PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think the offensive twist will involve this player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
and no, it's not Ochocinco.

I noticed last game two things that stood out:

1. Aaron Hernandez is now 100% healthy, or very close, after slowly healing for most of the season.

2. Danny Woodhead is now 100% healthy, or very close, after slowly healing for most of the season.

We've all forgotten quickly how great Woodhead was last year as a third down back; he hasn't hit many breakaway runs this year, and that's because he's been gimpy. But I saw that burst last week, and just like Chung, Spikes, and AHern, I think we can expect Woodhead to be involved more heavily in the gameplan now that he's healthy.

Although a lot has been made of Ray Rice and his ability to gain yards after the catch, most people forget that we have our own ace-in-the-hole, and he may just change the way the game is played next Sunday. Woodhead could be the x-factor to burn those blitzes and maybe even draw a safety to spy on him, opening up the field for other guys.

I think it's quite a big deal that the Patriots have a guy who was a very dangerous third-down back, among the most explosive in the league for a stretch last year, and they've scored 510 points while barely taking him out of his package. It's the playoffs now, and this could be a huge wrinkle.

My bold prediction: Woodhead gets over ten touches and over 100 yards (combined running and receiving.)

Last edited:
Always said Hernandez is the x-factor of the offense. Hopefully Pats will be able to sign both Gronk and AH when their contracts expires.

If Woodhead can pick up the blitz against guys like Ray Lewis in this game, he will be in, because i can tell you right now that the ravens will win or lose this game based on their ability to outsmart or outplay the patriots protection scheme.

Randy Moss is gonna have a big game.

Heard he has Brady, Gronk, and Welker on his fantasy team.

I think it was sometime around the first Denver game where Woodhead and AH became full speed. Woodhead maybe a little before that. But it's shown, after Gronk and Welker it makes a world of a difference with these 2 fully effective. Branch too.

Unfortunately it seems BJGE is still not 100% and Ridley is still not ready to be the team's #1 back. If we had the 2010 BJGE right now I don't see a defense that could stop us. But at least everyone else seems to be healthy at the right time.

my memory is very poor but last year didnt Hernandez have 100 yards vs them and come up big?

Woodhead caused at least 1 INT this year and Brady missed him a few more times in the flat that I can remember. I like him open field but getting it to him is like shooting a gnat off a pin a 200 yards with a bow and arrow. Not only is he short, he looks like he has T-Rex arms. He needs to be facing Brady on every throw because he can't get his arms up to catch it.

He's great on screens but Ravens seem to cover those well. I don't know, I see much better options unless they are absolutely leaving him alone. And I shudder to think about him picking up Jarrett Johnson on a blitz.

Woodhead is not a good blocker so I really don't want to see him in the backfield much this game since we know the Ravens will be sending pressure. the formations with Hernandez in the backfield will be used a lot this game, IMO and the Ravens won't know how to counter it effectively.

all I kno wis that if I was schemeing, I would go quick counts or no huddle as long as lewis and cody are out there......gas them and have your way in the middle

also, not giving up an 80 yard run on the first play from scrimmage will help

Woodhead is not a good blocker so I really don't want to see him in the backfield much this game since we know the Ravens will be sending pressure. the formations with Hernandez in the backfield will be used a lot this game, IMO and the Ravens won't know how to counter it effectively.

Well they do have the tape from last week, so they have a leg up on the Donkey's. It's a shame we didn't save it as we would have crushed them anyway. It would be good to have him either chipping Suggs coming out or there to block Johnson when they send him on Suggs' side.

my memory is very poor but last year didnt Hernandez have 100 yards vs them and come up big?

Hernandez had 61 yards receiving; Branch had the big day, his first back with the Patriots. Gronk had 1 catch for 24 yards. Rice was kept in check, relatively (28/88 running, 8/38 receiving), but Flacco had actually a pretty good day (27/35, 285, 2, 0).

Hernandez had 61 yards receiving; Branch had the big day, his first back with the Patriots. Gronk had 1 catch for 24 yards. Rice was kept in check, relatively (28/88 running, 8/38 receiving), but Flacco had actually a pretty good day (27/35, 285, 2, 0).

I think Hernandez had a big drop in that 2010 game.

What I don't get is why everyone is focusing on the 2009 game as the last time the Pats played the Ravens. The 2010 game will be more an indication of what the 2011-2012 game will be like.

I think Hernandez had a big drop in that 2010 game.

What I don't get is why everyone is focusing on the 2009 game as the last time the Pats played the Ravens. The 2010 game will be more an indication of what the 2011-2012 game will be like.

What are you talking about? Did you hear the changes we made for next Sunday?

We've cut Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Deion Branch. Welker will be inactive for the game.

We've resigned Sam Aiken. We're putting Chad at #1 to mirror Randy Moss' '09 late season (non-)production. We also just got rid of BJGE, Ridley, and Woodhead, and we signed Maroney and Morris off the street.

60% of the offensive plays will feature Kevin Faulk.

Last edited:

We've cut Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Deion Branch. Welker will be inactive for the game.

We've resigned Sam Aiken. We're putting Chad at #1 to mirror Randy Moss' '09 late season (non-)production. We also just got rid of BJGE, Ridley, and Woodhead, and we signed Maroney and Morris off the street.

Hell, let's dump Waters and Solder while we're at it.

60% of the offensive plays will feature Kevin Faulk.

And don't forget, someone needs to break Brady's ribs.

and no, it's not Ochocinco.

I noticed last game two things that stood out:

1. Aaron Hernandez is now 100% healthy, or very close, after slowly healing for most of the season.

2. Danny Woodhead is now 100% healthy, or very close, after slowly healing for most of the season.

We've all forgotten quickly how great Woodhead was last year as a third down back; he hasn't hit many breakaway runs this year, and that's because he's been gimpy. But I saw that burst last week, and just like Chung, Spikes, and AHern, I think we can expect Woodhead to be involved more heavily in the gameplan now that he's healthy.

Although a lot has been made of Ray Rice and his ability to gain yards after the catch, most people forget that we have our own ace-in-the-hole, and he may just change the way the game is played next Sunday. Woodhead could be the x-factor to burn those blitzes and maybe even draw a safety to spy on him, opening up the field for other guys.

I think it's quite a big deal that the Patriots have a guy who was a very dangerous third-down back, among the most explosive in the league for a stretch last year, and they've scored 510 points while barely taking him out of his package. It's the playoffs now, and this could be a huge wrinkle.

My bold prediction: Woodhead gets over ten touches and over 100 yards (combined running and receiving.)

NO!!!!!!! PLEASE GOD, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see it now......Ravens Blitz, Woodhead get's run over........Brady beheaded. No to Woodhead. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!! PLEASE GOD, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see it now......Ravens Blitz, Woodhead get's run over........Brady beheaded. No to Woodhead. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you've never heard of a screen pass or draw play?

I'm just hoping Hernandez is healthy. That was a big hit he took in the Denver game. And even though he said he was fine, he did not look fine walking off the field

I will be looking closely at the practice participation.

That would be a huge blow not to have him in this next game.

I guess you've never heard of a screen pass or draw play?

So, every time Woodhead is on the field it will be a draw or screen?

Ya, the Ravens wouldn't pick up on that :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Could Ocho be a factor with his knowledge of the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes