PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Think People Forget Dion Lewis' Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the poster last week that was comparing him to Barry Sanders? I admire his optimism, but found it to be a bit too early for such a bold statement. :cool: Wish I could remember who it was.

Well, Matt Millen started the comparison when he was at Pitt in a vid I posted

Honestly, I have not forgotten Lewis' 2015 season AT ALL! Been thinking about it all year actually, but quite simply; we don't need him right now. James White; while not as talented, has done a fine job in his absence. Anything the Pats do will be geared towards the playoffs. Bring Lewis back when he's as close to healthy as possible (maybe Nov- Dec to get him acclamated to game speed & the physicality) & there's Ring # 5 :D

Who was the poster last week that was comparing him to Barry Sanders? I admire his optimism, but found it to be a bit too early for such a bold statement. :cool: Wish I could remember who it was.
I'll give benefit of the doubt and presume the comparison was not based on overall ability or production but only in the freaky stop-start, weird angle cuts both can make - that "joystick" thing - and I can see that. Difference is, in Barry Sanders case it was something he did every week for 10 years. Okay, he missed like 5 games one year.

What we see:

images

What Dion sees:

images

He is the one. :D

He averaged 4.8 yds a carry and 10yds a catch and had some electric plays I certainly did not forget. I like White as a receiver(alot) but he clearly the worst runner we have had a 3rd down back when compared to Vereen/Woodhead/Faulk etc.

I actually feel like people are talking up Dion's return just a little too much. I like him and he's good but I don't think he's going to make a world's difference in what is already a very good year from our RBs. Yes it will be better, but not 5X better.

What I'm really happy about is the extra depth we will have at RB if/when he comes back, regardless of who is getting the most carries and catches from the backfield.
I really think Lewis does improve our offense significantly because of his potential for explosive plays.

He adds a dimension that White & Blount can't touch.

5 times better? Lol...even Randy Moss didn't make us 5 x better!

I'm in the camp that Lewis is a dynamic player and is a significant boost over what they currently use at RB.

It will be interesting to see how Dion recovers from his injury. If he can still play at the same level, it is going to be amazing!

It will be interesting to see how Dion recovers from his injury. If he can still play at the same level, it is going to be amazing!
This is the key ... how Dion's knee responds moving forward. What he did last year is ancient history.

Allegedly the definition is being ranked high in points against scored and nothing else matters.

I've heard something to that effect.........there may be something to it

I've heard something to that effect.........there may be something to it
I would argue things like time of possession, field position, and big play turnovers are important. But that's just crazy me.

I love Dion Lewis. LOVE HIM. But the offense is different now than it was a year ago. With the 2 tight-end offense we've dreamed of since the prisoner was cut finally back in form, a better offensive line, and Blount running like he stole it, it's hard to say if Dion will get as many touches even if healthy.

One big question for me (putting on my Madden hat): if JE11 is in fact not healthy, could Dion Lewis (or White for that matter) play the slot? It seems like with his skill set it's possible.

Last edited:
I would argue things like time of possession, field position, and big play turnovers are important. But that's just crazy me.

Time of possession: NE ranks 11th in that category with an average of 29:02 opponent TOP. Better than Denver, who ranks 25th. I know the Denver defense is one you like to cream over though (yet they also give up more points than we do.)

Big play turnovers: Tied for 11th in forced fumbles (once again, higher than Denver) and tied for 14th in INTs, just 1 INT behind Denver and 2 INTs away from being tied for 6th. However, we've had two huge safeties the last two weeks, one of which completely changed the game. We're tied for #1 in safeties, btw.

And of course, we're #2 in PPG allowed.

So by your definition, this defense is better than Denver's.

Time of possession: NE ranks 11th in that category with an average of 29:02 opponent TOP. Better than Denver, who ranks 25th. I know the Denver defense is one you like to cream over though (yet they also give up more points than we do.)

Big play turnovers: Tied for 11th in forced fumbles (once again, higher than Denver) and tied for 14th in INTs, just 1 INT behind Denver and 2 INTs away from being tied for 6th. However, we've had two huge safeties the last two weeks, one of which completely changed the game. We're tied for #1 in safeties, btw.

And of course, we're #2 in PPG allowed.

So by your definition, this defense is better than Denver's.
That's not my definition.

Total opponent TOP factors in NE's amazing ball dominant offense, which has nothing to do with the defense. Where do they rank in opponent TOP per possession?

Your stats just proved they aren't elite in terms of turnovers.

And you conveniently didn't address field position because you know they have been awful on 3rd down and forcing teams to punt deep in their own zone.

And the Vikings clearly have the elite defense this year, I wonder how NE's stats match up with them.

Dion Lewis if he comes back as the same player will be a great piece to have. He really can be special. I just want to be sure they manage him so he is healthy for the playoffs.

At this point i assumew Lewis is back after the bye cause why bring him back early? Pitt will either not have Ben or a hobbled one and White is not a huge drop off from Lewis really so no need to rush.

The games I want Lewis 100% for at this point are Seattle, Denver and all 3 playoff games. If he can give me those and be back in the form he was pre-injury here i will be very happy.

That's not my definition.

Total opponent TOP factors in NE's amazing ball dominant offense, which has nothing to do with the defense. Where do they rank in opponent TOP per possession?

Your stats just proved they aren't elite in terms of turnovers.

And you conveniently didn't address field position because you know they have been awful on 3rd down and forcing teams to punt deep in their own zone.

And the Vikings clearly have the elite defense this year, I wonder how NE's stats match up with them.

That is your definition. It's literally what you said, and now you're trying to change your argument.

TOP per possession will obviously be greater for teams who get out to large leads and start playing soft zone coverages that allow the opponent to dink and dunk their way up the field with the specific goal of making them use up a lot of clock.

As far as field position, I ignored it because it's dependent on a number of other factors. But we're ranked 8th lowest in terms of % of drives that have started in our own territory. So that's not an issue for us.

it's a valid argument......I mean points only have meaning when it comes to results and standings...otherwise, they are completely useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes