PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think this game against the Chargers will be a preview of the AFCCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I said this in early May and I will say it now,I think today's game between the Chargers and Patriots will be an early preview of this year's AFCCG

I think these 2 teams will be 1 & 2 in the seedings as I think both teams are stacked in most areas that are needed to get to that point barring major injury.

The only teams I see standing in the way that could ruin this would be the Jets or Texans....yes I said the Texans who I think could be a very good team this year.

If this is the case then this game could mean the difference between the Pats having to head 3,000 miles to Cali in January or be home at Gillette where they are near impossible to beat at home IF they get to that round,that is.

This game is only week 2 of a long season but if I am right this could be the one game that makes a huge difference down the line just like it was when the Pats beat the Colts at Indy in week 12 of 2003 with the McGinest stop of James at the goaline,that game ended up being the difference in home field for NE in that AFCCG and could be the case this year....this one is VERY important to win IMO

Last edited:
I said this in early May and I will say it now,I think today's game between the Chargers and Patriots will be an early preview of this year's AFCCG

I think these 2 teams will be 1 & 2 in the seedings as I think both teams are stacked in most areas that are needed to get to that point barring major injury.

The only teams I see standing in the way that could ruin this would be the Jets or Texans....yes I said the Texans who I think could be a very good team this year.

If this is the case then this game could mean the difference between the Pats having to head 3,000 miles to Cali in January or be home at Gillette where they are near impossible to beat at home IF they get to that round,that is.

This game is only week 2 of a long season but if I am right this could be the one game that makes a huge difference down the line just like it was when the Pats beat the Colts at Indy in week 12 of 2003 with the McGinest stop of James at the goaline,that game ended up being the difference in home field for NE in that AFCCG and could be the case this year....this one is VERY important to win IMO

Well, you make a very strong Argument, my friend.

I certainly have the Bolts down for a big turnaround ~ 12-4 and Division Champs, probably 2nd Seed.

If I had to predict a Championship Game, though ~ and I already have ~ it would be us against none other than the New York FootBall Jets.

*I also agree about Planet Hoosten. I predicted them to finally get over the hump and win that Division ~ BEFORE Sunday's Beat Down, mind you!! ~ thanks, mostly, to the arrival of Wade Phillips as DC. But I don't know about them getting past the Divisionals.

I certainly have the Bolts down for a big turnaround ~ 12-4 and Division Champs, probably 2nd Seed.

If I had to predict a Championship Game, though ~ and I already have ~ it would be us against none other than the New York FootBall Jets.

*I also agree about Planet Hoosten. I predicted them to finally get over the hump and win that Division ~ BEFORE Sunday's Beat Down, mind you!! ~ thanks, mostly, to the arrival of Wade Phillips as DC. But I don't know about them getting past the Divisionals.
Houston shored up their secondary which was a major concern last year when they lost games that they were leading in late....this lead to signing former Bengals CB Joseph who I think is one of those underrated but top quality corners who was hidden on a bad team for years.

The Jets will indeed be a tough out....I am going to forecast that either the Steelers or Ravens will miss the playoffs,there will only be one representative from the AFC North and that team will lose early and I would like nothing better that to see the Pats beat Baltimore in the divisional round.

It's still far early to predict anythng in an unpredicable NFL,but deep down you know the teams that are almost near certain to be there and those mentioned above are near certainties with maybe a surprise team jumping in somewhere down the line like Oakland perhaps who is a star QB away from being a very good team again.

Last edited:
The Chargers have a pretty tough schedule once you get outside their division.

Patriots
Ravens
Lions
Raiders (division rivals, swept them last year)
Jets
Packers
Bears

That's 8 potentially easy losses right there. Then, when I look at how that schedule lays out, I see them playing the Packers, Raiders and Bears over a three week span, and playing the Ravens, Lions and Raiders over the last 3 weeks.

It's early, and things can change as soon as tomorrow but, right now, I don't share your feeling about this Chargers team making the AFCCG. I think it's more likely to be a Patriots/Ravens matchup. The Ravens face the AFC South and the NFC West outside their division this season. They should be able to feast on those teams, and they've got the edge on Pittsburgh now.

Last edited:

well it has been before (2007)

i think the competition is tougher this year though for my chargers, with indy more than likely not being in the playoffs

if we get there, that's one opponent we can't look forward to playing

I'm gonna be honest, i just don't see it with them. The Chargers are "loaded with talent" every year. They certainly know how to acquire players, but for some reason....... they always just cannot put it together during the season, particularly early. They always dominate the post-season talk before the season starts, but then just fade away across the season, or more likely just dig too deep a hole to get out of. They are very much in the Texans category in that sense (not to the same degree).

I personally blame it on the coach. I don't think Norv Turner is a good coach. He's always surrounded by the talent that should get him over the top, but just never can get there.

Until either the Texans or the Chargers can prove that they can do it over the long haul of an entire season. I'm not sold that they'll make it to the AFCCG. For that matter, until the Patriots can get over that 1 and done post-season crap of the last 2 years, they won't either.

Don't get me wrong, I think tomorrow is gonna be a good game that the Pats should win (SD usually plays poorly here), but could lose. But it's long time before we can start talking AFCCG for any team.

Last edited:
Too early for me to make any prediction. I don't think you can dismiss Baltimore after they destroyed Pittsburgh who was in last year's Superbowl (and did not lose any players). I don't think of defense when I think of the Chargers. I need a few more weeks.

I have jest beating chargers in the 1st round and Norv getting canned.

Pittsburg vs Ravens/Jets. We got no playoff defense at all

Pittsburg vs Ravens/Jets. We got no playoff defense at all

This is just so dumb on SO many level. Beyond the "its the first game" response. Beyond the noticeable improvements in 3rd down efficiency and red zone success. Beyond the garbage time response. Beyond all these an more, why would you include the Jets as having a "championship defense". Are you aware that the while the Pats averaged an unexceptable 8,5 yds/pass attempt; the Jets averaged a whopping 9.5 yds per passing attempt.

That's right folks The elite, premier, and so far VASTLY over rated Jets defense allowed over 340 yds of passing offense to the Cowboys, and in 13 fewer passing attempts. Oh BTW - they allowed this much passing yardage DESPITE having a loud emotional, season opening, 9/11 ten year anniversary crowd.

So while it is fair to question the Pats defense for giving up too many yards, I cannot FATHOM why you would consider what the Jets did last week any better.....when in fact it was WORSE.

doubt it, Chargers suck.

The Pats, Jets, Ravens, and Steelers were all obviously better than the Chargers last year. I am not seeing how this short off-season could have changed that much. Any given Sunday, sure ... but outside of that they haven't got a chance today.

Once again the Chargers are the "most talented team in the NFL," so once again I expect them to go 1-out in the playoffs. Hell, with Oakland looking pretty darn good and the wild card race most likely going to be tough, I could even see them missing the playoffs (again).

Bolts I see more going 10-6/11-5 range. They are too prone to mental mistakes and will give up at least a couple of games that they should have won ordinarily.

Despite the Ravens de-pantsing the Steelers I don't think that's a team we can count out of the mix in the AFC. Speaking of the Ravens that defense looks fiercer than ever. And their new offensive pieces seemed to have integrated. Right there, that's at least two teams that could finish ahead of the Chargers.

I expect the Pats to be in a tight fight for the AFC title. At the very least I expect them to earn a bye with the talent that they have. That offense is otherworldly and our defense will have the luxury of playing ahead in most games this season. This will limit what other teams can do or might even throw them off their gameplans if they are scrambling to overcome a 2 score lead.

Brady's playing great, picked up right where he left off and puts up 500 yards against the Dolphins. One argument could be come on - it's only the Dolphins. But if it turns out that was actually a pretty good defense that we blew out, well, the rest of the NFL better be really worried.

As far as the Chargers go, getting to the AFC title game is no easy task, and because of their coache's record in the postseason, well I'd say the odds are against them to even make it that far. Texans are probably a shoe in for the division title in the south but that's mainly because Manning is out. They've had a ton of trouble getting over the hump whenever #18 was in the huddle. But props to them, they certainly look improved. Their offense is good, how about that defense though? That was their main weakness last season.

I suppose the idea of this thread is good clean fun. Otherwise it is really truly too early for a thread like this.

:bricks:

It is conceivable that this was a preview of the AFCCG. The Pats are playing as good or better than anyone. The Chargers are still a top team in a bad division.

The things working against San Diego is that they have Norv Turner and I don't think they can win on the East Coast in January.

Both teams have a lot to improve on before we start talking about championship games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes