having trouble when he starts calling timeouts. I believe he had trouble with the Titans D earlier if I am not wrong.. either this year or last year.. he had to call two timeouts in the first half alone.

Last edited:
there are a couple pats playbooks floating around the net, I believe, but they're a couple years old -- '04 + '05 maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back