PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think the Brandon Tate experiment is over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Rice also had a bad case of the dropsies his rookie season. He turned out to be pretty good. I guess based on the OP's standards, the niners should have cut him then.

Marques Colston just had a drop. I wonder if anyone will even bother putting in a waiver claim when the Saints cut his ass.

Tate looked great against MIA when he caught 6(?) passes and has generally looked good when passes are thrown his way. Granted, he dropped an easy one, but even now and then, every receivers experiences a bad drop here and there.

What is perplexing is after the MIA game and the Moss trade, I thought he would get a little more balls thrown his way on a consistent basis, but that hasn't been the case. I know I've seen him open several times but Brady has looked the other way.

As far as this thread is concerned, it's like Tate's drop today. Sometimes it happens.

Jerry Rice also had a bad case of the dropsies his rookie season. He turned out to be pretty good. I guess based on the OP's standards, the niners should have cut him then.

OK, I know you didn't just compare Tate to Jerry Rice. LOL. Tate has looked nothing like Jerry. And it's not just the drops.

And the "bench GRONK" thread has competition. :rolleyes:

exactly... obviously i would have loved him to catch that but the guy with the ball in his hands is electric. I have seen tonnes of plays on reply where he was open deep when brady decided to hit another receiver. He has been fine i don't know why you are giving him such a short leash... give the kid some time

We all want to keep on hoping that 3rd round pick will come to fruition, and his kick return ability (which hasn't been as explosive lately) has kept us hanging on... but I think it's clear that this guy is not a starting-calibre WR in this league.

I actually don't even see how you can argue this. The guy has absolutely no skills that a WR needs. Takes forever to get to top speed, doesn't cut particularly well, clearly has mediocre hands at best, and can't even adjust to balls very well. Why do we want him?

I hope somehow we can trade for Larry Fitzgerald... now that he wants out.

sorry "dynasty fan", but your opinion is going way to far.

Tate looked great against MIA when he caught 6(?) passes and has generally looked good when passes are thrown his way. Granted, he dropped an easy one, but even now and then, every receivers experiences a bad drop here and there.

What is perplexing is after the MIA game and the Moss trade, I thought he would get a little more balls thrown his way on a consistent basis, but that hasn't been the case. I know I've seen him open several times but Brady has looked the other way.

As far as this thread is concerned, it's like Tate's drop today. Sometimes it happens.

He was wide open today in the first quarter but Brady looked Welker's way instead. Not that there's a problem with that. The only issue is that if he had looked at Tate, it was a likely touchdown as he had beaten his man on a post route.

Didn't Tate also have a ball in the numbers drop last week also?

We'll upgrade through FA or the draft, but for now we have live with him.

Problem is his height, he is not big and definately not physical, so unless he gets "complete" separation, he's not much of a factor for any of those tightly covered balls where you need the physical WR to make a play, with Brandon, that just isn't happening.

With one small WR on the other side, we truly need a 6'2" and up WR on the other side that can be physical to compliment the small finesse Branch on the other side. Hopefully we address this in the off-season.

My real concern with him right now are those kick returns. They've been really poor on a consistent basis recently alot of drives are starting inside the 18 yard line, not good, we need more. He is looking pretty ginger as soon as bodies come in to his area code instead of hitting a seam, he's slowing down, can't have that on KR.

Bad drop for BT today. He really needs to rebound strong...

Marques Colston just had a drop. I wonder if anyone will even bother putting in a waiver claim when the Saints cut his ass.

We wont cut him Colston dropped a perfect pass in the SB. Hes a good guy and player. For us Colston + Henderson = a Johnson or Moss in their prime for little money. I have no idea why no one didn't make an offer for Lance Moore in the off season tho, he's really good.

We wont cut him Colston dropped a perfect pass in the SB. Hes a good guy and player. For us Colston + Henderson = a Johnson or Moss in their prime for little money. I have no idea why no one didn't make an offer for Lance Moore in the off season tho, he's really good.

I was really hoping we would. Quick guy who can get open down the field with precise route running. Not sure why we didn't throw our hat into that ring, but oh well.

I was really hoping we would. Quick guy who can get open down the field with precise route running. Not sure why we didn't throw our hat into that ring, but oh well.

It really scared me that you would, I mean jesus as if your offense is not doing well enough, with Moore, Yikes. I think hes better than steven smith.

Last edited:

Problem is his height, he is not big and definately not physical, so unless he gets "complete" separation, he's not much of a factor for any of those tightly covered balls where you need the physical WR to make a play, with Brandon, that just isn't happening.

With one small WR on the other side, we truly need a 6'2" and up WR on the other side that can be physical to compliment the small finesse Branch on the other side. Hopefully we address this in the off-season.

My real concern with him right now are those kick returns. They've been really poor on a consistent basis recently alot of drives are starting inside the 18 yard line, not good, we need more. He is looking pretty ginger as soon as bodies come in to his area code instead of hitting a seam, he's slowing down, can't have that on KR.

Yea, he's looked pretty horrible lately--really gun shy and not using his speed to his advantage. Could be that the return team as a whole needs to do a better job--he seems to be getting stuffed pretty quickly after he catches the ball.

I think he's perfect for our offense. A lot of those quick passes that Branch and Welker get to set them up in space with the ball in their hands is the type of play that Tate can excel in. I really don't know why he's not given the chance to do so more consistently.

Also, aside from the drop today, he's shown that he can catch the deep pass (one against MIN and against PITT) when given the chance. I think Brady doesn't look his way more often because he may be not as comfortable with him as he is with Welker and Branch.

Yea, he's looked pretty horrible lately--really gun shy and not using his speed to his advantage. Could be that the return team as a whole needs to do a better job--he seems to be getting stuffed pretty quickly after he catches the ball.

Lions ST staff must've seen something that suggested the Patriots would not be able to get a good return if they kicked it into the corner. Hopefully the Patriots can figure out their problems and start getting some better returns for the Jets game.

I was kidding. Of course the Saints won't cut Colston over one dropped pass. I also bet your Saints boards aren't clamoring for him to be cut over one mistake.

A lot of the fans on this site are knowledgable and can actually teach stuff. But there is a contingent on this site that will bash any of our players at the first sign of a mistake. It is sickening.

From what I've seen the average transition time for a WR out of college to the Pro level is about 3 years. Tate missing his entire first year hurt his development as well. So I think some patience is warranted in this case. He did have a big drop but that was the only look he got today. With Branch and Welker so ON, there really wasn't much reason for Brady to look Tate's way.

So knowing that Tate was going to be out his ENTIRE rook year due to injury......BB felt that the kid had great top shelf potential......time will tell ON that prediction.....

Thanks for the ******ed thread OP, this board didn't have enough already.

I was kidding. Of course the Saints won't cut Colston over one dropped pass. I also bet your Saints boards aren't clamoring for him to be cut over one mistake.

A lot of the fans on this site are knowledgable and can actually teach stuff. But there is a contingent on this site that will bash any of our players at the first sign of a mistake. It is sickening.

lol, opps sorry , I should have known better:)

You do realize that colston had 1000 yards receiving in his first year. Funny, people on this thread are insinuating that wide receivers are not supposed to be productive in their first year. Tate is actually in his second year
I think Tate is a 'middle class man' chad jackson. He helps on kick returns and gadget plays like end-arounds but his not an a complete receiver. He could be mike wallace (steelers) type player for us if he develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back