PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I trust in BB... however...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's tough to see how the Pats spend to the cap this year, at the rate they're going. I'm not saying they should make big FA splashes, but I certainly hope they lock up some guys... Seymour, Branch... and I really think the front office needs a course in PR. Letting all these guys go and giving the perception (true or not) that it's all just business is not helping their image. I know, image doesn't win games... but it certainly makes a difference in how Pats players and others around the league view the team. And not a good one. JMHO.

oldrover said:
It's tough to see how the Pats spend to the cap this year, at the rate they're going. I'm not saying they should make big FA splashes, but I certainly hope they lock up some guys... Seymour, Branch... and I really think the front office needs a course in PR. Letting all these guys go and giving the perception (true or not) that it's all just business is not helping their image. I know, image doesn't win games... but it certainly makes a difference in how Pats players and others around the league view the team. And not a good one. JMHO.

I agree but I'm cautiously optimistic that BB and Pioli have a Master Plan...I just hope it doesn't involve Chad Brown/Monty Biesel/Duane Starks type of players again. :eek:

Last edited:
oldrover said:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the message board.......

We are one week into free agency. Can you hold this thought until training camp? If we are in the same position then as we are today, then feel free to re-post and I will be the first one to back you up!

Being one week into free agency has nothing to do with the PR style of letting popular players go.

Who the heck cares who's popular or not? You pay a player for their production Givens is over payed for a #2 guy, and Willie got old. **** happens, deal with it and move on.

oldrover said:
I really think the front office needs a course in PR. Letting all these guys go and giving the perception (true or not) that it's all just business is not helping their image.
A course in PR...explain that..what you would do if you were the Patriots??? WHat have the Patriots not done?? Have you heard anything at all from them regarding Givens or McGinest other than good words????

Last years free agent aquisitions were a total disaster. Fans have the right to be a little concerned as we watch cornerstone players leave the organization with out a hint of activity ,unless you count signing an unproductive cast off wide receiver. With that being said management deserves a pass for last year based on their success. Football must be played and managed for the now. With cap issues and injuries you cant count on sh** , even 2 or 3 years from now. We have a nucleus to win now if we add the right free agents and draft picks. I am tired of the blind following that managemnt gets. I appreciate their past success as much as anyone, but would like to know they are still awake at the wheel!!! Lets be bold and win now.

oldrover said:
Being one week into free agency has nothing to do with the PR style of letting popular players go.

It certainly does. What PR work do they have to do right now?

Givens got more $$$ than most people here thought that the Patriots should have paid him. Willie got more $$$ than most people here thought that the Patriots should have paid him.

Bob Kraft and BB called Willie after he was released. It just wasn't the call that he wanted to get. We haven't heard directly from Troy Brown that he is unhappy. Someone told someone who told someone is not a statement from Troy.

Please tell us exactly what you want them to do for PR. Just don't throw a bomb.

hodgey said:
We have a nucleus to win now if we add the right free agents and draft picks. I am tired of the blind following that managemnt gets. I appreciate their past success as much as anyone, but would like to know they are still awake at the wheel!!! Lets be bold and win now.
Are we playing tomorrow??? I didn't know we had a game scheduled..what time is it???

Pats726 said:
A course in PR...explain that..what you would do if you were the Patriots??? WHat have the Patriots not done?? Have you heard anything at all from them regarding Givens or McGinest other than good words????

I haven't heard anything out of them. That's the problem. Hell, they could have had a big press conference when they released Willie, with BB reiterating what he's meant to the franchise and saying he hoped they could still come to an agreement, but that regardless, Willie was a great player, yadda yadda yadda. Is that so hard? Doesn't compromise negotiating position at all, but shows the players and the fans that the team appreciates the man.

I'm just sayin'... :D

Pats726 said:
A course in PR...explain that..what you would do if you were the Patriots??? WHat have the Patriots not done??

Given the cap space available I would have made Willie an offer damn close to what he got in Cleveland!

This was not a good week for the Pats front office.

