PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think the AFC East division becomes MUCH tougher with other 3 teams FA pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would of been my ideal scenario, Vernon and Groves, but you coach blew the whistle on something he regularly took part of for years.
We still can I believe that if the Patriots believe there are two amazing players in this draft.
They could use the second and third and trade up for groves.
After they'd draft gholston with the seventh.
Mcfadden is an amazing COLLEGE player, he has incredible speed at the COLLEGE level.
But once these safeties and linebackers are bigger and faster.
Once he's in a offense not tailored around for him.
Once he's in the nfl where defensive coaches look at every tendency and twitch to tell if he's getting the ball before he ever does.
He will not be a probowler I happen to think Jerious Norwood is a excellent back and under utilized this far in Atlanta.
With the new coach being a hard nosed guy and so many question marks at qb.
You have to believe they will run alot more.
Micheal Turner can run over and past guys where Mcfadden hasn't proven anything at the professional level yet, according to a draft guru like Mike Mayock Mcfadden is stopped at point of contact doesn't have the power in the legs to run off of players.
Runs too upright, had a fumbling problem in college.
He will sell alot of jerseys i don't doubt that but win games?
I'd have to say no.

you missed the joke. you said I hope your team takes McFadden so we can get Vernon and Groves. How can passing on one player give you 2 guys at the #7 pick? You cant compare Norwood to McFadden b/c Mcfadden is a better and elite talent. Your making many rash judgements b/c I probably guess all you have seen of him is highlight tapes on youtube. McFadden beasted in the SEC which has the best athletes and is the best conference in college football by far. Bush beat up on the rest Pac 10 who never gets guys drafted defensively round one (haloti ngata.......then who?). Of course im sure your going to use the Mike Mayock knows more then me card to hide behind the fact you know nothing about McFadden as a player. You also said McFadden has not proven he run over and past guys at the pro level. News Flash: No one in the Draft has proven anything at the professional level. I disagree highly on the falcons and think you could not find a soul who would not take McFadden over Norwood( who I liked a lot out of college). If I gave you the Falcons you still are 3 teams short of top ten w/ no Jets. If the pats took him you would sing his praises but since they probably wont you penciled him in as a JAG.

Last edited:
It's a moot point your correct arguing with you about what kind of pro Mcfadden will be is ridiculous.
I've seen a total of 2 games by him and he looked awesome.
No one will be as good as Adrian Peterson last year though.
Really do not wanna see the Jet's take the kid in the instance he succeeds it's a nightmare for me to envision Bruschi, Seau, Harrison chasing this kid down the center of the field.
On that note who does the jet's fan base want the jets to select.
I'm flipped flopped myself, between Gholston, Groves, and Cromartie.
I know neither Long will be there unless new england trades up.
Deep down inside i'd rather see new england trade down.
I'm torn on Gholston is a monster looks like a beast is strong as a ox is pretty fast. One poster on here brought up how Gholston relies on power to rush and in the nfl alot of lineman adjust to that better than speed.
Then you have this guy Groves, where everything I've read and seem about him seem positive.
He seems to have a good idea about 3-4 schemes went to a great defensive school played in a excellent conference is very fast has the production to boot.
Seems like a smart guy who is not fool of himself.
My revised draft hope is.
trade to around the 15th spot
Pick up Groves.

don't take it personally, mangnious(sic)...as it stands now 6 wins seems very logical. I'm not a Jet homer drinking the J-E-T-S kool aid...I see no QB, a disgruntled #1 WR, dissension spreading in the lockeroom already(jeezus, it's not even APRIL yet) and a RB that scares NOBODY. For God's sake, Leon Washington is more dangerous than "Bust" Jones. You may HATE the way I see YOUR beloved J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS but the boys in Vegas ALSO think little of your "special" team this season...I mean 70/1 to make the Super Bowl??? That's like bottom tenth of the entire league. Maybe your world killers make a HUGE splash in the draft...that can still happen...but don't go beserk here making tons of posts because we're not drunk on Jet kool-aid like you are.

It's a moot point your correct arguing with you about what kind of pro Mcfadden will be is ridiculous.
I've seen a total of 2 games by him and he looked awesome.
No one will be as good as Adrian Peterson last year though.
Really do not wanna see the Jet's take the kid in the instance he succeeds it's a nightmare for me to envision Bruschi, Seau, Harrison chasing this kid down the center of the field.
On that note who does the jet's fan base want the jets to select.
I'm flipped flopped myself, between Gholston, Groves, and Cromartie.
I know neither Long will be there unless new england trades up.
Deep down inside i'd rather see new england trade down.
I'm torn on Gholston is a monster looks like a beast is strong as a ox is pretty fast. One poster on here brought up how Gholston relies on power to rush and in the nfl alot of lineman adjust to that better than speed.
Then you have this guy Groves, where everything I've read and seem about him seem positive.
He seems to have a good idea about 3-4 schemes went to a great defensive school played in a excellent conference is very fast has the production to boot.
Seems like a smart guy who is not fool of himself.
My revised draft hope is.
trade to around the 15th spot
Pick up Groves.
Personally i feel the Pats will trade down b/c they are excellent and trading down, finding excellent value and stockpiling picks. By trading down from 7 you can still probably get Groves, Cromartie or Gholston around 11-14 range and an extra 2nd and 4th. Im not really sold that Gholston will be way better then the rest of the other 3-4 OLB's i.e. Harvey, Avril or Groves. My worst dream is that you guys trade down and pick up and extra 1st for next year and take Rodgers-Cromartie. That kid is a physical specimen. He reminds me of his cousin and is like the Randy Moss of corners. Also the Pats could help add some youth to LB, CB and possibly add some help to the o-line wiht the extra picks racked up. I just see too many positives for the Pats not too trade down

don't take it personally, mangnious(sic)...as it stands now 6 wins seems very logical. I'm not a Jet homer drinking the J-E-T-S kool aid...I see no QB, a disgruntled #1 WR, dissension spreading in the lockeroom already(jeezus, it's not even APRIL yet) and a RB that scares NOBODY. For God's sake, Leon Washington is more dangerous than "Bust" Jones. You may HATE the way I see YOUR beloved J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS but the boys in Vegas ALSO think little of your "special" team this season...I mean 70/1 to make the Super Bowl??? That's like bottom tenth of the entire league. Maybe your world killers make a HUGE splash in the draft...that can still happen...but don't go beserk here making tons of posts because we're not drunk on Jet kool-aid like you are.

No offense taken I understand we had an atrocious year last year and still have many holes and ? on this team. Is Pace anything more then Bryan Thomas 2.0? Will Pennington or Clemens be able to offer anything serviceable at QB? How will Jenkins fit in the new system? My fault, sometimes I just get heated w/ my favorite sports teams:p

Who does most of the Jet's fans want the Jet's to take at 6?
Nothing is funnier than seeing the Jet's fans boo their selections.

heated I can understand...I'm STILL burned up about that Super Bowl

Who does most of the Jet's fans want the Jet's to take at 6?
Nothing is funnier than seeing the Jet's fans boo their selections.

Most of us like McFadden. I have fears the Raiders will take him w/ crazy Al. I love McFadden but a trade down to the mid teens and Mendenhall would also be welcomed by me.

As far as Jets previous draft. Even I find it funny in that youtube video of Jets draft blunders, that guy who puts his head in his hands after we took Brady instead of Sapp. My favorite is the Rogers Vick pick and that one guy who screams out NOOOOO! during the pick
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98
However, the Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed pick still ticks me off b/c I loved him at the U.

Last edited:
you missed the joke. you said I hope your team takes McFadden so we can get Vernon and Groves. How can passing on one player give you 2 guys at the #7 pick? You cant compare Norwood to McFadden b/c Mcfadden is a better and elite talent. Your making many rash judgements b/c I probably guess all you have seen of him is highlight tapes on youtube. McFadden beasted in the SEC which has the best athletes and is the best conference in college football by far. Bush beat up on the rest Pac 10 who never gets guys drafted defensively round one (haloti ngata.......then who?). Of course im sure your going to use the Mike Mayock knows more then me card to hide behind the fact you know nothing about McFadden as a player. You also said McFadden has not proven he run over and past guys at the pro level. News Flash: No one in the Draft has proven anything at the professional level. I disagree highly on the falcons and think you could not find a soul who would not take McFadden over Norwood( who I liked a lot out of college). If I gave you the Falcons you still are 3 teams short of top ten w/ no Jets. If the pats took him you would sing his praises but since they probably wont you penciled him in as a JAG.

Look, DMac isn't getting past ole Al at #4 anyway so put the DMac at #6 thing to bed. You'll have your choice of #50/Ellis or Dorsey, take your pick and we'll let the other two slide because we're drafting Ro-Cromartie anyway.

