PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I took a shot at a first round mock with trades, what do you think?

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Here is what I think might happen on saturday. My friends and I get together and each of us put in 20 bucks to see who gets the most correct in a couple of categories. Any thoughts on mine would be appreciated.

1. Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB-The Lions need a new face to the franchise after the decade long debacle that was their front office. Stafford has the all the tools to be a franchise QB and maybe the lions can do it right this time and let him sit and learn for a year.

2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT- It has been no secret that the Rams have been targeting a LT since the draft process started. Smith is a bit raw but has the potential to be an elite tackle in the league for years to come.

3. Denver Broncos: Mark Sanchez, QB-The Broncos trade up to get in front of Seattle to get there QB of the future. Sanchez fits the new offensive scheme perfectly and will have a year to sit and learn before taking over next year. Broncos do have to give up 12 and 18 to the Chiefs.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Eugene Monroe, OT-The Seahawks are the wildcard, and with Sanchez off the board and Curry still on the board, this is a tough pick to predict. I think they see Monroe as their future at LT with the age and injuries piling up for Walter Jones.

5. Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR-This pick is based off of the thought that Braylon Edwards will be dealt on or before draft day. If that happens, they will be desperate for WR help and there is no one better than Crabtree in this draft. If Edwards does not get dealt, look for Curry to be the pick here.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith, OT-The Bengals need help on the offensive line and while Smith has had his issues during the pre draft period, there is no denying his talent. He is a big, physical player that may have the most talent and be most nfl ready of all the lineman, but is the 3rd off the board because of his off the field issues.

7. Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR-The Raiders like em fast, and that is what Maclin is all about. Maclin has elite speed and decent hands, he is also very good in the return game.

8. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyson Jackson, DE-The Chiefs trade back up from 12 to get the guy they really want for their defense. Following the same standard he used in New England, Pioli starts by setting up his DL. Jackson has been compared to Richard Seymour and now with Glenn Dorsey on the other side, they have a very nice, young DLine to work with. The Chiefs give the panthers a 3rd rounder this year and next to move up the 4 spots.

9. Green Bay Packers: B.J. Raji, DT-The Packers very well could have been eyeballing Jackson with this pick as well. Raji helps the conversion to a 3-4 defense by being able to plug the middle which is key to a successful 3-4 defense.

10. San Francisco 49rs: Aaron Curry, OLB-In the big surprise of the draft, Curry is actually the one that slips. Curry is the best all around LB in this draft and gives the niners a fantastic young core of linebackers.

Last edited:
cont.

11. Buffalo Bills: Aaron Maybin, OLB-I think it is too early for Pettigrew to come off the board here and the Bills need a pass rusher. Maybin fits the Bills mold as a pass rushing outside linebacker.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Oher, OT- Jacksonville was able to trade down and still get a player that fills a big need on their team plus pick up some additional draft picks. Oher has the potential to develop into a great LT in the NFL.

13. Washington Redskins: Brian Orakpo, OLB-Orakpo slips a little as well, and while the Redskins could target QB here, they do need a pass rusher. Orakpo has arguably the best first step and will fit the spot vacated by Jason Taylor.

14. New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S-The saints could target Linebacker here as well, but Jenkins is that big, physical corner that they could really use.

15. Houston Texans: Brian Cushing, LB-I struggled with this pick as I really like the thought of the Texans taking Beanie Wells here to pair up with Slaton in the backfield, however the Texans need help on defense and Cushing provides some versatility to play at either linebacker position.

16. San Diego Chargers: Knowshown Moreno, RB-I know that the Chargers resigned LT, but he is starting to show some major wear and tear. Moreno can give LT a break now and then and is a great option if LT cannot stay healthy. Moreno will be the full time starter in 2-3 years and be the new LT.

17. New York Jets: Josh Freeman, QB-While I am not sold on Freeman, he is the last of the QB’s that realistically have a chance to do something in the NFL. Freeman has the physical tools, but will need some time to develop.

18. Kansas City Chiefs: Robert Ayers, OLB- Again, sticking with the same philosophy they had in New England, the chiefs pick up their big “elephant” OLB. Ayers is all over the place as far as where he will be picked, but he does have talent will be a nice addition to the chiefs defense.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Larry English, DE- The Bucs miss out on the last of the QB’s so address another need. English has the skill set to be an elite pass rusher and fits in nicely opposite Gaines Adams. This should help the bucs get pack to that menacing defense that they are accustomed to.

20. Detroit Lions: Ebon Britton, OT- As we have seen in the last few years, OT has become a hot commodity in the draft. Britton has some versatility and would allow the Lions to move Backus inside where he is a much better fit. If last years pick Gosder Cherilus can improve on last year, it should mark the beginning of a turnaround in Detroit.

Last edited:
cont.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Ronald Brown, RB-McNabb wanted more help on offense and he is getting it. They just traded for a top tier LT and now they get a big time runningback to pair up with Westbrook. Brown is a great all around back who can catch the ball and is decent in pass protection. A perfect compliment to Westbrook.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Darius Heyward Bey, WR-The Vikings missed out on all the 1st round talent along the offensive line so they move to another need. They targeted T.J. Houshmandzadeh but lost out to Seattle so they go after a big speed wide receiver in Heyward Bey

23. New England Patriots: Rey Maulauga, ILB-If Maulauga came out last year, some Patriots fans were worried he would not be there at 7 for them to take, now he falls all the way to 23. Maulauga is going to have to prove that he can be a 3 down backer(I think he can) and that he can reign in some of his aggressiveness. If he can, the Patriots will just have stolen another elite player in the draft. Everette Brown is a real possibility here as well.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Everette Brown, OLB/DE-Talk about a free fall. For much of the pre draft process, most thought of Brown as a top 15 pick at worst. Now he is a gift for the falcons at 24. Brown fell because he did not test out as well as many thought he would, but go back and watch the tape, the guy is a beast and will take over Kearney’s job instantly.

25. Miami Dolphins: Vontae Davis, CB-Davis has all the physical tools of an elite corner and some like him as the best in this draft. He slips a little because of some maturity and off the field issues, but under the big tuna, he should excel at a position the Dolphins desperately need help at.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Kenny Britt, WR-After the suprising success that Joe Flacco had last year, it is now time for the Ravens to get him some more weapons. Britt is a big receiver that can stretch the field, just what they need.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT- The Colts do not have too many needs, but the biggest one is at DT. Jerry is that smaller, quicker guy who is a perfect fit for the Colts system.

28. Buffalo Bills: Brandon Pettigrew, TE-Well their patients payed off as they are able to land the top TE in the draft. Pettigrew fills a huge need for the Bills and will be a great all around player for them at the position.

29. Cleveland Browns: Clay Matthews, OLB-Again, I am still assuming that this pick is traded from New York for Braylon Edwards. Wimbley really has not worked out for the Browns and Matthews has flexibility in the system and has some good pass rushing skills.

30. Tennessee Titans: Ron Brace, DT-By now we all should know that the Titans will do the unexpected and this year is no different. This is probably higher than most people have Brace, but he is the perfect replacement for Haynesworth.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Wells, RB-Have the fortunes of the Cardinals changed. After a great run to the super bowl, they now get arguably the best RB in the draft. Wells is a powerful runner who fits into their system very well.

32. Pittsburg Steelers: Max Unger, OL-Unger gives them line versatility on a team that has very few holes.

I don't see Denver giving KC anything to get Sanchez.

Yeah, I don't either. I think McD is fine with his choices at 12 and 18, as he'll avoid giving up 2 prime picks for a gamble on a player who'll demand a huge contract. I think he's learned a little more than that from his experiences here. He can get 2 good players for decent price where he stands now, for an immediate help on defense. If anything, and I don't even really see this--he may take Freeman, IF-- he were left at 18. I think he feels he can at least compete, if not do well, right now with Orton. But he certainly needs help on defense.

On top of that, I don't personally feel that he'd be the one to give KC extra picks either. You could very well be right however, with your assessment of another team trading up with KC to nab Sanchez. Somehow, it feels like Washington would be a good candidate. They're always up for a gamble:D

I think by Saturday evening, a lot of these mock drafts will look silly, a la Final Four bracket pools. No one knows who will trade with who, or who will still be left after about the 1st ten picks. With that statement, they're still fun, and you certainly did a nice job on yours. I feel it's pretty much a guessing game, but that's just my opinion.

no one has any thoughts on this mock?

The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos are contacting teams about trading up for Sanchez. Personally, I don't believe it either.

The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos are contacting teams about trading up for Sanchez. Personally, I don't believe it either.

I concur that has to be smoke. McDaniels wanted Orton, and he got Orton. There are too many needs on that team to give up so much to get a rookie QB.

12+18 are too steep a price to pay for Sanchez. I don't see that happening. However I do see Brown possibly dropping. There are a number of bigger passrushers with upside that could push him into the 20s.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back