PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Walsh's HBO interview kind of helps the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Here's the quote from Walsh:

Walsh told HBO that his superiors coached him on how to evade NFL rules limiting the number of camera operators per team to two, and that team officials instructed him on ways to avoid detection.

"The line of reasoning that we would give to other teams for why we need a third camera setup was, 'Well, our coaches want to have a tight shot of the kicker and the holder ... exchange just to go over with the guys in meetings. You know, they want a tight shot, you know, of the quarterback, you know, just to go over the quarterback's footwork and mechanics in meetings,'" said Walsh, who mentioned Patriots video coordinator Jimmy Dee as one of the superiors who coached him.

It seems to me that the NFL rule they asked Walsh to "evade" (which according to Walsh's quote above, was REALLY easy to accomplish, leading you to believe that (a) the rule was more like a loose guideline and (b) opposing teams didn't think that it was that serious) was simply having a THIRD camera taping the game.

This begs the question: Given how easy it was for the legally allowed end zone cameras to tape the coaching signals (we've seen numerous examples of this on the videos released to the press), I've got to think that this practice was either widespread throughout the league, OR, of very little value or importance to most teams. Since it's pretty clear that many teams around the league knew the Pats were doing this, why would they STILL grant them permission to have THREE CAMERAS during road games?

That is what I thought initially as well, especially if you also buy Walshes excuse for holding onto the tapes as examples of what he has done for future employers. If the content on the tapes was illegal then why would you want to show potential future employers? You'll never sell that to the main stream media though, it doesn't fit their agenda.

It seems to me that the NFL rule they asked Walsh to "evade" (which according to Walsh's quote above, was REALLY easy to accomplish, leading you to believe that (a) the rule was more like a loose guideline and (b) opposing teams didn't think that it was that serious) was simply having a THIRD camera taping the game.

This begs the question: Given how easy it was for the legally allowed end zone cameras to tape the coaching signals (we've seen numerous examples of this on the videos released to the press), I've got to think that this practice was either widespread throughout the league, OR, of very little value or importance to most teams. Since it's pretty clear that many teams around the league knew the Pats were doing this, why would they STILL grant them permission to have THREE CAMERAS during road games?

So essentially teams had the opportunity to deny us access, but they chose not to.

Bingo. His accounts are laughable.

"The sign stealer said it was really useful!" That's why the team's 2000 offense was putrid, ranking 25th out of 31 teams, scoring an AVERAGE of 17 points per game. jackass.

"If it wasn't important, why'd they make me do it?" Because they're thorough.

"I have season tickets, so I saw Scarnecchia doing the same thing in Pittsburgh in 2004!" The game was on the road, dipshi#.

"BB knows me! He really, really knows me!" I'm sure he says hello to the janitor, too.

Football was created as a military game. The men who are on the Mount Rushmore of pro football were all military vets. That was why they embraced signals intelligence as part of the game. Nobody ever whined about having their signals cracked to the "authorities". There was too much shame in being a sucker among your peers.

Only today, when the roots of the game have been lost, do we see pansies whining about this crap. Protect your signals, shut up and sit down.

The idea of "fairness" about signals could only have arisen from a "university" perspective. From a military perspective, it's all about cracking codes and thinking out of the box.

There's no doubt in my mind that BB got his method re: offensive signals from his mentor Parcells, who probably got it from the time he worked at West Point. And it's no coincidence that BB embraces the Navy tradition of his father.

Military men laugh at this crap. It just shows how sad and soft segments of civilian society have become, when they get their panties in a twist over this nonsense.

Hey, let's grade football on a curve, too. Let's put an end to excellence.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the Krafts don't knock the stuffing out of

this guy. Walsh is a petty thief who lied on his resume and

probably broke the law by secretly audio taping a private

conversation. Ruin his credibility before he becomes puffed

up too much.

Bingo. His accounts are laughable.

"The sign stealer said it was really useful!" That's why the team's 2000 offense was putrid, ranking 25th out of 31 teams, scoring an AVERAGE of 17 points per game. jackass.

"If it wasn't important, why'd they make me do it?" Because they're thorough.

"I have season tickets, so I saw Scarnecchia doing the same thing in Pittsburgh in 2004!" The game was on the road, dipshi#.

"BB knows me! He really, really knows me!" I'm sure he says hello to the janitor, too.

Football was created as a military game. The men who are on the Mount Rushmore of pro football were all military vets. That was why they embraced signals intelligence as part of the game. Nobody ever whined about having their signals cracked to the "authorities". There was too much shame in being a sucker among your peers.

Only today, when the roots of the game have been lost, do we see pansies whining about this crap. Protect your signals, shut up and sit down.

The idea of "fairness" about signals could only have arisen from a "university" perspective. From a military perspective, it's all about cracking codes and thinking out of the box.

There's no doubt in my mind that BB got his method re: offensive signals from his mentor Parcells, who probably got it from the time he worked at West Point. And it's no coincidence that BB embraces the Navy tradition of his father.

Military men laugh at this crap. It just shows how sad and soft segments of civilian society have become, when they get their panties in a twist over this nonsense.

Hey, let's grade football on a curve, too. Let's put an end to excellence.

Do you honestly believe that the mainstream media (NYT, ESPN, etc) will pick up on these facts? I am sure someone will try to point out that it COULD have been the AFC title game in 2004 (2005, but the 04 season) that was taped, not the regular season game! Such is the twisted mind of the hit and run media today.

