PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I want Josh Wilson! (+LaMarr Woodley note)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Heard both these guys interviewed on sirius radio. Josh Wilson was truly remarkable, the guy has the full laundry list of Patriots-type charactertistics:
- Smart (football student-athlete award of ACC, majored in a very difficult major--something business--with a solid gpa)
- Tough, won Iron Terp award at Maryland
- Deeply competitive (practices like it's a game)
- Physical (prides himself on tackling big RB's)
- Versatile (Excellent returner, zone or man coverage, plays all special teams units)
- Addicted to film study
- Durable (missed 2 games in 4 year college career)
- Fast (4.39 40), short-area quickness, technician
- Strong (21 reps at 225, ridiculous for his size, says that he did it to show his dedication)

The interview really was awesome, it gave me goose bumps while most draftee interviews put me to sleep. All this guy lacks is height, which is at the bottom of the Patriots criteria for DB's.

So, is it at all possible that the Patriots pick this guy at 28?!? No chance he lasts into the third round.

Wilson profile: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/joshwilson.html

LaMarr Woodley said that he is scheduled soon for a private workout with the Patriots.

Last edited:
I love this guy also, and if it wasn't for his height he'd be the number one corner. He's very very underrated, and I would LOVE to trade down mid-second and grab him.

I heard the Josh Wilson interview on my way home last night also. I was so impressed, I immediatley grabbed my draft guide when I got there to read up on the kid. I agree - very, very, impressive - a "Patriot" type player all the way. He really complimented the corners in front of him at his school and how much they helped grow. I forget their names right now, but both went to the NFL. I hope we manuver around with the picks so we get a shot at him.

Does my trade idea sound more appealing now? LOL!

Trade 24+28 to GB for 16+47.
Draft one of (Willis, Revis, Nelson, Carriker, Meachen, Moss) at 16th overall, then draft one of (Woodley, Spencer, Harris, Wilson, Meriweather, Leonard, Bush, Harrell, Weddle) with the 47th pick.

Obviously some of these players will already be off the board before these picks, but with 16 you have a better chance of grabbing a solid first round telent on defense, and at 47 you have a really good chance of grabbing a solid defensive, or offensive player without having to reach for them at 28th overall.

I had us picking him in round 3 as a ST ace who could play CB in a pinch. But then we got Welker and now he doesn't fit to take just as a backup CB.

I love this guy also, and if it wasn't for his height he'd be the number one corner.

Leon Hall is by far the #1 corner. I don't know why people on this board seem to forget that.

I don't understand how the guys height is a problem for people. Honestly look around the NFL and tell me how many good corners are over 6 feet. I know that it is optimal height for people, but what does it really matter. So what if a guy is 6' but he cant jump? i'll take the 5'9 guy who can jump a 38-40 inch vertical any day.
THe problem with tall corners is that the position is a react position, and taller players just don't have the quickness needed.

Get off the short corners because trust me, there will be a lot more corners that are successful at 5'9 or 5'10 than there are 6'1 or 6'2

Does my trade idea sound more appealing now? LOL!

Trade 24+28 to GB for 16+47.
Draft one of (Willis, Revis, Nelson, Carriker, Meachen, Moss) at 16th overall, then draft one of (Woodley, Spencer, Harris, Wilson, Meriweather, Leonard, Bush, Harrell, Weddle) with the 47th pick.

This sounds very appealing given in the first group 1 of those is there of my 3 (Carriker, Revis, or Willis) and Josh Wilson at 47 sounds possible. I don't see Carriker available that late. The more I read about this kid Wilson the more I think we should trade back into round 2 and secure him as well as another rd 3 pick. I don't love anyone at 28, and in order to be truly happy with our 1st round pick I'd need to see Revis, Willis, Carriker or Staley.

Wilson appeals to me too.

I wonder whether this kind of trade would have to happen BEFORE draft day or not. E.g., has Green Bay really carefully stacked its board in 20s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back