Welcome to PatsFans.com

I thought these were going to be called this year

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Willie55, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

I had forgotten about this play until I saw the picture. The end result was Cassel being pulled down from behind by his shirt/shoulder pads. IIRC even if they get pulled down from behind by their shirt, not just the shoulder pads, it was going to get called. After the play, I went ballistic because Cassel was horse-collared and it wasn't called. So much for improved officiating.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. edgecy

edgecy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought it didn't apply to QBs scrambling out of the pocket. I could be wrong though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  3. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's supposed to be called in any situation. That ref crew will hear about that one in their feedback report.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  4. edgecy

edgecy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I stand corrected.
  5. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

In the picture you can see the ref on the edge of it looking right at the play.
  6. jaychamp

jaychamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Has a horse collar tackle ever caused an injury? Just curious why they made the rule.
  7. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's only in certain situations, unless they changed that also. It never applied to running backs between the tackles, for instance. They could be hauled down by pads legally. Not sure about scambing QBs, but it wasn't supposed to be called in every situation (again, unless that changed as well as extending the rule to include jersey as well as pads).
  8. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

?????

TO? Steve Smith? They made the rule because Roy Williams was breaking WRs ankles by grabbing the backs of their shoulder pads and lifting his feet off the ground, dragging the runner down from behind and causing him to collapse on his own ankles.
  9. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was screaming at the TV to call that. The inane announcer said after the play that the defender eventually let go of the shoulder pad in time so the penalty wasn't called. If those that have the game tape the defender completely pulled him down by the back of the shoulder pads and didn't let go until Cassel hit the ground. It was a textbook "horsecollar" and should have been called. At least he wasn't hurt.
  10. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

FWIW. I saw Favre get sacked with what looked to me to be a horse collar tackle.
    Nothing was called.
  11. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I wonder what the circumstances are...when yes it is and when not..THAT I would think needs clarification.
  12. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can overlook what the second stringers and scrubs do since most of them won't be starting come regular season, although the refs should have caught it. What really troubles me is that the 1st string Falcons cheated on almost every play, and nothing got called. I saw holding, blocks in the back, chop blocks and take-downs. And this was not in slow motion, I only watched the game once, and live. That stuff was obvious, right out there. They were playing dirty with pride.
  13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm glad you mention this. I saw A LOT of Atl holding early on.
    It certainly helped with their success on the ground. Not makin excuses, just saying.
  14. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

From Wikipedia:

"Following the 2004-2005 season, the NFL's Competition Committee reviewed video of the entire season and concluded that the horse-collar tackle resulted in six serious injuries, most notably to Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, who suffered a severely sprained ankle and a broken fibula after a horse-collar tackle."

"Others object because it appears to target one player: Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams, who was involved in four of the six serious injuries caused by the horse-collar tackle in 2005."

Attached Files:

15. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's only for Peyton or any of the "red" states that voted for GW
  16. holyredeemer

holyredeemer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I was yelling at the tv far more than I would normally for a preseason game. Right when Dunn ran for that large gain on the 3rd play from scrimmage to the right side, (the announcers even commented on this) Ty warren was held in the wide open and was forced to miss the tackle which opened up the hole. Chop blocks, and even more holding throughout the whole game.
    I have watched the film twice, and these penalties were everywhere and never called. Then again, it's preseason for the refs too, so I will cut em some slack. I want to see people trying to pull that crap when Seymour gets back.