Welcome to PatsFans.com

I want Josh Wilson! (+LaMarr Woodley note)

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Isaac, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Heard both these guys interviewed on sirius radio. Josh Wilson was truly remarkable, the guy has the full laundry list of Patriots-type charactertistics:
    - Smart (football student-athlete award of ACC, majored in a very difficult major--something business--with a solid gpa)
    - Tough, won Iron Terp award at Maryland
    - Deeply competitive (practices like it's a game)
    - Physical (prides himself on tackling big RB's)
    - Versatile (Excellent returner, zone or man coverage, plays all special teams units)
    - Addicted to film study
    - Durable (missed 2 games in 4 year college career)
    - Fast (4.39 40), short-area quickness, technician
    - Strong (21 reps at 225, ridiculous for his size, says that he did it to show his dedication)

The interview really was awesome, it gave me goose bumps while most draftee interviews put me to sleep. All this guy lacks is height, which is at the bottom of the Patriots criteria for DB's.

So, is it at all possible that the Patriots pick this guy at 28?!? No chance he lasts into the third round.

Wilson profile: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/joshwilson.html

LaMarr Woodley said that he is scheduled soon for a private workout with the Patriots.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

3. Isaac

Isaac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love this guy also, and if it wasn't for his height he'd be the number one corner. He's very very underrated, and I would LOVE to trade down mid-second and grab him.

5. IndyKen

IndyKen Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I heard the Josh Wilson interview on my way home last night also. I was so impressed, I immediatley grabbed my draft guide when I got there to read up on the kid. I agree - very, very, impressive - a "Patriot" type player all the way. He really complimented the corners in front of him at his school and how much they helped grow. I forget their names right now, but both went to the NFL. I hope we manuver around with the picks so we get a shot at him.

6. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does my trade idea sound more appealing now? LOL!

Trade 24+28 to GB for 16+47.
    Draft one of (Willis, Revis, Nelson, Carriker, Meachen, Moss) at 16th overall, then draft one of (Woodley, Spencer, Harris, Wilson, Meriweather, Leonard, Bush, Harrell, Weddle) with the 47th pick.

Obviously some of these players will already be off the board before these picks, but with 16 you have a better chance of grabbing a solid first round telent on defense, and at 47 you have a really good chance of grabbing a solid defensive, or offensive player without having to reach for them at 28th overall.

7. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I had us picking him in round 3 as a ST ace who could play CB in a pinch. But then we got Welker and now he doesn't fit to take just as a backup CB.

8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

9. drpatriot

drpatriot Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Leon Hall is by far the #1 corner. I don't know why people on this board seem to forget that.

10. thecrazyeye

thecrazyeye On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't understand how the guys height is a problem for people. Honestly look around the NFL and tell me how many good corners are over 6 feet. I know that it is optimal height for people, but what does it really matter. So what if a guy is 6' but he cant jump? i'll take the 5'9 guy who can jump a 38-40 inch vertical any day.
    THe problem with tall corners is that the position is a react position, and taller players just don't have the quickness needed.

Get off the short corners because trust me, there will be a lot more corners that are successful at 5'9 or 5'10 than there are 6'1 or 6'2

11. c_nice_37

c_nice_37 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This sounds very appealing given in the first group 1 of those is there of my 3 (Carriker, Revis, or Willis) and Josh Wilson at 47 sounds possible. I don't see Carriker available that late. The more I read about this kid Wilson the more I think we should trade back into round 2 and secure him as well as another rd 3 pick. I don't love anyone at 28, and in order to be truly happy with our 1st round pick I'd need to see Revis, Willis, Carriker or Staley.

12. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +132 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

Wilson appeals to me too.

I wonder whether this kind of trade would have to happen BEFORE draft day or not. E.g., has Green Bay really carefully stacked its board in 20s?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.