A new contract with Branch AND Seymore would go a long ways in cheering me up. But I don't think anyone will blame me if I have my doubts on that ever happening.

This attached picture is something we should have never had to see!

Attachments

• WillieJersey.jpg
    WillieJersey.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 116
oldrover said:
I haven't heard anything out of them. That's the problem. Hell, they could have had a big press conference when they released Willie, with BB reiterating what he's meant to the franchise and saying he hoped they could still come to an agreement, but that regardless, Willie was a great player, yadda yadda yadda. Is that so hard? Doesn't compromise negotiating position at all, but shows the players and the fans that the team appreciates the man.

I'm just sayin'... :D
You don't think the organization appreciates all that he's done??? Why a big press connference then?? Would that eb good PR?? Sometimes saying nothing is the best thing at the time. WHy is being quiet a problem?? Maybe you should look back on the last few years and see how they have done things.

Pats726 said:
Are we playing tomorrow??? I didn't know we had a game scheduled..what time is it???

Wow, where would this forum be without your keen insight!!!!

Pats726 said:
You don't think the organization appreciates all that he's done??? Why a big press connference then?? Would that eb good PR?? Sometimes saying nothing is the best thing at the time. WHy is being quiet a problem?? Maybe you should look back on the last few years and see how they have done things.

So if you say ONCE that you appreciate someone, you never have to say it again? I guess you're not married. :D

hodgey said:
Last years free agent aquisitions were a total disaster. Fans have the right to be a little concerned as we watch cornerstone players leave the organization with out a hint of activity ,unless you count signing an unproductive cast off wide receiver. With that being said management deserves a pass for last year based on their success. Football must be played and managed for the now. With cap issues and injuries you cant count on sh** , even 2 or 3 years from now. We have a nucleus to win now if we add the right free agents and draft picks. I am tired of the blind following that managemnt gets. I appreciate their past success as much as anyone, but would like to know they are still awake at the wheel!!! Lets be bold and win now.

That was touching. 2003 season, SB Champions, 2004 season SB Champions,2005 Season playoff team in spite of devastating injuries.

And, they need to prove it to you in 2006, after 1 week of FA? They may be asleep the wheel and they need "fans" like you to keep them awake?:eek:

Sorry, but you are a moron.

Last edited:
hodgey said:
Wow, where would this forum be without your keen insight!!!!
A lot further than with your myopia.

Most of last year's FAs were lost to injury, especially in the secondary with Chad and Duane.

EDIT: However, they definitely miscalculated with the LBs (Chad and Monty)

Last edited:
oldrover said:
Most of last year's FAs were lost to injury, especially in the secondary with Chad and Duane.

Part of that miscalculation also had to do with Ted Johnson's retirement which happened way after both were signed. That kind of changes the situation a lot...but many fail to understand that or politely overlook that that had any impact.

oldrover said:

Seems to me the players leaving for the money are the ones that have an image problem. After all their talk of team and togetherness, they scramble for the extra dollars faster than duck finding water.

Respect is all they want until they get a better offer. I have no problem with Givens or Willie Mac taking the money - but please, don't whine about being disrespected because we did not feel you were worth the money you found. DGIV where is the appreciatoin for all that you were taught by the Patriots? F where is the realization that they tool you from a lowly 2nd day choice and molded you into a number two. Yes, you worked hard, but you learned from the best. Willie Mac - shame on you, all those years, all the love, all the 55 jerseys, all the talk about respect, you sir, disrespected the Krafts and the area by the comments you made on the way out as you grabbed your 12MM goldmine. Your comments this afternoon may be to little to late for my liking.

I can only imagine what we will hear from the "disprespected idiot kicker" if he leaves. How can he embrace Gino one year and leave the area that idolized him the next? Is he nuts? Is his agent on drugs? He could have years of endorsements, appearances, radio & TV spots for years to come. I cannot believe he will leave for what may amount to but a few more million over 3 or 4 years.

Please, Mr. modern athelete, do not bite the hand that fed you and do not disrespect the game.

oldrover said:

Just who would you have preferred they signed last year? It was a weak draft for LB's and they got the best available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back