PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Think the Patriots First Free Agent Signing Will Be A _________?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad ocho.

....guy by the name of Tamba Hali. He's worth our #1 in 2012 (we can still keep N.O.'s) and another in 2013.

....guy by the name of Tamba Hali. He's worth our #1 in 2012 (we can still keep N.O.'s) and another in 2013.

I give the odds of NE giving up two firsts for any player a solid 0%, and that's only because it can't go into the negative.

Matthias Kiwanuka - UFA from the NY Giants - veteran, winner, Boston College kid. Could be a great addition if healthy. He had a serious neck injury but it'll be almost a year since his surgery by the time these guys report.

Matthias Kiwanuka - UFA from the NY Giants - veteran, winner, Boston College kid. Could be a great addition if healthy. He had a serious neck injury but it'll be almost a year since his surgery by the time these guys report.

Amen, Brother!:rocker:

A trade- The Vikings are in desperate need of a Safety first, and CB help. And, according to all of the Vikings' forums (Football Futures, et al), they are going to dump Ray Edwards.

We pick up Ray Edwards, give him the money he wants, and he plays Willie M's old position. He's 26 years old and he's proven himself, plus next year everybody knows, Meriweather's agent is going to come in with some unbelievable demand, saying "Look, he's been to ProBowls." We have more than enough Safeties to fill the void. The guys at PFW agree with that assessment.

I'm liking this more and more - yes I know Edwards is far from a Boy Scout but neither is Meriweather. I think much comes down to whether Edwards ego allows him to earn a long term contract here playing out his contract.

The Patriots structured environment is just the thing for guys who need to jump start their career - and I think most players are ultimately smart enough to know that it benefits them in the long run to demonstrate that they can be a team player under Belichick.

The fact is that Edwards DOES have a lot to prove - both on the field and off - but that this trade could be a win win for all involved.

But while I hadn't previously considered Edwards it was apparent to me that the drafting of a DB high in the draft did not come about by chance, and likely did have something to do with Meriweather.

How about Jason Babin? A veteran who probably won't demand a massive contract, and has some experience as a LB, plus all the measurables and intangibles you could ask for. Titans are changing up their D, so he may not be all that valuable to them. On the downside, last year was his first only good season. It was a doozy, though: 12.5 sacks. Maybe he turned a corner, maybe he got lucky.

Seems like the kind of guy who would appreciate joining a winner. Has only ever been to the playoffs one year, and that was one-and-done as a marginal role player for Philly in 2009.

We can dream, can't we?

I'm liking this more and more - yes I know Edwards is far from a Boy Scout but neither is Meriweather. I think much comes down to whether Edwards ego allows him to earn a long term contract here playing out his contract.

The Patriots structured environment is just the thing for guys who need to jump start their career - and I think most players are ultimately smart enough to know that it benefits them in the long run to demonstrate that they can be a team player under Belichick.

The fact is that Edwards DOES have a lot to prove - both on the field and off - but that this trade could be a win win for all involved.

But while I hadn't previously considered Edwards it was apparent to me that the drafting of a DB high in the draft did not come about by chance, and likely did have something to do with Meriweather.
Out of the suggestions thus far it's the one which appeals to me the most (as well as servicing needs for both teams).

Last edited:
How about Jason Babin? A veteran who probably won't demand a massive contract, and has some experience as a LB, plus all the measurables and intangibles you could ask for. Titans are changing up their D, so he may not be all that valuable to them. On the downside, last year was his first only good season. It was a doozy, though: 12.5 sacks. Maybe he turned a corner, maybe he got lucky.

Seems like the kind of guy who would appreciate joining a winner. Has only ever been to the playoffs one year, and that was one-and-done as a marginal role player for Philly in 2009.

We can dream, can't we?

This is an interesting thought and possibility. My gosh, I just wish we could actually SEE free agency already. Every day that goes by is more and more ridiculous.

.....a guard................................Logan Mankins!

Nnamdi Asomugha

He will take a lower salary for a ring. R.Seymour's advice will be a big factor.

Last edited:
Nnamdi Asomugha

He will take a lower salary for a ring. R.Seymour's advice will be a big factor.

You think Seymour would actually speak positively of the Pats?

Even if we signed an O lineman, he'll just retire during training camp.

In this case, I certainly can agree with your thinking. However, I am going to go against the (conservative) grain ;) and predict that it will be in a position that we could use an immediate impact/depth player...and those 2 positions would obviously either be OLB, or WR. Again, I am not 'expecting' it, I am expecting something a lot, as you say--'less exciting.'

I will combine my thinking and yours, and go with a lesser known, lower profile player ( a la Matt Roth) at either OLB or WR. This would add what I perceive to be one of the final pieces in the puzzle--at a position that did not really get addressed in the draft.
Historically, we sign a lot of FA WRs most seasons, so thats a good choice.

Hopefully we'll be able to talk free agency at some point, so for the sake of having a different conversation, fill in this blank:

"I Think The Patriots First Free Agent Signing Will Be A _________________"?

I'll go with a guard. Simply because if history is any indication, I'm guessing our first one won't be all that exciting :rolleyes:

I'll go with Long Snapper. After that a Fullback and a Gunner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back