PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think this loss is great news (hear me out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
In all 3 of our Super Bowl winning seasons we have sucked in week 1, we lost are first game in 2 of the 3 seasons.

2001 – Lost 23-17
2003 – Lost 31-0
2004 – Won 27-24

Belichick is the type of coach that like to try new things, mix it up, and he will keep trying something until he has seen that it will not work, and then he makes adjustments. He makes those better than any coach in the business, this loss will give him the insight he needs to make the adjustments, and we will move forward successfully as we did in are 3 SB seasons.

I am confident they will straighten out the OL and the defensive scheme. I also think players like Gronkowski, Easley, Vollmer, and Dobson are still works in progress; even Revis is just getting a feel for things. I still view us as strong contenders and I am glad that we highlighted our flaws early in the season so we can work them out now.

Great might have been an overstatement, but I do see positives coming from the loss.

Last edited:
The Pats showed enough to work on today that it should take them up to the bye week.
Solidify an OL, pick a group of 5 and stick with them, and move the defense back to the 4-3 that we have run over the past 2 seasons and we will be significantly better.

Conditioning had a lot to do with the OL and DL playing poorly, they could not handle the heat, the first half we were up 20-10 and it could have been even more.

I just hope that this total ass whoping to our D makes BB understand that we do not have 3-4 personel. I fear that BB will continue to force this defense, even if it continues to show no real promise. Going back to the defense of the last few years, with Hightower at DE from time to time, would be a huge upgrade for our defense.

I just hope that this total ass whoping to our D makes BB understand that we do not have 3-4 personel. I fear that BB will continue to force this defense, even if it continues to show no real promise. Going back to the defense of the last few years, with Hightower at DE from time to time, would be a huge upgrade for our defense.
I totally agree the 3-4 does not work for us. Last season we attempted to use a 3-4 after we traded for Sopoaga and we had similar struggles against the run especially. We moved back to the 4-3 over/under and things straightened out. They had Ninkovich and Jones on the same side today and that just does not make sense to me.

In all 3 of our Super Bowl winning seasons we have sucked in week 1, we lost are first game in 2 of the 3 seasons.

2001 – Lost 23-17
2003 – Lost 31-0
2004 – Won 27-24

Belichick is the type of coach that like to try new things, mix it up, and he will keep trying something until he has seen that it will not work, and then he makes adjustments. He makes those better than any coach in the business, this loss will give him the insight he needs to make the adjustments, and we will move forward successfully as we did in are 3 SB seasons.

I am confident they will straighten out the OL and the defensive scheme. I also think players like Gronkowski, Easley, Vollmer, and Dobson are still works in progress; even Revis is just getting a feel for things. I still view us as strong contenders and I am glad that we highlighted our flaws early in the season so we can work them out now.

Sure hope you are right! There's a long, long way to go ...

2001 - 13 years ago
2003 - 11 years ago
2004 - a decade ago

2014 - 37yr old QB, No offensive line, no defensive play makers. Maybe there's a little bit of magic left, who knows? But there are ZERO comparisons to be drawn between those teams and this one.

Last edited:
2001 - 13 years ago
2003 - 11 years ago
2004 - a decade ago

2014 - 37yr old QB, No offensive line, no defensive play makers. Maybe there's a little bit of magic left, who knows? But there a ZERO comparisons to be drawn between those teams and this one.

I'll add one 1-legged / 1-armed play making TE.

Thank you for providing a positive spin on things, B6. Too much doom and gloom today. Maybe this post can get me out of my funk enough to gear up for the Donkey whooping later.

Belichick did say post-game that he intended to play all the players.

Belichick did say post-game that he intended to play all the players.

He played all of them?!?! To me, it looked like none played... :confused:

2001 - 13 years ago
2003 - 11 years ago
2004 - a decade ago

2014 - 37yr old QB, No offensive line, no defensive play makers. Maybe there's a little bit of magic left, who knows? But there are ZERO comparisons to be drawn between those teams and this one.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

2001 - 13 years ago
2003 - 11 years ago
2004 - a decade ago

So the ball fumbled itself?

2001 - 13 years ago
2003 - 11 years ago
2004 - a decade ago

really? We have the former defensive player of the year in our secondary and another all pro back with him. Collins looks like all he does is make plays or miss tackles but he still makes plays.

So the ball fumbled itself?

Making a defensive play does not = Defensive play maker.

Teddy was a Play maker, Rodney was a Play maker, Assante was a play maker (even if he did blow the biggest of them all), Willie Mac was a play maker, Vrabes was a play maker.

Those guys came up big when we needed a play. Name one guy on the defensive side of the ball, on the roster now, that you'd classify as a play maker? A guy who you have confidence in coming up with a big play when the team needs it bad? Just ONE GUY.

I don't think the loss today is the end of the world, but I don't think it is great news.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats go on a seven or eight game tear after this week, but it isn't because the Pats win Super Bowls when they lose the first game.

I think a lot of what happened today is correctable. The Pats did dominate the first half. It wasn't like they laid an egg the entire game.

really? We have the former defensive player of the year in our secondary and another all pro back with him. Collins looks like all he does is make plays or miss tackles but he still makes plays.

Revis is a GREAT defensive player, and he brings a ton of help to the unit overall, but I wouldnt classify him as a play maker. He's usually so good that QB's throw away from him (even if he didnt play his best game today).

And Jamie Collins?? Really?? Is that who we are hanging our hat on to make the big plays for us?? Let's pump the breaks a little, the kids cherry has barely been popped.

Making a defensive play does not = Defensive play maker.

Teddy was a Play maker, Rodney was a Play maker, Assante was a play maker (even if he did blow the biggest of them all), Willie Mac was a play maker, Vrabes was a play maker.

Those guys came up big when we needed a play. Name one guy on the defensive side of the ball, on the roster now, that you'd classify as a play maker? A guy who you have confidence in coming up with a big play when the team needs it bad? Just ONE GUY.
Rob Ninkovich has done this several times.

I'm just going to beat the Dolphins on Madden 100-0 a few times until I feel better. After that, I'll say that this defense does have playmakers, they just didn't show up this game. The first Buffalo game of 2003 there certainly didn't appear to be any playmakers, but 15 weeks later there certainly were. Give it time.

I just hope that after watching film they have enough to see who was the best combination of o-lineman. It makes me wonder if the loss of Scar is going to affect us more than we thought (maybe he would make adjustments that Goug isn't cable of making). We also need to figure out the defense quickly or Adrian Peterson will destroy us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes