Welcome to PatsFans.com

I thought they'd at least wait for his first screw up

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Michael, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

ask any half black-half white person what color they are.....

I bet the percentages of people who call themselves black is ..... um..... I don't know ..... I'm guessing here......about ....uhhhhhhh ........ 100%
  3. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I think it was a slow news day over at BBC today.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Michael, would you care to elaborate on your point, I honestly have no clue what you're trying to say.

As far as the article goes, it's fairly interesting from a scientific standpoint and also from the sociological view of race in our society. Unfortunately, race in our society today is only relevantly defined by how we see each other and how we self identify. If Obama sees himself as "black," and most other people do too, then for all intents and purposes, he is "black."

EDIT - Ok, I think I get it: you are saying that when he starts screwing up, black people and those who want a black president will start disavowing him as "not a real black person?" Sort of like Republicans who now call Bush a "liberal" because he's been so disastrous.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

That would be 100% correct diver. Our race is not determined so much by who our parents are but simply by the pigment of our skin.

If you found a half black/white person who had white pigment...and there are quite a few...people would say they are white. However, I'm not saying what that person would call themselves.
  6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

YouTube - Tiger Woods
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

pretty funny....especially the part when he asks the asian guys if Tiger is asian....

"not even this much!" :rofl:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 2 / -9

Why is it OK to call somebody from Sweden a "Swede" but some slobbering do-gooder loons get all bent out of shape if you call somebody from Japan a "Jap"

People from Greece don't mind being called "Greeks"

Some people call me a "f-cking idiot" I don't mind it.

KILL THE PIRATES BEHEAD THEM
    GOD DAMN MORMONS
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

Hopefully if this election cycle helps us go one more step toward post-racial, we'll have learned something.

The artificiality of the notion of "race" is highlighted by the whole discussion.

PR says our race is not a function of our parentage but our pigmentation. This is absolutely counterintuitive to me. There are many middle easterners who are darker than light-skinned African Americans. They are, by the quasi-scientific "3 race" classification, not Black, but White ("Caucasoid.") By our current American working definitions, there are Indians and Pakistanis who are not considered Black but Asian. You can simply be "White" by self- and group-identification and be darker than many Blacks.

Then we have the weight of American history:

American law, obsessed with race for centuries, declared that "one drop" of Black "blood" (i.e., parentage, grandparentage, etc.,) made you Black.

And now, we have the notion that that was "before", and everything started with recent generations and desegregation.

One can only speculate on the relationships between the Whites and Blacks who interbred prior to Jim Crow, in the era when Slavery was legal. I think that the character of the bulk of those relationships was short of an equal sharing of heartfelt love; I come to this conclusion, of course, via historical context. As if to put a fine point on that context, intermarriage was, at the time, illegal, whether or not one party was a slave.

And so the products of these temporary unions were "Black," regardless of their skin tone.

Now, in the generations after Jim Crow, and especially since the desegregation of the 50s and 60s, we hear that children are "bi-racial." This means that one parent is Black and one White, but that they came to be together in a context of choice and legality. I think this is at the heart of the difference between previous and current treatments of "biracial" birth.

So people grow up with parents of two races, and this gives them two cultures, not just a light brown complexion. They feel bi-racial.

I heard comment from one Civil Rights campaigner at the outset of his run, that Obama wasn't "really" Black, because he hadn't experienced the legacy of slavery, or his parents hadn't, or whatever.

Yeah maybe. It looked to me when I saw pix of him in high school with his friends, like maybe he did take some ribbing, given the difference. Not every place is hard-core racist. What it is to be Black (or White) varies from place to place.

I have only heard of Obama talk about race once, when he addressed it head-on in a speech on race.

What the man himself says is that it's time to get past it, for all of us. People of many hues would do well to work toward that perhaps lofty goal.

Maybe we need to be aware of our shared history as a nation, and sensitive to what devolves from it... and still be able not to be trapped by it.

And Harry, "Swede" is the English language term for a person of Swedish descent or nationality. It is not a short or derogatory form of any other word. "Jap," which you insist you should be allowed to say with no fear of censure, is a derogatory form of "Japanese," made popular during a period of wartime hysteria. War's over.

PFnV
  10. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

At the risk of sounding bias, I make the following observation: He is not culturally an African-American.

As is has been noted Judaism is a race, religion and culture.

Likewise black is both a race and a culture.

The culture of of black America includes slavery. He does not have a drop of slave blood.

The black culture includes a history of segregation. He did not grow up under segregation.

He was raised by a white women. And thus learned her values her way of seeing the world.

Blacks sound different than whites. Just like NY sound different than Texans. Most of the time I can figure out someones race by the sound of their voice over the phone. He sounds like a white midwesterner.

If you listen to his speech "A more perfect union" you realize he understands black culture without embracing it. It is quite clear that his view of the world are very "white." And in it condemn folks like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as much as he does Orval Faubus. The speech pissed off a lot of black leaders.

He understands why folks like his mother-in-law are celebrating the history of a black man being elected without himself being nearly as concerned with the his own race as historic.

While his skin color is dark, he is culturally more white than black.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +571 / 2 / -9

Does anybody on this planet stand up and defend the "White Bastards"----:confused:
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

Who here used the term "White Bastards," other than yourself?
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +571 / 2 / -9

Nobody here, but there are millions of people all over America who use it everyday, it is so common it is just overlooked, it is a favorite among certain comedians.

:bricks:
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Harry gets HBO down Maine.

:singing: -------------- :singing:

//
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +571 / 2 / -9

Those "Obama Groupies" on HBO & MTV love the "F" word, they consider it "Cool Art"