Yes the Jets did improve, I'm not going to argue they didn't. With the icecream schedule combined with just half-decent QB play from either one of those two pieces of mediocrity that Jets fans call a QB, and you win 8 games. I'm warning you now though, now that Jenkins got his cake, literally "cake", I have a feeling he's going to roll over like a dog. This guy has a history of quiting and don't be surprised if his motivation-level drops down a gear or two. To be honest, I don't see much of an upgrade over DRob. Actually I thought DRob played better as the year went on. As far as Woody goes, that's hilarious and a complete waste of money. He's a backup tackle in this league right now (projected position). He's also two hostess twinkies away from eating himself out of the league, he's doughy and he's built for the interior, not the edge. Speed rushers on that side are going to tear him a new one. Speed DE's and OLB's are going turn him inside out, that was a bogus, non-needed signing. The only good thing is one of the two pieces of mediocrity dropping back to throw will atleast be able to see the opposing helmet and uniform bearing down on them, thankfully they're both righties. Anthony Clement can't be that much worse than Damien Woody, I'll tell you that.

Yes, you definately overpaid for Calvin Pace, a guy that averaged a little under 3 sacks a seaon for his career who just happened to pick it up in his contract year and still could only register 6.5 sacks (7 mill per annum?? - YIKES). If he's your primary pass rusher, and it looks like he's tabbed for that if you're passing on Gholston, good luck pressuring the QB.

Still........ Faneca, the #6 pick, Revis in year 2 and the cupcake schedule, I'll hand the Jets 8 wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wait, let me take the 8 wins back because of the Mangini factor. I'll downgrade it to 7.

:confused:But their talent level for this season will be way better then last years team, how is that regressing?

Sorry I'm so slow to respond.

Yes, you're right that their talent level will be better next year. But their talent level next year is not a particular threat to the Patriots, IMO, and their signings will, in the long term, make it more difficult to become a true threat in the AFC East.

As I said in my original response, I take the long term view.

It's tougher but not by alot, i don't really see much competition for the divisional title.

08 is going to be a tough season for Pats to compete because NFL teams will be healthy and improved. Pats needs to play O and D equally well.

Sorry I'm so slow to respond.

Yes, you're right that their talent level will be better next year. But their talent level next year is not a particular threat to the Patriots, IMO, and their signings will, in the long term, make it more difficult to become a true threat in the AFC East.

As I said in my original response, I take the long term view.

You are aware that despite our big spendng spree we are still very comfortable cap wise. Especially after we cut D-slob.

Last edited:
I think the toughest part of next year for the Pats, is the 5 trips to the West Coast...The Dolphins are about 3 years away from being truly competetive, the Jets are about 2 years and a Solid QB away (especially if they do somehow get Dmac). The Bills are always just on the edge of being good but find a way to blow games. No idea why that team is so cursed...

I think the Pats, (As an objective fan) will be fine in the AFC East, will win the East again and lock up a Playoff Spot by playing smart solid football.

Couple years from now, that could change. But they'll be fine (which as an "objective fan" I hate because that means they'll probably give us a tough game in a spot we need a win).

I think the Bills will be tougher this year and should finish a relatively close second to the Pats. I think it is possible that the Pats will not run the table in the AFC East and will lose at least one game, most probably at Buffalo. I look for the Pats to go 14-2 or 13-3 in 2008. The Jets have made a lot of moves, some good and some questionable. I think that they are at least somewhat making moves out of a panic and/or frustration. The NY fans are pretty upset after a dismal 2007 and one more season like that might spell the end for Mangini and/or the GM. Changing around the team as much as they did can easily backfire if all the new parts don't mesh well.

I think the toughest part of next year for the Pats, is the 5 trips to the West Coast...The Dolphins are about 3 years away from being truly competetive, the Jets are about 2 years and a Solid QB away (especially if they do somehow get Dmac). The Bills are always just on the edge of being good but find a way to blow games. No idea why that team is so cursed...

I think the Pats, (As an objective fan) will be fine in the AFC East, will win the East again and lock up a Playoff Spot by playing smart solid football.

Couple years from now, that could change. But they'll be fine (which as an "objective fan" I hate because that means they'll probably give us a tough game in a spot we need a win).

Its only 4 trips to the West coast. Oak, SD, San Fran, and Seattle.

Personally, I hope they switch it up so no team has to do that in a given year. Its going to be interesting to see if they keep the same rotation beyond 2009 or if they mix it up a bit so that there is less traveling in a given year. In other words, the AFC East wouldn't play the AFC West and the NFC West in the same year, as is the case this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back