PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Stallworth met expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think both him and Randy stay (which you noted might be the case.) The only exception I can think of is if he just loves winning, and sees himself being Randy's "understudy" until Randy runs out of gas or good vibes, and getting paid accordingly.
Regardless of how Stallworth sees himself, he stays unless the Pats say otherwise. He has a five-year contract.

He has a contract on paper, but both sides will have to agree to honor it, as we have seen go wrong before.
What choice does Stallworth have?

Last edited:
The Front Office has guaranteed that 2006 will not be repeated. We will never have another year without even one quality wide receiver. Stallworth and Welker are signed long-term. They are stars and the base for the future.
I see absolutely no reason to tear up Stallworth's contract because we were able to add Moss. Stallworth's contract is a fine contract. He can be one of our top receivers for many years. Stallworth has done everything asked of him, and then some. And yes, he is all-pro, who can add yards after the catch.

We COULD ask Washington to take a major cut or leave. I wouldn't. Washington also has done everything asked of him and is a PERFECT #5 receiver, a player who could step in as needed, but be a top special teamer when not needed as a receiver. We haven't needed him this year as a receiver. He hasn't whined. He has just done his job. This is just the kind of player that we should want to build our team around.

So we have a base of Stallworth, Welker and Washington for the next four years. That is AWESOME! The wide receiver position will NOT be a weakness for Brady again.

There are many unknowns. But these challenges make a solid group into a great receiving group. There is no reason to give up the base, just because we add quality. Moss may or not be re-signed, and who knows how many years he will play. Ditto for Gaffney. Jackson may give us value in 2008 and/or 2009, or not. The point is that we do not need rely on any of this. The Front Office saw the light, saw the gaping hole in the 2006 team, and solved it for the next several years!

For the handwringers with regard to the cap, please understand that the patriots are one of two teams who understand the cap better than anyone on the inside or outside (well expect for Miguel and Adam).

Please repeat after me. "We are not in cap trouble. We have not been in cap trouble since before the 2003 season, and we will not be in cap trouble for the foreseeable future." This is Kraft's promise to you. Please believe and understand that this is a constant, the constant that will guarantee competitive teams, teams with a shot at the playoffs and Super Bowl, every year that Kraft owns the team. I am not saying that we should discuss the cap and cap effects. Surely, I enjoying doing so. But, in the end, I know that this will never be a worry.

There are some things they could do in restructure that he might not mind, like paying some money sooner against scrapping some later. But they really don't have to. His cap hit once his option bonus and even roster bonus money is converted to signing bonus drops exponentially. If he's a $3.5-4M cap hit for 2008 and 2009, and then a $7-8M cap hit in 2010-2012, that's not necessarily unworkable. Moss is 4 years older than Donte and could easily be gone or wearing down substantially by 2010. And the AAV cap for #1 WR's by then will likely be double digits and a new TV deal will be looming. I'm just not sure you want to walk away from a 27 year old legit #1 signed to a reasonable deal for 5 more years and put all your eggs into the 31 year old Moss basket. Brady can do more with less, but the more you give him the more he can do, too. Can take substantial heat off a transitioning defense, too.

Between Gaffney and Donte we have at least solid #2 potential so I really don't think either of them will be the 'must have' guy as long as we keep one.

Stallworth is an all around WR - if the team needs him as a deep threat he can average 19 ypc like last season. If they have a deep threat he can be a jack of all trades like this season and 15 ypc.

No disrespect to Gaffney - he's made some GREAT CLUTCH catches - but he's a 10-13 ypc guy. I almost look at him as a TE in terms of production.

The MAIN DIFFERENCE between choosing between one or the other on the team is this:

What happens if Moss gets injured?

Who will step in to be the deep threat to keep defenses honest. Gaffney? Exceptionally doubtful.

If you could have only one on your team the choice is obvious - its Stallworth. Otherwise you're going back to last season with no deep threat and defenses stacking the line. Gaffney might as well be Caldwell if we have no deep threat.

I have been very happy with Stallworth's ability to run after the catch, and much less so with his ability to catch the ball. Having said that, as people look to next year and discuss Stallworth vs. Gaffney, there's another receiver being overlooked. Chad Jackson will be another year removed from his injury. The team will, no doubt, assess his game and try to figure out where he'll fit in. It may be that Belioli determines that C.J. is the next Bethel, it may be that C.J. will be the next Gaffney, and it may be that C.J. will be the next Donte. I think his progress and perceived NFL skill set will be a vital part of the decision making process.

I have been very happy with Stallworth's ability to run after the catch, and much less so with his ability to catch the ball. Having said that, as people look to next year and discuss Stallworth vs. Gaffney, there's another receiver being overlooked. Chad Jackson will be another year removed from his injury. The team will, no doubt, assess his game and try to figure out where he'll fit in. It may be that Belioli determines that C.J. is the next Bethel, it may be that C.J. will be the next Gaffney, and it may be that C.J. will be the next Donte. I think his progress and perceived NFL skill set will be a vital part of the decision making process.

I'm not disagreeing - we'll see what happens with Jackson. But they key for Stallworth will be whether there's a new deal with Moss.

They will do their best to lock up Moss before they have to pay Stallworth another installment in his contract. If they don't sign Moss, Stallworth stays. If they sign Moss Stallworth restructures or gets let go probably.

I like having them both but I'm not sure we can afford both contracts.

stallworth took a market deal when he signed. he took less than deion branch a year later. Just because he played for less does not mean he will be told "sucker" by biolli and good luck.

At 27 both wes and stallworth are going to be here with brady.With moss age he can be more of a marvin harrison with more skils then reggie wayne.
remember wayne came on his own at 27 on his own after playing with manning for 4 yrs so give stallworth 1 more year.

also from preseason c.j jones is going to be in the squad next year then chad jackson .jones was fast and also he has returned punts/kickoff to TD in college and actualy wll be a awesome addition to spl teams to spell wes welker.jones is thesame size as welker but is very fast.

Regardless of how Stallworth sees himself, he stays unless the Pats say otherwise. He has a five-year contract.

What choice does Stallworth have?

Let's say for the sake of argument, that Stallworth believes he should be paid the money he is due for the upcoming year.

Let's say the front office tells him, well, here's the thing, Donte, when we figured on you being worth 30 Mill, with 18 M by the end of next year, well, we were thinking we didnt have Randy Moss. So if you don't want to re-do that deal, it breaks our hearts but we have to cut you.

Of course it would be couched in different terms, but that's the bottom of it all - there might be a looming question of "Have you really shown you're worth that cash, to this team?"

Well, I'm not in the FO, but I also don't think we pay the amount due NOW for a guy with under 50 catches, who we figure is being retained mainly as insurance. I know he's cheap for a #1, but not so much for a #2. And #2 for the Pats isn't all that. We have a slot guy putting up the #2 numbers.

You really sure we insist on the deal as it stands for 5 years? Or is he maybe trade bait?

PFnV

Let's say for the sake of argument, that Stallworth believes he should be paid the money he is due for the upcoming year.

Let's say the front office tells him, well, here's the thing, Donte, when we figured on you being worth 30 Mill, with 18 M by the end of next year, well, we were thinking we didnt have Randy Moss. So if you don't want to re-do that deal, it breaks our hearts but we have to cut you.

Of course it would be couched in different terms, but that's the bottom of it all - there might be a looming question of "Have you really shown you're worth that cash, to this team?"

Well, I'm not in the FO, but I also don't think we pay the amount due NOW for a guy with under 50 catches, who we figure is being retained mainly as insurance. I know he's cheap for a #1, but not so much for a #2. And #2 for the Pats isn't all that. We have a slot guy putting up the #2 numbers.

You really sure we insist on the deal as it stands for 5 years? Or is he maybe trade bait?

PFnV

All of that assumes Moss is signed, correct? Otherwise the negotations are VERY different.

And I don't doubt Stallworth could be worth that contract on another team.

At the time we signed him we didn't have Moss and I don't have a doubt he would have earned that salary now and moving forward. Double that production WITHOUT Moss on the team isn't a stretch of the imagination.

I think the deal is structured so that we could trade him and not have an adverse cap hit, no? I think he might need to restructure slightly for another team though - they might not be keen on guaranteeing him $6 million or so next year and beyond.

I think the deal is structured so that we could trade him and not have an adverse cap hit, no? I think he might need to restructure slightly for another team though - they might not be keen on guaranteeing him $6 million or so next year and beyond.

joe the problem is we offerred a contract where a bar of performance was [only biolli knows] if met he gets the money and the contract he wanted if not we cut him. i do not think they will trade him trades are rare in NFL and also no other talent would ask for a prove it contract .He left money on the table in maimi to come to new england with a confidence that he can achieve his money.Now the question is it worth 2 million dollars to loose FA in the future never taking such a offer ?

he wanted a contract and it was offerred so he is not going to turn around and say i believe i am worth more. it is funny how the fans prepective has changed with moss wanting to stay and in his goodness of heart will take a good deal but stallworth has become bad and thinks he is all that and bad for the team...so it fits the story line,

Last edited:
joe the problem is we offerred a contract where a bar of performance was [only biolli knows] if met he gets the money and the contract he wanted if not we cut him. i do not think they will trade him trades are rare in NFL and also no other talent would ask for a prove it contract .He left money on the table in maimi to come to new england with a confidence that he can achieve his money.Now the question is it worth 2 million dollars to loose FA in the future never taking such a offer ?

he wanted a contract and it was offerred so he is not going to turn around and say i believe i am worth more. it is funny how the fans prepective has changed with moss wanting to stay and in his goodness of heart will take a good deal but stallworth has become bad and thinks he is all that and bad for the team...so it fits the story line,

No - I think it's public knowledge when his next bonus kicks in after the season. Effectively he's on a one year deal with OUR option for next year and beyond.

What I'm unclear on is whether those count as "likely to be earned" roster bonuses that impact our cap if we cut or trade him.

I don't think they do but I could be wrong.

All this is academic until we have Moss signed. Stallworth wouldn't be cut until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes