PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I trust in BB... however...

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
That was touching. 2003 season, SB Champions, 2004 season SB Champions,2005 Season playoff team in spite of devastating injuries.

And, they need to prove it to you in 2006, after 1 week of FA? They may be asleep the wheel and they need "fans" like you to keep them awake?:eek:

Sorry, but you are a moron.

Lets hope we don't Wiff this year in free agency or maybe even your rose colored glasses may fade. I will never forget the great run, but I think we still have the best core and are capable of more with the right aquisitions!!!!!! Lets go after SB 41.

I think BB cares about wins and losses, not PR.

Thing is I'm guessing he has a plan to optimize the roster for this year and the next few years. Maybe if we sign some of the fan faves, we may not be able to sign others (Seymour, Branch). If I have to choose between fan board mavens and BB, based on BB track record I think I'll stick with him.

Injuries were the issue, from Tedy's medical issues to T Johnson's retirement to all the in season injuries. In particular, Beisel & Brown were asked to fulfill roles last year they were never intended to fill.

BTW it is remarkable the injuries the team overcame in the SB 38 & 39. Getting where they got in the playoffs after losing the 2 coordinators and all the injuries may have been more impressive.

This offseason may be seen, in the future as a transistion year between part 1 & 2 of the Patriots dynasty, the Brady era.

I don't fault the players who left. They were either cut or not resigned or got offered more money elsewhere and I don't fault them for taking it. There's no real loyalty from either side except when a player is on the team with a contract. It isn't easy as fans to see popular players who have had good to great careers here leave no matter what the circumstances are. Willie was a fan favorite. Adam was a fan favorite. If Troy Brown goes to another team, who didn't like Troy Brown? We got bingo !! BB has a history and track record of cutting popular players and it started in Cleveland with Bernie Kosar. I read a statement somewhere of BB's where he praised Willie's play for him. The others I'm not so sure. I don't think they need to have a press conference about it. The Patriots have cut popular players, or they left for more money if thier deals ran out, just about every year. Some years the Patriots brought in players that made the team just as good, or better, so it was largely forgotten. Some years they've missed on the players they brought in. It IS early for anyone to be slitting thier throats yet, but today, on March 17th, the player brought in doesn't match what went out. Doesn't mean there won't be good additions and it can't just be assumed there will be good additions.

oldrover said:
I haven't heard anything out of them. That's the problem. Hell, they could have had a big press conference when they released Willie, with BB reiterating what he's meant to the franchise and saying he hoped they could still come to an agreement, but that regardless, Willie was a great player, yadda yadda yadda. Is that so hard? Doesn't compromise negotiating position at all, but shows the players and the fans that the team appreciates the man.

I'm just sayin'... :D

I think that this happens when willie retires from the game and if he chooses to come back and retire as a patriot. That seems like the more appropriate time to have a press conference. When someone leaves for another team, all the Press conferences and the like should be left to the acquiring team and the player himself.

oldrover said:
Being one week into free agency has nothing to do with the PR style of letting popular players go.

Personally I'd rather win Super Bowls.

But there is presidence for keeping popular players past their prime and over their value for the fans.

Last edited:
On the general topic of the thread - I have a tough time understanding why BB or SP or SOMEONE from the organization doesn't just give Troy a call and tell him where things are.

I have no problem with the team making an unemotional decision to let him go, but there's no reason they need to make their job tougher if indeed they want to re-sign him for short money

Multiple sources close to Brown said the receiver has yet to hear from the Patriots and is miffed at a perceived lack of respect after 13 years of service to the organization. Those sources say he’s prepared not to duplicate last offseason, when he spurned more money from the New Orleans Saints to return to the Pats.

Last edited:
oldrover said:
It's tough to see how the Pats spend to the cap this year, at the rate they're going. I'm not saying they should make big FA splashes, but I certainly hope they lock up some guys... Seymour, Branch... and I really think the front office needs a course in PR. Letting all these guys go and giving the perception (true or not) that it's all just business is not helping their image. I know, image doesn't win games... but it certainly makes a difference in how Pats players and others around the league view the team. And not a good one. JMHO.

No matter how bad the "Old Guard" hates on you. I agree with you 100% If the quality Free Agents out there get the perception that the Pats are an Ice Cold buisness machine. They will stay away. Believe it or not.

In Bill I trust, sometime

RayClay said:
Personally I'd rather win Super Bowls.

But there is presidence for keeping popular players past their prime and over their value for the fans.

Don't be ridiculous. You can have good PR and win Super Bowls while properly valuing players (which I think they do very well). The two aren't mutually exclusive.

fgssand said:
Seems to me the players leaving for the money are the ones that have an image problem. After all their talk of team and togetherness, they scramble for the extra dollars faster than duck finding water.

Respect is all they want until they get a better offer. I have no problem with Givens or Willie Mac taking the money - but please, don't whine about being disrespected because we did not feel you were worth the money you found. DGIV where is the appreciatoin for all that you were taught by the Patriots? F where is the realization that they tool you from a lowly 2nd day choice and molded you into a number two. Yes, you worked hard, but you learned from the best. Willie Mac - shame on you, all those years, all the love, all the 55 jerseys, all the talk about respect, you sir, disrespected the Krafts and the area by the comments you made on the way out as you grabbed your 12MM goldmine. Your comments this afternoon may be to little to late for my liking.

I can only imagine what we will hear from the "disprespected idiot kicker" if he leaves. How can he embrace Gino one year and leave the area that idolized him the next? Is he nuts? Is his agent on drugs? He could have years of endorsements, appearances, radio & TV spots for years to come. I cannot believe he will leave for what may amount to but a few more million over 3 or 4 years.

Please, Mr. modern athelete, do not bite the hand that fed you and do not disrespect the game.
now thats what im talking about.

I an quite sure the Patriots FO has a "master plan". I would think that ALL NFL have a plan. Since there are so many variables involved, to have our plan translate into 3 out of 4 SB's is incredibly fortunate. I'm on the bandwagon. When I see a mass exodus of players leaving and not wanting to be part of the NE Patriots team I'll think about about not paying as much attention to the team as I do now. My hunch is that's gonna be a long frikkin time from now. :rocker:

JoeSixPat said:
On the general topic of the thread - I have a tough time understanding why BB or SP or SOMEONE from the organization doesn't just give Troy a call and tell him where things are.

The Pats probably don't know "where things are" with Troy Brown right now. It depends, in large part, on who they acquire at the WR position in free agency. Suppose they end up with Branch, Keyshawn, Moulds, Caldwell, and a first round receiver in the draft?

Troy Brown certainly doesn't want to hear it, but he's a vet minimum "fill-in" player at his age.

hwc said:
The Pats probably don't know "where things are" with Troy Brown right now. It depends, in large part, on who they acquire at the WR position in free agency. Suppose they end up with Branch, Keyshawn, Moulds, Caldwell, and a first round receiver in the draft?

Troy Brown certainly doesn't want to hear it, but he's a vet minimum "fill-in" player at his age.

Wouldn't this scenario be nice. Wow. We'd all be booking our SB's trips now.

cdillon28 said:
No matter how bad the "Old Guard" hates on you. I agree with you 100% If the quality Free Agents out there get the perception that the Pats are an Ice Cold buisness machine. They will stay away. Believe it or not.

In Bill I trust, sometime

I am really hating on your posts.......you are clueless. The NFL is a business. the players will go to the team that pays them the most. We will spend our 100/M. We choose to spread it amongst the entire line up and employ solid depth players that are positoned from 25-45 by not overpaying for top names, kickers or back ups. We will pay what the value of the player on this team is set at by the smartest management team of them all.

Yet - you choose trust BB, sometimes. I suppose those times were limited to Feb 2002, Feb 2004 and Feb 2005.

oldrover said:
Don't be ridiculous. You can have good PR and win Super Bowls while properly valuing players (which I think they do very well). The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Examples? Bucs, Steelers. Besides them the other three examples are us.

Then again, neither of those teams have repeated.

The Cowboys great teams straddled the salary cap period, (cap instituted in 1993),so there is no comparison there.

So there is only one example of how to repeat in the salary cap era.

And we're it.

oldrover said:
It's tough to see how the Pats spend to the cap this year, at the rate they're going. I'm not saying they should make big FA splashes, but I certainly hope they lock up some guys... Seymour, Branch... and I really think the front office needs a course in PR. Letting all these guys go and giving the perception (true or not) that it's all just business is not helping their image. I know, image doesn't win games... but it certainly makes a difference in how Pats players and others around the league view the team. And not a good one. JMHO.

Relax. Breathe deeply.

Haven't we all learned by now that "genius" and "perfection" in the NFL is merely an abstraction? That the best anyone can hope from a head coach is that he is capable of using his players to their limits and then some, and having them so well prepared that by the time the playoffs roll around, the team has as decent a shot of winning it all as any?

Would you think we would have a better shot at winning more Super Bowls this decade if BB left and we had to find a new head coach?

And so far as free agency goes, have we forgotten BB's ability to find tremendous value more often than not? Sure there have been mistakes (Starks, a few players in '02), but he's more than made up for this with the likes of Patten, Rodney, Vrabel, Roman, etc.

Bills the guy. He can stay as long as he pleases if it were up to me.

godef said:
Haven't we all learned by now that "genius" and "perfection" in the NFL is merely an abstraction? That the best anyone can hope from a head coach is that he is capable of using his players to their limits and then some, and having them so well prepared that by the time the playoffs roll around, the team has as decent a shot of winning it all as any?

Would you think we would have a better shot at winning more Super Bowls this decade if BB left and we had to find a new head coach?

And so far as free agency goes, have we forgotten BB's ability to find tremendous value more often than not? Sure there have been mistakes (Starks, a few players in '02), but he's more than made up for this with the likes of Patten, Rodney, Vrabel, Roman, etc.

Bills the guy. He can stay as long as he pleases if it were up to me.

Amen brother - nobody is better at it than our own BB.

Last edited:
There's nobody I'd rather have as GM/HC than BB, either.

That doesn't mean he's perfect.

oldrover said:
I agree...pretty ridiculous...VERY..

oldrover said:

Seriously, you see these free agent losses as huge issues because you follow the team closely.

If you follow other teams you will find much more dissension and dissatisfaction.

Problems also occur in camp, during the season and post-season, especially if you don't make the playoffs.

To say we have bad PR or a bad image, you need to compare it with other teams.

Show me the teams that have less contract, dissension or PR problems.

You can even include teams going nowhere, (happy losers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes