PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Matt Roth would be a solid signing for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he would have been a good, solid pick-up for the Pats before he went to Cleveland. Not really sure why Belichick didn't give him a look.

PFW in Progress were talking about this earlier!

But they did say he had short arms :)

Yeah, 30 7/8 inches. For comparison, Cunningham's are 33 3/4, and Aldon Smith's are 35 3/8. :eek:

Ever hear it isn't the size it is what you do with it?

Many times!!

And ALWAYS from RUNTS who ultimately admitted they had 4'' ****ERS!!!
jester.gif

Matt Roth has averaged 3.5 sacks per over his 6 year NFL career. In 2008 he had his career high in sacks with 5.0. When an injured Tully Banta Cain's sacks dropped from 10.0 last season to 5.0 this season, everyone was furious. Well apparently TBC's bad year in sacks equaled Roth's best year.

Tully's sacks are not nearly as much of an issue as his inabilitiy to set the edge.

While I definitely think we need another OLB, I say pass on Roth. He seems like a bit of a tweener and not very athletic.

Tully's sacks are not nearly as much of an issue as his inabilitiy to set the edge.

Agreed. If we want a guy to set the edge against the run, Roth is fine. As a pass rusher, not so much.

Wasn't Matt Roth the one who got into it with Matt Light after a Point After attempt when the Pats were trouncing the Dolphins a couple years ago??

I've always thought of Roth to be a thug in the Joey Porter mold....

It should be noted that Roth was jettisoned my Sporano in Miami and the Pats passed on him in waivers..

Matt Roth, ladies and gentlemen:

~ Tremendous Skill Set and size for the gig.

~ Adaliusian Attitude.

PASS.

I remember his workup before he was drafted...short armed,workout maniac that made that jump in weight we so often attribute to HGH use early in college,good motor, so so instincts,long on brute strength and short on technique. Nothing he has done as a pro really disputes this.I recall numerous board members mentioning Mike Ruth when discussing the pros and cons of Roth...FWIW

Re: Matt Roth as a FA option for us at OLB?

There was a thead about this recently....the consensus was that he has t-rex arms

There was a thead about this recently....the consensus was that he has t-rex arms

Still, I don't think anyone will be all that surprised if it happens.

And based on what we've seen during his career, attitude might be a problem.

Whether the Pats pick him up or not, he can be a good 3-4 situational pass rusher for some team.

Id rather have Ray Edwards (yes, I know he is restricted) or Kiwanuka.

Id rather have Ray Edwards (yes, I know he is restricted) or Kiwanuka.

Kiwanuka would be my first choice. Don't know about Edwards though. Not sure he could make the transition to 3-4 OLB. He might be able to, but don't know. At least Kiwanuka has had experience playing OLB and a two gap system eventhough he has never played a two gap 3-4 OLB. Edwards also could be a bit of a problem. He did try to shoot his way out of Minnesotta before last season and he is professionally boxing during the lockout and claims he wants to continue fighting matches even after the lockout ends. I doubt the Pats will pay him if he is going to box in the offseason.

I doubt Roth could add much to this team. He's never really accomplished anything, and it's not like he's been stuck behind better players. Little more than a depth guy on any team expecting to win, I think.

I doubt Roth could add much to this team. He's never really accomplished anything, and it's not like he's been stuck behind better players. Little more than a depth guy on any team expecting to win, I think.
Yes, thank you. How many threads do we have to have about this guy? He isn't any better than any of our current OLBs. Big deal if he has a big name. Roth is the most overrated defensive player on the market.

Kiwanuka would be my first choice. Don't know about Edwards though. Not sure he could make the transition to 3-4 OLB. He might be able to, but don't know. At least Kiwanuka has had experience playing OLB and a two gap system eventhough he has never played a two gap 3-4 OLB. Edwards also could be a bit of a problem. He did try to shoot his way out of Minnesotta before last season and he is professionally boxing during the lockout and claims he wants to continue fighting matches even after the lockout ends. I doubt the Pats will pay him if he is going to box in the offseason.

Kiwanuka would be my choice. That said, his medical history is a big concern not to mention giving up a 2nd round pick. If he checks out medically, and having 2 number 2's, a 2nd might be worth giving up for him.

The sporting News projects Roth and Shaun Ellis coming to the Patriots. And Matt Light going to the Chiefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes