PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think the Pats are going to work out a long term deal w/ Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It will give Samuel long term security and will help aleviate his high cap hit for this year. It's a win-win for both sides. They wouldn't have franchised him if they weren't serious about him and didn't feel he had high value.

They are working something out....Let cross our finger that Asante stays...Either way both side wins...This is one step towards a whole lot more to come...

IMO sign the deal so there is a bigger cap hit this year than the coming years since the Pats have an abundance of cap space. I dont see them having this much cap space ever again.

It's only a win-win for both sides if we can sign him at a price that represents value. And how quickly we forget we tagged Tebucky and then traded his ass for a package of picks over two years that didn't include a first rounder. And we tagged Adam because we preferred to take a one year cap hit as the highest paid kicker in the league rather than cut that hit in half if it meant we commit to his long term security as one of the highest paid at his position.

I think in Asante's case all the tag means is we were not prepared to let him walk into FA at peak value and preferred his immediate future remained under our control.

A lot will depend on what Clements gets for a deal if they intend to sign him long term this year. Assante is going to think he's worth in that neighbood. If Clement gets what he's supposedly looking for I don't think the Patriots will do the same with Assante.

Unless we sign several high-profile free agents, we'll have plenty of cap money next year and in 2009.

Why should Samuel necessarily work out a long-term deal with us; why not with someone else? As was the case last year, someone will make him happy as well as providing sufficient compensation for the patriots.

It's only a win-win for both sides if we can sign him at a price that represents value. And how quickly we forget we tagged Tebucky and then traded his ass for a package of picks over two years that didn't include a first rounder. And we tagged Adam because we preferred to take a one year cap hit as the highest paid kicker in the league rather than cut that hit in half if it meant we commit to his long term security as one of the highest paid at his position.

I think in Asante's case all the tag means is we were not prepared to let him walk into FA at peak value and preferred his immediate future remained under our control.

Samuel is a much better player than Tebucky Jones is/was, so I don't see us as eager to give him up.

Also in the AV situation, yes the Patriots let him play out his contract under the tag, but the one year franchise tag hit is much lower for a kicker than it is for a cornerback, so absorbing it is not as big a deal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut says they'll work something out. ;)

I'm mixed on this on one hand, he had a great year, but has not stood the test of time. Was this year the exception or the rule? Did he play this well for a contract or is this to his ability? At the beginning of the year he was described as a nickel back, forced into playing full time. At the end of the year there were whispers of him being all pro.

If we do sign him, it should be incentive laden (not sure how that would fly) but he needs to keep up the high level of play that will be consistent with the money on the table. Would not be surprised if he he traded or if he is signed long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back