Matt Walsh going on HBO will be good in no way, shape, or form for the Patriots. It is going to be HORRIBLE.

I’m actually starting to feel like Kraft might be forced into firing BB over this. I never considered it a real possibility before, but the way the Media is attacking so relentlessly (with no end in sight); I am starting to think that he may not get through this thing after all. :mad:

Matt Walsh going on HBO will be good in no way, shape, or form for the Patriots. It is going to be HORRIBLE.

I’m actually starting to feel like Kraft might be forced into firing BB over this. I never considered it a real possibility before, but the way the Media is attacking so relentlessly (with no end in sight); I am starting to think that he may not get through this thing after all. :mad:

I used to feel that way then the more nonsesne that comes out, the more ridicoulus it is.. It will be over by june..

I agree that this little idiot going on HBO isn't a good thing but Belichick will be fine. Jolly Roger's press conference was the eye of the hurricane, these are now just the strong winds of the aftermath before it dies out. Football shows on HBO aren't exactly strongly viewed, the crap with Sphincter will die down in an election year and the media will move on the basketball and baseball.

God I hope you guys are right. It just seems like the sports media are collectively locked and loaded on the coach right now. I don't think that anything less than his firing will curb their appetite for blood.

I’m actually kind of surprised that none of the major media outlets have called for his head yet, under the guise of “he ruined the integrity of the game”. I fear that it may only take one major story (like Tomasse's) to get the "fire Beli-cheat" machine rolling.

God I hope you guys are right. It just seems like the sports media are collectively locked and loaded on the coach right now. I don't think that anything less than his firing will curb their appetite for blood.

I’m actually kind of surprised that none of the major media outlets have called for his head yet, under the guise of “he ruined the integrity of the game”. I fear that it may only take one major story (like Tomasse's) to get the "fire Beli-cheat" machine rolling.

You are right...but know this: He may be a jerk and even a 'cheater'...but no one can focus on the task at hand like Coach BB. Let the media attack all they want. Once the season starts, it'll be business as usual and the Patriots will go undefeated this year. I feel more confident about a SB victory and even 19-0 this year than I did last year. Keep the faith and know that winning makes everything better. That is all I care about.

Last edited:
Listening to Sirius Satellite Radio going over the transcripts of the interview, I think this is going to be bad for the Patriots. In fact, it might even turn people in support of Specter. They are ripping Belichick and the Patriots right now for covering up that they were taping and how it lends credence that the benefits of the taping are far greater than we were lead onto.

Adam Schein did call Walsh's recount that he only got involved in the whole thing because he got a call from the NYT the Thursday before the Super Bowl basically being blindsided by NYT. Schein said he knows journalists that have contacted Walsh multiple times since September.

Mo...why do you always think think the worst buddy? You have written several times that you felt the Walsh non-story would result in something catastrophic and now that it hasn't, you still have the dark cloud overhead.

The rain has stopped & the clouds are thinning, so step out into the sunshine and stop hanging in the shade.

I hear Walsh only did the HBO and NYT interviews before going home. Too bad, because the more Walsh talks the more holes there will be. I assume the NYT interview will come out Friday. The storm clouds will linger but eventually die down. BB is not going anywhere unless Goodell suspends him...and I don't think that will happen. We got punished for the crime already.

Listening to Sirius Satellite Radio going over the transcripts of the interview, I think this is going to be bad for the Patriots. In fact, it might even turn people in support of Specter. They are ripping Belichick and the Patriots right now for covering up that they were taping and how it lends credence that the benefits of the taping are far greater than we were lead onto.

Rob, it's goint to be very easy to make Specter look foolish. We just have to hope for a few members of the media to focus their efforts on looking into HIM instead of the Patriots.

I believe the juiciness of a political story will ensure that happens!

I don't believe Arlen Specter has a lot of support for his investigation nationally. I may be wrong, but I don't think Patriot fans are the only ones who thought he made an ash of himself.

Last edited:
Adam Schein did call Walsh's recount that he only got involved in the whole thing because he got a call from the NYT the Thursday before the Super Bowl basically being blindsided by NYT. Schein said he knows journalists that have contacted Walsh multiple times since September.

This is OT but if you've ever seen Adam Schein talk he is the most annoying person to watch & listen to. Just had to get that off my chest. lol

Rob, it's goint to be very easy to make Specter look foolish. We just have to hope for a few members of the media to focus their efforts on looking into HIM instead of the Patriots.

I believe the juiciness of a political story will ensure that happens!

I don't believe Arlen Specter has a lot of support for his investigation nationally. I may be wrong, but I don't think Patriot fans are the only ones who thought he made an ash of himself.

I think most people don't buy into Specter's desire for an independent investigation. But based on the transcript of Walsh's interview so far, it definitely isn't going to help the Patriots. At the very least, it is going to reaffirm in the Patriots hater's minds that the Patriots stole their Super Bowl wins. It is more likely to convert a segment of the people on the fence on this issue against the Patriots.

People are being suckers.

Adam Schein is a Jet flunky.

There is nothing wrong with stealing signals.

If the Pats had taken notes and used those to memorize TB's signals, that would have been legal.

They used video instead. Big F'n deal.

Also, keep in mind a transcript is different from an interview. When people look at Walsh, and see his awful toupee, and his hemming and hawing, and his shifty eyes, the impact of his words will diminish a good deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey